Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

Should cupping p'let in hand cause stimulation?

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 83 times.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:02 PM   #1
Isada18

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Isada18 is on a distinguished road

The line between a touch and stimulation?

Does any touch below the shoulders have a risk being stimulating (such as curling your fingers over a parrotlet's back,) or only petting motions in your opinion?

Last edited by Isada18; 06-17-2017 at 01:00 AM..
Isada18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 06:46 AM   #2
lindav

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

it is best to touch only the neck/head and not the body.
Best to you.
Old 06-18-2017, 10:42 PM   #3
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Lightbulb

Hello! Welcome!

Lindav is correct! Neck and Head only, especially with a female. A finger across the back is a no no! Period!. Limit your touching during molting, too.
My Bogie loves to sit on my shoulder/neck area and lean against my neck. I allow this because he behaves himself and does not become aggressive, like most parrotlets do. But I never touch the inside of his wings, chest, legs or feet. I do give him scritches on the head and neck and under his chin. I love that bird!
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-19-2017, 12:43 PM   #4
kpenguins48

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
I agree with the others. Head and neck is best, especially with females as anything more may encourage mating/nesting behavior.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:57 AM   #5
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

I think what you are referring to us what we call at our house the "hand cave".
A hand cave can create a "nest-like" environment so I would exercise caution (definitely do not Pet below the neck)
Melody enjoys the hand cave before bedtime, it calms her down and she likes to rustle around in daddys large cave, he just cups both hands over her and it's a comfort for her. I will also "cup" my hand lightly over her wings sometimes when she's fluffy on my finger and she likes to nap that way.
Over aggression, tail lifting, wiggle necking, nesting behavior should always be discouraged so if your hand cave become the initiation of a mating behaviour then don't do it, but in my case I have not had that problem simply cupping my hand over Melody occationaly. Hope that makes sense.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 01:42 AM   #6
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

As long as there is no petting, rubbing you should be good for limited time frames. the hand cave is part of our training process. Jules was very fearful of hands when we got her. We eventually got her past that and we added the hand cave so in situations that we must manhandle her she will not be fearful and panic. Now in a situation that I have to grab her she likes to put the web of my thumb in her beak but does not bite down. It is sort of like her telling me. "Ok, I am not happy about this but I trust you. But if things start going bad for me I am taking a piece of you with me."
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 02:16 AM   #7
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie3860 View Post
As long as there is no petting, rubbing you should be good for limited time frames. the hand cave is part of our training process. Jules was very fearful of hands when we got her. We eventually got her past that and we added the hand cave so in situations that we must manhandle her she will not be fearful and panic. Now in a situation that I have to grab her she likes to put the web of my thumb in her beak but does not bite down. It is sort of like her telling me. "Ok, I am not happy about this but I trust you. But if things start going bad for me I am taking a piece of you with me."
Haha! Completely understandable Jules.....

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote