Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

A few beginner questions

This thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 196 times.

Old 06-17-2017, 07:45 PM   #11
Isada18

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Isada18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BerryBonBon View Post
Am I right in thinking that whatever Berry tolerates in terms of petting / stroking that she must enjoy on some level?

I'm assuming anything not enjoyed would result in her flying off or biting?

Is there anything specific in terms of subtle behaviour I should look out for to know when she doesn't like something?
I really wouldn't do anything with your bird that he is "tolderating" when it comes to taming. Do things on your birds time, as very very often birds learn to hate and fear their owners when they move too fast. When Berry is ready to be pet you will definitely know.

I would occasionally scratch his head very gently for a few seconds when he seems ready to show him how good it feels, and after that he should start asking for scritches when he feels comfortable.
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2017, 08:39 PM   #12
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

He's so cute! Based on the pictures showing the eye streak AND a hint of dark blue on the wing edge, I'm pretty certain that Berry is a boy. Good thing that the name works regardless!
As far as clipping, Tumi IS clipped for safety (we had quite the scare) BUT it would be best if Berry learns to fly better before he is clipped. Baby birds need to learn how to fly, and it takes practice. I recommend allowing for some crash landings onto a nice soft bed. Once he is no longer so clumbsy, then you can see about clipping the flight feathers and turning him into a controlled glider. Clipped birds can fly still, they just can't gain altitude, so having control over their aim is important even for a clipped bird. You should know that in the UK clipping is significantly more controversial than in the U.S. I'm not saying don't do it (I have a clipped bird), I'm just warning you that there is controversy around it.
As far as age, an avian vet would be able to tell if he is a "baby" parrotlet or not, but after the first molt there are no markers of age whatsoever in a bird. I spy a pin feather on his head, so at least one molt is ongoing. It could be the first, or it could not. An avian vet can give you an idea if he is young enough, but if he is fully adult (4-6 months), then there's no way to know. Pick a hatchdate for him you like and celebrate it!
Parrotlets aren't subtle when they don't like something. You will get bit or at least warned if the answer from him is no. Scritches request, however, are very subtle when you are first getting to know many birds. It can be as simple as a slightly bent head and a still bird. That is Tumi's way of letting me know he wants scritches most of the time. If I am dense or busy, he either will stick his head under a finger or bite my finger to let me know I am ignoring him. But in general, you will KNOW what Berry doesn't like. And there might even be beak marks on your fingers to prove it.
So far, Berry seems to be doing great with you! I'm sorry the "bird expert" turns out to be a dud. The grit thing has been solidly known as bad in the bird world for at least 15 years, so to be that out of date isn't a good sign.
Oh, fair warning, parrots attempt to preen or pick at any skin "abnormality" that they can spot. That includes freckles and tattoos. If he gets too interested, you might need to start carrying a toy to distract with until he gets bored. I am covered in freckles, but with a small bit of work Tumi stopped trying to remove them and now ignores them 99% of the time.
Keep up the pictures and questions!

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:24 AM   #13
BerryBonBon

BerryBonBon is on a distinguished road

That's awesome, thanks so much guys xxx
BerryBonBon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-18-2017, 02:05 PM   #14
Corsara

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Corsara is on a distinguished road

Hey, another UK member! Where in the UK are you? I'm in Plymouth.
Corsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2017, 04:29 PM   #15
BerryBonBon

BerryBonBon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsara View Post
Hey, another UK member! Where in the UK are you? I'm in Plymouth.
Hey! I'm in Wolverhampton up in the Midlands
BerryBonBon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 07:57 AM   #16
Newbie01

Parrotlets Owned: Two

Newbie01 is on a distinguished road

I'm a newbie as well and got a bit anxious about everything. This group is great. Lots of reassurance and good advice. Im' totally in love with my two babies (Louie and Coco) want to do the right thing by them. All the best and keep us updated on his progress. as I have a pair they are not as cuddly and will take a bit longer to get them to play with me but I love watching them together. I spent 45 minutes watching them eat or should i say throw most of it on the floor in disgust. I make a chop and freeze it but i left out the fruit as it goes very watery when defrosted. Bought a mini food processor as well, a couple of blasts and its the perfect texture. Sometimes it looks as though they like to have a go at something with a bit of size and texture, whole baby sweetcorn is a favourite and purple sprouted broccoli is a huge favourite.
Newbie01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 11:48 AM   #17
WingleBird

WingleBird is on a distinguished road

I also make a big bowl of "chop" with veggies, grains (cooked quinoa, cooked brown rice, cooked green split peas and cooked red and brown lentils) and some fruits and always had it go watery too. The last time at the end I added uncooked rolled oats stirred it in well and then froze it all up in ice cube trays. The dry grain soaked up the excess liquid