Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Punishment for biting

This thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 159 times.

Old 06-07-2017, 08:28 PM   #1
WildWilly29

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

WildWilly29 is on a distinguished road

Punishment for biting

I've heard people say to give your parrot a time out when they bite, but I've found this isn't working with Ella. If she bites, she's learned that she's going to put away, which causes her to continue biting and not let me put her away for time out. So what is been doing instead is give her praise once she finally steps up, but I don't want to be reinforcing the biting with praise. Any thoughts?
WildWilly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
rizzie5022

Parrotlets Owned: 1

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

Read up in the forum on the gentle beak techique. I do this all of the time, basically I replace the biting with something he loves, getting his beak rubbed.

I have also gotten good (most of the time) of realizing what will trigger the bite, and I say gentle beak and he actually stops in his tracks to get a beak rub. Just the words make him stop.
Old 06-07-2017, 08:35 PM   #3
tijya

tijya will become famous soon enough

I do the earthquake method (shake my hand or body part that was bit). But I would be using praise for good stuff, even if there was a bite a bit earlier.

And it depends on the nature of the bite, IMO. If it is a sharp pinch because she's learning to explore and using her big too strongly, that's a different scenario than a jerkface of a parrotlet that is biting because they can. (No offense to biting parrotlets - we have one here.)
tijya is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-07-2017, 10:07 PM   #4
WildWilly29

Thanks guys! I've been using gentle beak, and it has been working Halfways lol. She often goes back into attack mode when I stop.
Old 06-07-2017, 11:45 PM   #5
tijya

tijya will become famous soon enough

Haha. I didn't have much luck with gentle beak because when they are on a mission (like I'm attacking your earlobe) it never stopped them.

It's crazy. I was more worried about the conure beak but it's the parrotlet beak that packs a punch (or I have a crazy gentle conure)
tijya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 12:51 AM   #6
WildWilly29

Ella is my first bird, and I often wonder how people deal with anything bigger! I know that parrotlets are feisty but I can only imagine what a bite on the ear from a CAG or conure would feel like.
Old 06-08-2017, 01:08 AM   #7
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Thumbs up

Hi. Years ago when I first got Bogie, he was determined he was going to bite....everything! But I found out one day that his " Hot Button" to get him to stop was something simple! I have an old brush that I used to baste sauces onto chicken, etc., and he simply fears that brush! If I pick it up in my hands, he leaves the room, post haste!

I call it my " Bird Paddle". I never have hit Bogie with it, but when he gets a little bitey, like biting/nibbling on my ear, all I have top do is say out loud, " I'm gonna get the Bird Paddle!" and he quits his aggravating behavior.

He also responds to another warning. I will say, " Your gonna get into trouble! " and he chatters at me while flying away from me.

You have to be persistent. Do not let your bird bite on you one day and then the next day tell him no no. They are true parrots and have true parrot beaks and they know how to use them!

Dave and Bogie

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:30 AM   #8
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

My breeder told me a way to stop the bites. It was very helpful----I have done it to Ollie, but he still will bite. It is his way of communicating something. He will bite my ear if he wants something to eat. Sometimes it means he will be going back to his cage for a time-out.
When Ollie is getting "stritches" from me at night, he will start biting my fingers. It is way to tell me he is done for the day and it is "nite-nite" time. He consistently goes to bed between 7-8. Usually there are reasons for their bites. Best to you.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:45 PM   #9
WildWilly29

Thanks guys! The reason for her bite is usually her wanting to be somewhere than I don't want her, so she resists moving.
Old 06-14-2017, 06:04 PM   #10
Bird Lady

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Bird Lady has a spectacular aura aboutBird Lady has a spectacular aura about

Yes, you are so right Lindav. Every night I get a good nite bite (gently) from Simon...
Bird Lady is offline   Reply With Quote