Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Bogie's eating update!

This thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 281 times.

Old 02-16-2017, 01:36 AM   #1
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Thumbs up Bogie's eating update!

Thanks to Grace, one of our special forum supporters, I found out how to help Bogie gain some weight.

When Bogie started his slide into thinness, I got worried. He started out weighing 34 grams ans slipped down to a dangerous 23 grams! All within a month's time. I couldn't tell he was even on me when he sat on my finger!

I tried everything and one of our regular readers contacted me and suggested that I should allow her to send me about 2 dozen samples of different foods for Bogie to eat. From pellets to dried goods to seeds, Bogie was about to be exposed to a wonderful supply of a variety of YUM YUMS. But he proved to be picky.

He started to eat a little, here and there. He liked the Golden Feast Austrailian Blend, then Higgin's Mayan Blend, then Golden Feast Petite Hookbill Blend, etc. Etc. This seemed to motivate him a little bit. There were dried grains that he ate. Different sizes of Rowdy Bush pellets didn't excite him at all. Etc. Etc.

He wouldn't eat any veggies. NO fruits. Hardly a treat was ingested. He became excitable and nervous. THEN, something happened that got my attention. It was when he became interested in every movement that I made.

If I got up to walk into another room, he flew to me and hung onto my shirt. If I prepared my lunch, he was all over me and my wrists! If I put him in his cage, he would call and call until I returned. He was going nuts. I was smothered by him. He even followed every command I made!

If I said , " Come here, Bogie, ' he would immediately fly to me. No hesitation. I would say, " Give Mommy a kiss," and he would give my wife a kiss. This was weird.

I finally got him to start eating again. It was so simple. You see, when my wife and I ate our breakfast or dinner, we ate in a different room than Bogie. He had his food prepared for him next to his cage that was on a large counter. He ate at the same time as my wife and I, except he would eat on and off during the day, too. Snack here and snack there was his routine.

He quit doing this. He refused to eat breakfast or dinner by himself. He did not eat snacks that were at his cage area during the day. He only would drink water. He just got it in his mind that he would not eat alone! Period.

So, the other day, I put his breakfast dish with his veggies and seeds and other foods next to my plate, at the breakfast table. I called for Bogie to come to me and he did. AND, he ate. AND ate. He made his usual mess, but he ate! My wife sat there and was amazed. He ate what I prepared for him. We moved his water dish to the table and he would get water as he ate. We did the same thing for dinner. He ate his food. He ate his treats.

Why did he all of a sudden, after eight years, have to eat with us? He always ate by himself, except for when we gave him some treats. I now have a couple of seed bowls next to my recliner and he snacks at them during the day. He has to be with my wife or me in order to eat. Something has clicked in his mind that he wanted changes. His refusal to eat alone is a new one for me. He was actually starving himself because he did not want to eat alone. He has been on this new kick for 3 days now. He has quit following me all over the house. He does not call out to me all the time now.

I have never seen a bird act like Bogie. For eight years, he has surprised me to no end. I have never been so close to an animal as I have been with Bogie. He is more human than some politicians!

I hope he keeps eating. At this rate, he will be fat again.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 08:30 AM   #2
rizzie5022

Parrotlets Owned: 1

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

Glad to hear he is eating again.
Old 02-16-2017, 09:13 AM   #3
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Good news! Bogie is quite the character! I'm glad that he has started eating again You will need to get a tiny chair and tiny placemat for him

Old 02-16-2017, 10:02 AM   #4
Grace

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Grace is on a distinguished road

That is wonderful news, David!! I never even thought of him wanting to eat with you. I know when we eat in the den, all the birds go down to their food dishes and eat too. And I feed all the birds a nutriberry or two when they are out with me. What about the growth on the side of his beak? Is that coming back?
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:15 AM   #5
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a name known to allozzie3860 is a name known to allozzie3860 is a name known to allozzie3860 is a name known to allozzie3860 is a name known to allozzie3860 is a name known to all

I should have thought of that. We had a similar problem when Jules lost her mate. She was not eating or only eating the minimum. She dropped 3 grams in a week. Finally figured she would only eat correctly when we were with her. It has gotten better but she still will not eat till we are close to her. When we are away all day she eats the bare minimum and waits to either eats with us or I have to sit with her and hold her bowl while she eats. When I do this she sits with her back to me and chows down. I figured with Bo gone she feels exposed eating by herself but when we are around she feels more secure. She eats facing away from us since she knows we are safe and she can face the world while eating.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 11:32 AM   #6
Malachi
Super Moderator

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Great to hear he's eating! That's adorable that he's gone to flock eating after all of these years. That's how I got Sky to eat various soft and fresh foods when she was young. Ozzie suggested it and it worked like a charm. Today, though, she's a bit to bossy to eat with me...she gets too excited.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 12:37 PM   #7
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Yay! What a relief! I did not think if this either. Melody has a thing lately where she always wants to eat at night before bed, and you have to literally hold her dish and let her sit on your finger.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 06:43 PM   #8
Malachi
Super Moderator

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
Yay! What a relief! I did not think if this either. Melody has a thing lately where she always wants to eat at night before bed, and you have to literally hold her dish and let her sit on your finger.
Ah, the spoiled little diva!
Old 02-16-2017, 10:33 PM   #9
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Thumbs up

Thanks for the concern!
The vet e-mailed me and said he had only heard of this a few times.
Bogie is a clown, but today was a good day. I have to sit next to him while we eat. He ate a lot of food today compared to the past few weeks. This is weird!
I have always fed him the same way each day for 8 years! I did not know he was so lonely! Of course, he had seeds to eat whenever he wanted, but he just stopped eating his regular amount.

I fed him veggies and eggs, etc in the AM and again in the PM. He was a happy eater until one day he got it in his head that he wanted to be part of the flock eating mentality.

This may sound strange, but Bogie and I watched a TV show about a month ago. It showed a bunch of young birds in an aviary flocking to a food bowl that the human had just put in the cage. They completely covered the bowl. Now, I am not saying that Bogie watched this with me, but he was on my shoulder ( usually asleep), but 2 days later he started to change his eating habits! I know this show did not make him change his eating habits, but my wife reminded me that we had all seen this program just before he changed. Hmmmmmm...Twi- light Zone? Eeeeeewwwwweeeeeeyyyooouuuu!

I just think he needed a change. He is eating better and poo dooing all over the place again! I just never thought he wanted to eat along side of us.
That wart thingie next to his beak is gone! It disappeared inside of his cage. It didn't get as big this time.

I am retired but not bored! (with all this going on!)

Thank you all for caring!
David and Bogie.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 04:54 PM   #10
Malachi
Super Moderator

Lol...I can totally see Bogie watching the show thinking, "Hey, how come I have to eat all alone? That's not right, this needs to change!"