Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Curious Behavior

Puffing and chirping

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 410 times.

Old 02-14-2017, 07:26 PM   #1
aurora'smomma

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

aurora'smomma is on a distinguished road

Curious Behavior

Hi fellow parrotlet lovers, I am just curious about a common movement and sound my Aurora makes. Has anyone else experienced where their parrotlet will puff up, flap her wings, and make little chirping sounds all at the same time over and over for a minute? My gut instinct is telling me that she is trying to puff up and guard her home, but really I am curious to hear if anyone knows why she does this. Is she showing me attitude? Ha, ha, just curious what she is trying to communicate with this behavior...
aurora'smomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 07:49 PM   #2
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Is there an object or sound that triggers it? This sounds like the intense obsessions they are prone to. Crinkling plastic? Running water? A tissue? A pill bottle?

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 09:25 PM   #3
aurora'smomma

aurora'smomma is on a distinguished road

It is baffling me because there seems to be no trigger (no noises or tissues or pills or anything), besides me just looking at her and talking to her. This is why I thought perhaps this was an aggressive tone she was taking towards me. Not sure!
aurora'smomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
Grace

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Grace is on a distinguished road

Does it happen more when you are standing close to her cage? Jabba has two platform perches close to front of the cage and he does that when he is standing on one of those perches and I come close to his cage. I think he is warning me not to mess with his space.
Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 05:43 AM   #5
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

While cage aggression is very common, this type of behavior is normally how parrotlets show excitement (and obsession) instead of aggression. While sticking your finger through the bars WILL get you bit, I would see this as an excited conversation instead of death threats. Talking to humans is FUN! And fast chirping and fluffed feathers is normally an indication of excitement.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Old 02-15-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a name known to allozzie3860 is a name known to allozzie3860 is a name known to allozzie3860 is a name known to allozzie3860 is a name known to allozzie3860 is a name known to all

This is gonna sound odd but what is your sense about these actions?

When Jules acts out like this I can usually get a feel if she is happy or mad or sad or distressed. I may not understand the triggers but her underlying emotion I can usually read to some degree.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:55 PM   #7
Malachi
Super Moderator

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

It does sound like some sort of excitement, the release of a powerful emotional movement, like great happiness.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 03:50 AM   #8
plutolet

Parrotlets Owned: 3

plutolet is on a distinguished road

Fluffed up & fast chirps sometimes mean excitement? I thought it was always anger? How can you tell the difference if they bite regardless?
plutolet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 05:28 AM   #9
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by plutolet View Post
Fluffed up & fast chirps sometimes mean excitement? I thought it was always anger? How can you tell the difference if they bite regardless?
You will learn the subtle differences, but honestly, when Tumi is actually angry his feathers are slicked. When he is puffed, even when he is biting, he is having so much fun! He LOVES to express himself to the world as the big bird he is! With a parrotlet, though, biting doesn't mean anger. Biting can become a part of any interaction, even those of love. They are so small that their instincts are to lash out to keep themselves safe, so they do. They are mercurial creatures, and anger and love and happiness and biting aren't separate categories and emotions.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Old 02-17-2017, 11:01 AM   #10
plutolet

Parrotlets Owned: 3

plutolet is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoo252 View Post
You will learn the subtle differences, but honestly, when Tumi is actually angry his feathers are slicked. When he is puffed, even when he is biting, he is having so much fun! He LOVES to express himself to the world as the big bird he is! With a parrotlet, though, biting doesn't mean anger. Biting can become a part of any interaction, even those of love. They are so small that their instincts are to lash out to keep themselves safe, so they do. They are mercurial creatures, and anger and love and happiness and biting aren't separate categories and emotions.
Boy do I have a lot to learn! I've been a parrotlet parront for almost 2 years and I'm still learning

Thank you for the helpful response, as always
plutolet is offline   Reply With Quote