Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Notices

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Question about lighting

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 163 times.

Old 02-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #1
FadeScape

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

FadeScape is on a distinguished road

Question about lighting

Hey everyone,

I had a question about the lighting I use for my parrotlet Ezri. Due to having to leave for work quite early I use a WeMo power outlet to turn on the lights remotely in the room everyday at 11:15 AM. This allows her to sleep in and get her full 12 hours. I get home in time to open the curtains and give her about 3 -4 hours of natural light (until the time change).

Of the 3 lamps, 2 of them are very low power and essentially "mood lighting". I really don't enjoy bright lights so I use this to light my room. The last lamp is on top of her cage and sports a 6500k bulb to try to achieve decent lighting.

So here's my question: Is that bulb going to hurt her eyes eventually? I can barely look over in that corner of the room without that lamp bugging my eyes, but as I said before I really dislike bright lights. Luckily the lamp is mostly directional lighting so I don't see it from my desk. I'm just wondering if its possible that its bugging her as well? When I first installed the light she seemed to enjoy it and chirped about it to let me know, but I am more wondering about long term exposure to it. Thanks!
FadeScape is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Lightbulb

Hello!

At least 12 hours of light is recommended for optimum absorption.
6500k is strange to me. Kilowatts is measured as usage. What I understand is " Wattage" and the placement of the light source.
100 w light is to be shaded and not used as a direct light. 60w is desired and does not need to be shaded, but must not be next to a caged bird. She will not stare at a bright light.

You can put a bird outside in the sunlight and the bird will not look at the sun. They are not stupid. I would say that if you could read a newspaper in the same room as your little sweetie, then you have enough light for most of the day. 3-4 hours of natural light is fine. She can get enough vitamin D from this amount of light.

I am sure I am correct, but ask your vet.

David and Bogie, the parrotlet
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:10 AM   #3
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Hmm, its hard to me to picture your exact situation, but i don't think she would like the lamp right on top of her cage. If you do have a lamp above her, maybe consider getting an Avian floor lamp with the full spectrum bulb.

Otherwise I think the schedule sounds fine. I don't know how your scheduled is, what I do is wake the birds up at 7 when i get up, open all the curtains, by the time I get home at 5 I can turn lights on and then they go to bed at around 7:30. The parrotlet's have little cages in the bedroom where we put them to sleep and cover them. This way they are not disturbed while we are up and about, we usual turn on a dim lamp around our bedtime for about a half hour and it does not bother them.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 02-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #4
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

My experience has been that parrots enjoy bright lights during the day. My cockatiel used to STARE at lights. The brighter it is, the safer they feel because they can see any danger coming. Parrots don't like dim rooms. However, for safety I always simply put a lamp beside the cage and not on the cage because beaks can reach out of the bars and get into trouble. But if the light bulb is sold in the U.S., there can't be any downside to long-term exposure to it. You might have sensitive eyes, but it won't actually hurt people or birds to hang out with it because we do have some safety oversight.
Tumi's light is on timer so that it turns off in the evening. He sleeps in a sleeping cage in my room, and wakes up with me in the morning at about 5:30am. He then goes with me to his day cage which has the lamp on timer beside it. Sometimes I don't come home in time to put him to bed on time (yeah, his bedtime is about 6pm...the downside of my schedule), so I have the lamp beside him turn off so he can be in a bit more darkness.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:43 PM   #5
FadeScape

FadeScape is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies!
FadeScape is offline   Reply With Quote