Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Notices

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

HELP! I found bugs!

bed bugs?

This thread has 86 replies and has been viewed 3142 times.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:10 PM   #21
crazyaboutmyparrotlet

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

crazyaboutmyparrotlet is a jewel in the roughcrazyaboutmyparrotlet is a jewel in the roughcrazyaboutmyparrotlet is a jewel in the roughcrazyaboutmyparrotlet is a jewel in the rough

I have known a breeder who told me she got mites once on her outdoor birds. She said she sprayed the bird with a solution and it took care of it along with completely disinfecting the cage with hot water and vinegar. They can apparently get into even the smallest cracks. I have also heard of ivermectin, I believe it was on the budgie forum. This gets rid of mites but I think you can only get that at the vet or maybe at a online bird supply. I think that is the one that you put on topical.

Amber-Owned by & slave to:
Oliver, Gemma, Cozette, & the English Budgie Crew
Instragram @4feathersandfur
https://www.youtube.com/user/4feathersandfur

Last edited by crazyaboutmyparrotlet; 01-06-2014 at 07:13 PM..
crazyaboutmyparrotlet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2014, 07:19 PM   #22
crazyaboutmyparrotlet

crazyaboutmyparrotlet is a jewel in the roughcrazyaboutmyparrotlet is a jewel in the roughcrazyaboutmyparrotlet is a jewel in the roughcrazyaboutmyparrotlet is a jewel in the rough

this was interesting, but there a lot of threads on talkbudgies.com

http://talkbudgies.com/archive/index.php/t-48320.html

Old 01-06-2014, 07:31 PM   #23
mawahr

Parrotlets Owned: 5
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

mawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura about

I've just checked his bed and no new mites. I'm going to check again in a few hours. Since I don't have one to take to the vet I'm only guessing as to the type. Tomorrow the cage is getting a thorough disinfecting! All of the perches are the green plastic ones from vision so I'll soak them in vinegar water as well as the toys. How much vinegar to water should I use? There are some with rope, can I soak these and will they be ok to reuse?

Kiwi and Molly
Gone but not forgotten...
Pee Wee, Miss Peanut, Sweet Pea and Mr Peanut
mawahr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2014, 07:40 PM   #24
crazyaboutmyparrotlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawahr View Post
I've just checked his bed and no new mites. I'm going to check again in a few hours. Since I don't have one to take to the vet I'm only guessing as to the type. Tomorrow the cage is getting a thorough disinfecting! All of the perches are the green plastic ones from vision so I'll soak them in vinegar water as well as the toys. How much vinegar to water should I use? There are some with rope, can I soak these and will they be ok to reuse?
I would wash the rope perches in hot water in the washing machine, or throw them out. That is just me tho.

But if you do all that and he isn't treated, than you put him back with the clean stuff, he will probably reinfect everything.

Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 PM   #25
mawahr

mawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaboutmyparrotlet View Post
this was interesting, but there a lot of threads on talkbudgies.com

http://talkbudgies.com/archive/index.php/t-48320.html
Ok, I read the whole thread and have more questions. I've set the cage in a cream colored sheet and brought it up and over his cage for the night. One suggestion was eucalyptus leaves in the bottom of the cage. Would this drive the mites out of the cage and into my home? If I find any in the morning I'm heading to the vet! And I'm still itching!

Kiwi and Molly
Old 01-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #26
mawahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyaboutmyparrotlet View Post
I would wash the rope perches in hot water in the washing machine, or throw them out. That is just me tho.

But if you do all that and he isn't treated, than you put him back with the clean stuff, he will probably reinfect everything.
I'm getting something from the vet tomorrow so I'll start the disinfecting process at the same time. It only makes sense what you said, he'll keep getting re-infected.

Kiwi and Molly
Old 01-06-2014, 10:13 PM   #27
parrotletzoo

parrotletzoo has a spectacular aura aboutparrotletzoo has a spectacular aura aboutparrotletzoo has a spectacular aura about

I dont know if it helps with mites but a lot of bugs dislike lemon grass. I buy it and hang it for the birds to chew and put some around the cage and in the tray. The birds all love it and it is bird safe.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Green Bean and Nym snuggling after a bath.

Before there was man, the parrot ruled the world. Now man rules the world and the parrot has not forgiven - Native American Proverb
parrotletzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:18 PM   #28
kenhuffman

kenhuffman is on a distinguished road

I have small ants down here in Fla. I would keep my bird out on the enclosed patio, and I did see a small type of ants ONLY when I had food out there. Needless to say, I never leave food outside for her, just millet. I learned that they will "smell" any type of food - maybe you had some food that could have been old and contaminated.
kenhuffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 10:25 PM   #29
mawahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenhuffman View Post
I have small ants down here in Fla. I would keep my bird out on the enclosed patio, and I did see a small type of ants ONLY when I had food out there. Needless to say, I never leave food outside for her, just millet. I learned that they will "smell" any type of food - maybe you had some food that could have been old and contaminated.
Everything I have is new. I have a feeling these have come from where he was originally rescued. It's my understanding there were birds and feces everywhere. It sounds like it was really bad.

Kiwi and Molly
Old 01-07-2014, 10:24 AM   #30
mawahr

Well, after wrapping up the cage in a sheet last night I found more of the little blood suckers! I have at least one adult and another group of about 8 smaller ones that were filled with blood. I took out the bed I laundered yesterday and there were more in there again. It's currently sitting in the snowbank in 2 degree weather! I have a call into the vet and am getting ready to order my new cage. Have all his toys soaking in vinegar water with some dish soap. I'm probably going to throw them all away as well as his food dishes. I noticed they have little crevices where I'm afraid they can hide. Plus I'm still itching but I think that parts all in my head!

Kiwi and Molly