Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Notices

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

mites, anyone?

This thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1247 times.

Old 04-22-2011, 11:55 PM   #1
ThePeanutBird

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

ThePeanutBird is on a distinguished road

mites, anyone?

Anyone have any experience with mites with your parrotlets? scary thought. How did you deal with it and get rid of them?
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #2
ParrotletsRock

Parrotlets Owned: 1

ParrotletsRock will become famous soon enough

My budgie hen had scaly face mites... she had been in close contact with my p'let so I took her to the vet and had her treated... brought home meds to treat him... selemectin was used and it cleared up no problem.
ParrotletsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 12:51 AM   #3
Explorer

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Explorer is on a distinguished road

no.. thank god.. eeekk
Old 04-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #4
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Jinx n Noodle is a jewel in the roughJinx n Noodle is a jewel in the roughJinx n Noodle is a jewel in the rough

I had scaley face and leg mites in 2 of my parakeets when I was younger. I tried treating with a product that I got from the petstore. It made it better, but it didn't solve the problem. Eventually took them to the vet who gave them a shot and they were cured I also had a cockatiels and Jinx then, but the vet said that since they weren't showing any symptoms and the mites usually don't from one bird to another, then I shouldn't have to treat the other birds in the home.

As a side note, it took about 1 year for it to spread from the parakeet that had the problem to the my other parakeet and they shared a cage; they rarely interacted with the tiels or Jinx.
Old 04-23-2011, 09:50 AM   #5
koolaidsmiiles

koolaidsmiiles is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx n Noodle View Post
I had scaley face and leg mites in 2 of my parakeets when I was younger. I tried treating with a product that I got from the petstore. It made it better, but it didn't solve the problem. Eventually took them to the vet who gave them a shot and they were cured I also had a cockatiels and Jinx then, but the vet said that since they weren't showing any symptoms and the mites usually don't from one bird to another, then I shouldn't have to treat the other birds in the home.

As a side note, it took about 1 year for it to spread from the parakeet that had the problem to the my other parakeet and they shared a cage; they rarely interacted with the tiels or Jinx.
oh wow do you know how they can get it in the first place? and can it be transfered to other animals in the house such as dogs/cats?
koolaidsmiiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:21 AM   #6
ParrotletsRock

ParrotletsRock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaidsmiiles View Post
oh wow do you know how they can get it in the first place? and can it be transfered to other animals in the house such as dogs/cats?
They can come with your bird when you buy it... it takes 6-12 months to get to a point that you notice it... it is very contagious with direct contact. Dogs ,cats and people cannot get them. It is easily cured by the vet . Outdoor aviary birds can get it from wild birds that visit the aviary.
ParrotletsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:28 AM   #7
jodeg

jodeg is on a distinguished road

Another good reason to take your new bird to an avian vet for a new bird wellness check!
Old 04-24-2011, 01:25 AM   #8
Nemo

Nemo is on a distinguished road

Newbie question

Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad that I found this site. I've spent the whole afternoon reading all sort of things on parrotlets. I am really new to these beautiful little creatures having just fostered one from the local shelter. The little chap has hardly any feathers on it's body but still has wing and tail feathers. How often does these birds molt? I am taking it to a vet on Tuesday just to be sure it's not a parasite that's bothering it. What dear little things they are. We've called "ours" Azul. If it was mites how would I tell? He was looking pretty itchy today and while preening he would clean his beak off quite often and it seemed like the "feathers" that were coming off are like downy feathers but they seem sticky to me. Thoughts?
Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 11:48 AM   #9
trenac

trenac is on a distinguished road

Welcome Nemo... Sorry can't help you, pretty new at this myself. Sure some other folks can help though. Kudos for you being a foster parent. Any plans to adopt?
Old 04-24-2011, 04:53 PM   #10
Venus

Parrotlets Owned: 10+
Experience: Parrotlet Breeder

Venus is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to Venus
Welcme Nemo!

First let me say how proud I am that you have fostered one of these angels instead of buying one. I hope you can end up keeping it yourself (if you choose to), since he will bond with you and would be happier there. You obviously have a caring heart to share with him. God Bless you for your efforts!

Can you post a picture of him so we can see? If there are that many feathers missing, it does not sound like a molt to me. He may be picking, or they my be just falling out due to a parsite or ven a nutritional problem. I am glad you are getting him to the vet - that is my suggestion anyhow!

Is he on pellets only, seed only - what is his history?

My parrotlets in general seem to molt 2-3 times a year, but the heaviest molt seems to be in the early Spring (Feb-Mar) -- right before breeding season for them.

I have never had a mite problm with parrotlets, though I have with parakeet, cockatiels, and on the legs of my macaw. I have found nothing anywhere that says whether or not parrotlets even get them. Whatever you do, DON'T use those mite-protectors that the pet shop has - they are toxic to our parrotlets!

Those little downy feathers are often "sticky" or staticy - can't hep you there. Though I do hope he leaves them alone so that he has at least a little covering.

In the mean time, make sure you are keeping him warm enough, as he can chill easily with no feathers. Also be sure he is getting the right nutrients in his diet &/or with specific supplements.

Please feel free to message me if you want to talk!
Best of luck with little Azul,
Kim
Venus is offline   Reply With Quote