Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Breeding

Notices

Parrotlet Breeding If you're interested in breeding your parrotlets, this is the place for you!

resources for new breeders?

This thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 9186 times.

Old 06-27-2011, 10:42 AM   #11
Callie

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Callie has a spectacular aura aboutCallie has a spectacular aura aboutCallie has a spectacular aura about

I really like what you've written, derrp!
There is no general rule of thumb that covers all situations so it comes down to knowing each individual pair of birds and establishing a trust relatonship with them.

When I first got into breeding, I pulled all my babies for hand feeding. Why? That's what I was taught to do. Tame, pet quality birds HAD to be hand fed! However, it bothered me to see the reaction of my parent birds when I took away their precious little ones, and that just tore me up so I decided to try something different.....co-parenting. They keep those little ones and I got to socialize/play with the babies. Once the parents realized I would not hurt their babies and that I would always bring them back unharmed, they accepted what I was doing and everything has worked out well since then. Mind you, this was back in the later 90's and the word "co-parenting" had not been coined yet.

I have several pairs of parrotlets but all are too young yet to breed. However, I plan on doing the same thing with them (or at least trying) as I do with my lovebirds.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-27-2011, 11:05 AM   #12
derrp

Parrotlets Owned: 3+
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

derrp is on a distinguished road

It sounds like you were a pioneer, Callie! Good for you for thinking outside the box - it sounds like it has paid off for you & your birds.

Kiki ('09 white/blue F)
Yoshi ('08 green M) & Fiona ('09 green F)
June 2011 clutch = 3 green M, 1 green F, 1 yellow F
January 2012 clutch = 2 green M, 1 yellow M, 1 yellow F
derrp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 AM   #13
dmurcar

Parrotlets Owned: 8

dmurcar is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Skype™ to dmurcar
Thank you for your insights. I teeter back and forth with this as I also want to look out for the health of all the babies. The youngest is about a week younger than the others and I monitor it to see if it is comfortable. So far so good.
dmurcar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-01-2012, 07:59 PM   #14
blymor

Parrotlets Owned: 10
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

blymor is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Going well

Sounds to me like you are doing great co-sharing the raising of these chicks. I would love to hear updates and pictures as they progress.
Again, well done!
blymor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:18 AM   #15
bb3535

bb3535 is on a distinguished road

Hello--
what are you using for nesting material?
I just had some unexpected babies---and am going to try and co-parent as well.
Thanks
bb3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:19 AM   #16
bb3535

bb3535 is on a distinguished road

Also--how old were they when you first handled the babies?
bb3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:31 AM   #17
littlepeepsaviary

Experience: Parrotlet Breeder

littlepeepsaviary is on a distinguished road

Be sure to keep an eye on the parents as 7 babies is a lot of feed several times a day. I have had a clutch of 6 and by the time they were about 2 weeks old I knew I had to pull them and the parents looked tired, skinny and plum worn out. As long as mama and daddy stay in good health you could co-parent but be prepared to pull just in case.

It is also my experience that the babies seem to be much more tame if you do pull at about 2 weeks and hand feed until weaning- that is just a preference!
littlepeepsaviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #18
littlepeepsaviary

Experience: Parrotlet Breeder

littlepeepsaviary is on a distinguished road

I must add that I was giving the parents an abundance of seed, pellets, corn bread and soft foods and it was still ALOT of work on them!
littlepeepsaviary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #19
Jenn.Dios

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Jenn.Dios is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by derrp View Post
I am certainly no expert, but I think that like others here have said, whether or not you can successfully co-parent depends on the parent birds' temperaments (especially the hen) and your relationship with them.

As I said in an earlier post our male is tame and the hen is not, and we've had good success so far taking out a couple of babies at a time & returning them. When we first started doing it I was a little apprehensive because I had read that sometimes psittacines will attack/neglect chicks that have been removed from the nest. The parents screech like crazy at us when we approach their cage but we just block off the entrance to the nestbox with a folded magazine, remove a couple of the older babies, and go to another room to snuggle them. The hen goes back into the box and they quiet down right away. Then when we go to put the babies back we get the screeching routine again... but she always calms right down when she goes into the nestbox, and the babies are all fat and healthy. So, it's working for us.

I would have thought judging from the screeching routine that we were taking a bit of a risk taking the babies out, but it's turned out really well for us & I do think that the hen knows now that we will return her babies unharmed (and in short order - we don't keep them out for more than 5-10min at this point since they're still under two weeks old and can't regulate their body temperature whatsoever).

I am of the opinion that removing the babies altogether and hand feeding exclusively isn't an ideal situation for anyone - babies, parents, humans. For the babies, there is no way humans can adequately replicate the level of care and attention they normally get from their parents... the hen is in the nest box 99% of the time and always preening, feeding, and snuggling with them. No way can hand-feeding come close to that level of care. For the parents, it's probably a bit traumatic to all of a sudden have their babies *poof* gone. For the humans, exclusive hand-feeding is a LOT of work and can be risky, especially for first-timers (aspiration, non-ideal timing of feedings, etc.).

So, co-parenting seems like a great, balanced approach. But I don't think there's a big enough body of evidence yet to say that it's better overall for the health & well-being of the babies.

Just my thoughts.
Thank you so much! My p'lets have been mating. She laid one egg so far. They destroyed it, but that was before she had a nesting box. I found the egg as a surprise that morning.
Now she has been in the nesting box most of the day since I brought it home. I've been planning on hand raising, but this sounds much more simple, & kind to mother & babies. I will look more in this method.
I am so happy I came across this post!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Jenn.Dios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 01:35 PM   #20
CarrieMay2076

CarrieMay2076 is on a distinguished road

Compatibility of my parrotlets

Lovey is a few months older than Loki. I have figured that Loki should be mature in February. She allows him to groom her and snuggle. She completely ignores him when he neck wiggles. He also tends to think is a parakeet (we have 6 of those). How do I know if they are compatible for breeding?
Thanks!
CarrieMay2076 is offline   Reply With Quote