Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Should trying to teach a female to talk be worth it?

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 84 times.

Old 06-17-2017, 08:15 PM   #1
Isada18

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Isada18 is on a distinguished road

Should trying to teach a female to talk be worth it?

She likes to chirp with theme song on TV, but I don't want to waste hours trying to teach her if it likely isn't going to happen.

Also, do any of you have links to some good parrot talk teacher videos?
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 08:20 PM   #2
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

As the owner of a "talking" male parrotlet, I can tell you that you don't TEACH a bird to talk. Instead, you simply talk to the bird and naturally or on purpose use the same phrases of the same things over and over. Of the many phrases Tumi says, only one was something I said to him in the hopes that he would mimic it, but I can't say I "wasted hours" on it. Instead, when we were hanging out or snuggling or getting scritches, I would repeat my phrase to him during our interaction. I certainly wasn't very focused or purposeful about it. He mimics it because he believes it to be one of the flock calls in his flock, not because I trained him.
Whether she ever mimics them or not, she will learn their meaning and respond to them in her way. Talk to her, and work to learn her language back. She is ALREADY talking to you, and you just have to learn her language.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 10:18 PM   #3
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

I hate to sound like a bummer but I have two females and I feel getting them to mimic speech would be futile. One of my girls will mimic squeek and clucks but otherwise she just says "chirp"

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2017, 01:27 PM   #4
Malachi
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

My girl and I are very close, but at four years old she only speaks her own people's language...few girls talk much. As for training talking birds phrases, it can be done, and I've taught talkers specific phrases before, but having a girl I've never invested any time or attention to that with her...just loving my little sweetie. I can say, though, that my girl understands quite a few words and several commands, so she does listen to what I say to her.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #5
kpenguins48

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
My experience has been either a bird is going to talk, or it isn't . Those that want to talk will just pick up things are their own. They don't have to be "taught." Mine just started talking one day without any effort from me.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:00 AM   #6
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

I have learned to speak very good bird, so I guess at least one of us can be taught

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:31 AM   #7
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
I have learned to speak very good bird, so I guess at least one of us can be taught
The truth of this is scary. I was talking to Jules one day when my mother was around. She had a hard time believing that I understood what Jules was saying. The conversation went like this.
Jules ask for my wife.
I told Jules my wife was gone.
Jules did not believe me and wanted to go downstairs to check
I told her no.
Jules got fed up and flew to the steps demanding that we go look for my wife since she was downstairs
I gave in and took Jules downstairs to prove my wife was not there and said see, I told you so.
Jules decided my attitude deserved a nip.
We cussed each other out a bit. Parrotlets cuss worse than sailors.
Jules decided to see my mother upstairs
So I took her up.

Now truth is I do not understand her every chirp. But I do recognize some noises she makes and can place them in context. I know the the noise for my wife, for my mother, for myself, for downstairs, for upstairs. I know her flock calls, her I need calls, her I want calls and sadly her grieving calls for a dead mate.

Now Jules can say "pretty bird" in human talk. But to be honest I prefer her bird chatter much more than her human talk. It is soothing and natural. We can understand each other after a fashion. True it is not intellectual discussions or mimics of Star Wars beeping robots or TV buzz lines. It is just bird chatter and it is restful.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote