Parrotlets Forum : TalkParrotlets banner

Lilly Update

829 views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  lindav 
#1 ·
Here's a little update on Lilly and Tobie:
I think I have finally succeeded in separating them.
It was a long process. It started by using the divider, and putting them to sleep in seperate cages spending time with them individually before bed. I had to let them "see" the other one going to bed seperate. Then I blocked the divider from seeing eachother, eventually I moved them to stack on top of the other so they could not see eachother at all.
This was very problematic having them stacked. They could hear eachother, but seemed ok until I tried to take one out. Anytime Lilly saw him she would go nuts and he would try to get to her too. I started to feel like such a failure. Her plucking kept continuing and I just couldn't bond with them.
Honest its been horrible. I started to feel like she would just never be happy with me. She dosent fit in with the other birds, it's hard to bond with her and I felt so much like I was failing her.

I decided to put her in a seperate room completely and shut her off from Tobie all together. I really did up her cage even more with tons of foraging opportunities and she has a nice window. Now she can play on top of her cage without being distracted and frustrated. I take her out way more, she rarely calls to Tobie like before. She likes the shower, and head Scritches. She is the only one who will ride in my pocket and likes to snuggle in my shirt.

Her belly still has some me pretty bald patches but her back looks good and I noticed today the tips of her wings (typically a stress plucking place) have filled in!

Tobie is very happy (he got the top bunk now and Rosey is on the bottom) he sings a lot and comes out n the evening, he does laps around the living room and will sit on me for a few minutes and sometimes gets head rubs but it's still slow process with him.

Anyway, all that to say I have a lot more hope in this situation now and I have successfully separated them. (Took months) I'm so glad because honestly I was almost at the point of giving up and just thinking she would never be happy here. I hope she can become my best little friend, she's a sweet sweet girl. :eek:

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks for all your advice Rizzie, I finally feel like it's working out for everyone. Tobie became the problem (for Lilly) but even now when she's in the office we can have her out without problems, she even doesn't mind if Jasper sits on her cage :)

#7 ·
YAY! I'm so happy that they are successfully separated and both seem to be happy in their new situations. Maybe Lilly is meant to be the sweet mommy-lover that Melody refuses to be. Since she can't be a mommy, she might as well be a baby! :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.