Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Breeding

Notices

Parrotlet Breeding If you're interested in breeding your parrotlets, this is the place for you!

how do you prepair for breeding?

and normal breeding behaviour?

This thread has 4 replies and has been viewed 86 times.

Old 02-15-2017, 02:50 PM   #1
veneri

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

veneri is on a distinguished road

how do you prepair for breeding?

my female became heavier and she has a large behind and huge droppings. something is coming i guess.....
i provided her with a nest box. she sits in it almost all day, the male guards the nestbox.

my birds are about 26 months old and have been mating and preening before, but they were living in a devided cage, because of the female beeing very territorial.
now that she stays in the nestbox for most of the time i have taken the devider out.
i see him enter the nestbox from time to time. i'm not sure if they have been mating recently and if he feeds her. i'm not home during the day so i don't see everything that is going on.

is their behaviour normal?
when she comes out of the nestbox they both start chattering and he chases her around on the cage floor, they don't hurt each other but i wonder why he does this?

when she starts eating he let her be, and he places himself close to the nestbox as if he is guarding it.

when she goes back to the box he chases her inside. it is almost as if he wants her to be safe and that he wants her to stay in the nestbox. is this normal behaviour?

there are no eggs yet but looking at her weightgain and the huge droppings i think it won't take long.
they are on a varied diet, and have a schedule of 12 hours (day)light/12 hours darkness. should i change anything?

i'm not sure what i will doe if she has eggs. i think i will replace them for dummies, i already have dummies available.

are there things i should be aware of and change if she lays eggs? i already provide extra calcium and protein.
veneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2017, 03:33 PM   #2
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Wow eggs! I don't have any experience or knowledge really of breeding, except to say it sounds like you did the right thing and the calcium is really important. If your going to replace with a dummy egg anyway I guess you could put the divider in to prevent more mating and more eggs. The nest box might encourage more eggs so you may want to remove it too, but I'm not exactly sure. Hopefully someone else knows more.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 03:40 PM   #3
veneri

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
Wow eggs! I don't have any experience or knowledge really of breeding, except to say it sounds like you did the right thing and the calcium is really important. If your going to replace with a dummy egg anyway I guess you could put the divider in to prevent more mating and more eggs. The nest box might encourage more eggs so you may want to remove it too, but I'm not exactly sure. Hopefully someone else knows more.
Thank you.
I provided the nestbox because she was very moody and hormononal and was constantly sreaming and running around the cage.when i saw her big behind and large droppings i thought that the nestbox would provide a safe place for her so she can have some rest.it realy works.she is quiet and happy now,as if she was looking for a nesting place before and couldn't calm down because she couldn't find it. I think this is what she needs at the moment.
I took the devider out because i think that the male should care for the female when she is sitting on eggs.am i right?
I wouldn't mind having chicks,problem is that i would find it hard to sell them.

Old 02-16-2017, 02:16 AM   #4
veneri

and i was right, she has laid her first egg last night!
Old 02-18-2017, 03:53 AM   #5
veneri

second egg is laid yesterday.

any tips? i give them their normal seed mix, eggfood, sprouted seeds with some cuttle bone powder. they also get veggies. they eat a lot! twice as much as normal.
they were on 12 hours daylight and i added another 30 minutes, will add 30 minutes next week again. if they have babies they will have enough time to feed them.
anything else i should be prepared for? i will let the parents raise and feed the chicks on their own, but want to handle the babies daily to tame them. from what age is this possible?