Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > New Members Area > Introductions

Notices

Introductions If you're a new member, introduce yourself to the community so we can all welcome you here!

My new Parrotlet, Ollie

This thread has 17 replies and has been viewed 337 times.

Old 02-16-2017, 12:42 AM   #1
ToColla

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

ToColla is on a distinguished road

My new Parrotlet, Ollie

After many months of research I brought home my baby Parrotlet of five weeks. The breeder encouraged me to believe that I could handfeed him until he is weaned and he is saying at a consistent 30 grams so far and I've had him for five days. Ollie is such a sweetie but every day I have new concerns so here are a few.

1) My breeder showed me where his wings were clipped, but he still flies EXTREMELY well. He has made laps in my bedroom. I planned at first to let his wings grow out but I can't imagine him flying even better than how he is already. I've been training him to fly to me so hopefully that will come in handy if he puts himself in danger.

2) I have the best cat in the world that'll care less about birds. My old roommate had an African grey that would bomb dive her and she'd just run, but never attack. Same goes for Ollie, who ignores her back. However, my new roommate wants a kitten. How does one train a little playful kitten not to harm a tiny bird when it flies across the room?

3) My baby Ollie hates his cage. Loathes it. It's such a small cage right now before I move him into his big one, but he doesn't seem happy at all. I always have to fight to get him in and he almost makes a sort of growling noise? I have no clue how to fix that.

Well, those are just a few of my many concerns. I just want to do everything right for my little Ollie. (Btw I didn't know how many cockatiels and parrotlets were already named Ollie until after I took him home and made his own Instagram page. Lol)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1487223721896.jpg (5.0 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg image_1487223734507.jpg (12.2 KB, 20 views)
ToColla is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-16-2017, 09:10 AM   #2
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Precious! I know that growly sound you speak of... it was a common sound from Levi when he was a baby, and even now when he is irritated at me. Nothing to be concerned of.

When I first brought Levi home I was living with roommates and the one girl had a cat. It was definitely a risky move because this cat had never seen a bird before. The first day I left Levi at home to go to work, she forced her way into my door (or was let in... we'll never know...) and pulled down Levi's cage off its stand to get at him.

I just worry that a kitten won't know that Ollie isn't a toy. If she does get a kitten I would recommend you keep Ollie confined to your room only.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:24 AM   #3
Malachi
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Welcome and congratulations on finding your little sweetie! There are a few cats that do very well with birds. I've seen that before, and the first time I saw it I was astonished because I did not think it possible. However, most cats do not do so well with birds, and the birds and cats need to be separated. Personally I'd be very nervous of a kitten or young cat anywhere near my birds. Very dangerous, and tragedy could strike very quickly...something that cannot be undone. I'd suggest keeping your bird in a different room and handling your bird away from the new kitten. Good luck with the lovely sweetie of yours!
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-16-2017, 02:36 PM   #4
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Hello! Congratulations on getting Ollie! (It's a cute name, don't worry I have a Rosey Bourke named.....Rosey...Lol)
I just read a great thread by another member titled "constantly peeping" and there are some great Instruction on hand feeding in case of emergency it would apply perfectly to your situation also.
As for the wings, it's up to you how much you want him to fly, you could trim them more but he will fall faster. Personally with a cat already in the house I think it's better if he can fly to escape in case of danger.
As for the cat (s) you have some good advice already, I am very opposed to cats and birds so my advice is always complete seperating. It's just to risky for me, I've heard countless stories of "the cat is the sweetest" and then there's a dead bird. Even a cage is not safe.
So glad to have you and Ollie here, looking forward to all your future adventures!!

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 10:54 PM   #5
ToColla

Thank you everyone for the advice! Ollie's cage is in my room since it's where I spend most of my time. My cat is never in the same room with him alone but I can have him on my shoulder and my cat will jump in my lap and fall asleep without another thought. But now that I know that's rare, I'll be sure to keep him away from any new cats,

I'm afraid he is already regressing. When I got him he was only begging three times a day but today he begged for food five times. It worries me
Old 02-17-2017, 10:48 PM   #6
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Thumbs up

Hi and welcome.
You are right to be concerned about the cat versus bird scene.
Please don't get too comfortable when a cat is near any bird. Cats go after anything that moves fast or flutters. It is a matter of time. It is a matter of instinct. I love cats very much, but I wouldn't trust one, even if the cat grew up with the bird and they were 'friends'.

I have heard of cats and birds tolerating each other, but one day, the cat might not be feeling well or the bird irritates the cat too much, and ' swat '. Please be careful. Ever see a cat go after an object that someone flutters in front of them ? Especially a feather on the end of a stick?Be careful.. Keep us posted! We love pictures.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 01:01 AM   #7
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToColla View Post
Thank you everyone for the advice! Ollie's cage is in my room since it's where I spend most of my time. My cat is never in the same room with him alone but I can have him on my shoulder and my cat will jump in my lap and fall asleep without another thought. But now that I know that's rare, I'll be sure to keep him away from any new cats,

I'm afraid he is already regressing. When I got him he was only begging three times a day but today he begged for food five times. It worries me
How is his weight doing?
I'm really just guessing on this, buy someone recently said sometimes when they are weening they start begging more but taking less formula. Has he started eating other things? Like Millet?

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Old 02-18-2017, 02:47 AM   #8
ToColla

I actually had a scare this morning! His weight was down to 28.5 when he had been having a steady 30 grams. I contacted the breeder but she didn't give me much. I told her that he had been begging more and she just said to feed him every time he begs. He is eating seeds and pellets and some nuts I give him as well as millet but he's eating more formula as well. I think after today his weight will be normal because he ate a lot of everything. I'm kinda worried he may not he drinking his water but maybe that's because I've never seen him drink from it.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:52 AM   #9
ToColla

I'll never leave my cat alone with him and I'm always attentive when they are near each other. But the picture started with Ollie on my shoulder and Mars on my lap. I kept having to pull him off of her over and over until I left him down there. She was awake and aware of his presence but he cuddle with her and they soon fell asleep. I'll always be careful and attentive, but I think as far as the sweetest cats that can tolerate birds, I've hit the jackpot. My cat has never chased him when he has flown. And she has never attacked him even when he has landed right on front of her. I know she could and might, and I do everything to prevent that, but right now I'm still very impressed with her.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image_1487404076132.jpg (14.3 KB, 10 views)
Old 02-18-2017, 03:04 AM   #10
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Make sure you give him access to as much millet as he wants, it's the best thing right now for fat and energy.

Saliva of a cat is deadly, as is a scratch. It causes a septicemia in the blood stream I believe. Just something to be aware of.