Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Is feeding from fingers okay?

1K views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  sanguinaria 
#1 ·
Last night and this morning I've been feeding Tihota his new Harrison pellets piece by piece from between my fingers and he just loves it! He seems really excited and happy to eat this way, but suddenly it's occurred to me that this might be like allofeeding between mates to him and encourage inappropriate sexual behaviors like regurgitation or solicitation. He hasn't done anything that would fall under this umbrella yet, but now I'm thinking that maybe I should reserve feeding by hand for occasional treats or introducing new foods.

Have any of you experienced unwanted behaviors due to feeding from your fingers?

#4 ·
Feeding from hands is normally ok. The exception is to not feed warm mushy stuff (like a noodle or cooked egg) which can be mistaken as regurgitation and maybe send the wrong signals about mating. Hard cooler stuff like bird seed and treats should be just fine.

#6 ·
Thanks guys! It's a relief to hear that feeding crunchy foods by hand should be fine, so I hope he sticks to the "rules" so we can keep it up! I love seeing him so enthusiastic about food all of a sudden and he's definitely still eating from his bowls on his own so I figure I probably don't have to worry about him getting dependent on feedings either.

He had a BIG full crop during cuddle time tonight. :)

#10 ·
He's a dilute turquoise, our evening light is just very yellow. :)
Spoiled Ollie!

Since you are having such good success with the pellets, why dont you also put some in the food bowls? When you see him eating them on his own you can wean him off you hand. Then he can try other things from your hands and still get the benefit of the pellets and you can try other foods.
Oh, I mentioned earlier in the thread that he's also eating well from the bowl now. It's a pellet miracle! :)
I've also been giving him some grains of bee pollen by hand, which is lots of fun for him... not so much for me. Turns out I'm allergic to it!

#9 ·
Our Huey does not care for hand feeding, however he will eat what ever I just had in my hand if I put it in his bowl or his plate. Every now and again I get lucky and he will but my guy is not a fan of hands.

Since you are having such good success with the pellets, why dont you also put some in the food bowls? When you see him eating them on his own you can wean him off you hand. Then he can try other things from your hands and still get the benefit of the pellets and you can try other foods.

My Huey only used to eat pellets from my hand/treat plate now he chows down from his bowl.

Very handsome little guy.

#12 ·
Just back off for a while and try later. He is young and it is spring. Not sure if it is because of the warm winter or what but spring seems to be bad for hormones this year. I know my Jules is very flighty, bitey at the moment.

#13 ·
Yeah, that's a good point. He's getting a little hot-blooded lately so I'm guessing the testosterone is starting to take hold... that PLUS it being spring probably means food by hand likely won't be the only thing to trigger this behavior. Hopefully these crazy birds will even out a bit come summertime!

#14 ·
Springtime! Micah is also wigglenecking lately. Not when I feed him by hand--I only do that during training, but at my computer? When I ask him to step up? Seemingly at random? Idk, I'm probably making him out to be more hormonal than he is. The point is, back off of things that seem to get him going. If that's feeding by hand, stop that for awhile. I might be remembering wrong, but Tihota's about at the age where he should be hitting puberty, right? So you've got double the trouble, what with his age and the time of year. Stick to petting him on the head, and make sure he's getting enough sleep/darkness. Just because it's a problem right now doesn't mean it will always be, but for now, best to avoid hand feeding.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.