Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Lilly Update

A little hope...

This thread has 12 replies and has been viewed 203 times.

Old 06-05-2017, 01:40 AM   #1
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Lilly Update

Here's a little update on Lilly and Tobie:
I think I have finally succeeded in separating them.
It was a long process. It started by using the divider, and putting them to sleep in seperate cages spending time with them individually before bed. I had to let them "see" the other one going to bed seperate. Then I blocked the divider from seeing eachother, eventually I moved them to stack on top of the other so they could not see eachother at all.
This was very problematic having them stacked. They could hear eachother, but seemed ok until I tried to take one out. Anytime Lilly saw him she would go nuts and he would try to get to her too. I started to feel like such a failure. Her plucking kept continuing and I just couldn't bond with them.
Honest its been horrible. I started to feel like she would just never be happy with me. She dosent fit in with the other birds, it's hard to bond with her and I felt so much like I was failing her.

I decided to put her in a seperate room completely and shut her off from Tobie all together. I really did up her cage even more with tons of foraging opportunities and she has a nice window. Now she can play on top of her cage without being distracted and frustrated. I take her out way more, she rarely calls to Tobie like before. She likes the shower, and head Scritches. She is the only one who will ride in my pocket and likes to snuggle in my shirt.

Her belly still has some me pretty bald patches but her back looks good and I noticed today the tips of her wings (typically a stress plucking place) have filled in!

Tobie is very happy (he got the top bunk now and Rosey is on the bottom) he sings a lot and comes out n the evening, he does laps around the living room and will sit on me for a few minutes and sometimes gets head rubs but it's still slow process with him.

Anyway, all that to say I have a lot more hope in this situation now and I have successfully separated them. (Took months) I'm so glad because honestly I was almost at the point of giving up and just thinking she would never be happy here. I hope she can become my best little friend, she's a sweet sweet girl.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2017, 07:10 AM   #2
rizzie5022

Parrotlets Owned: 1

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

YAY! YIPPIE! WHOOOHOO!

Great job, I am glad things are working out for everyone!
Old 06-05-2017, 07:55 AM   #3
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by rizzie5022 View Post
YAY! YIPPIE! WHOOOHOO!

Great job, I am glad things are working out for everyone!
Thanks for all your advice Rizzie, I finally feel like it's working out for everyone. Tobie became the problem (for Lilly) but even now when she's in the office we can have her out without problems, she even doesn't mind if Jasper sits on her cage

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Old 06-05-2017, 09:26 AM   #4
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

What great news! Must have been so hard separating them but it sounds like it worked out in the end
Old 06-05-2017, 10:02 AM   #5
sanguinaria

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

Hooray! I hope all that progress keeps up!

sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
TheBeans

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

This is really good news! Glad to hear that you were able to get this far and hopefully it will continue on a good path.

Daisy & Wendy
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:00 PM   #7
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

YAY! I'm so happy that they are successfully separated and both seem to be happy in their new situations. Maybe Lilly is meant to be the sweet mommy-lover that Melody refuses to be. Since she can't be a mommy, she might as well be a baby!

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 05:02 PM   #8
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoo252 View Post
YAY! I'm so happy that they are successfully separated and both seem to be happy in their new situations. Maybe Lilly is meant to be the sweet mommy-lover that Melody refuses to be. Since she can't be a mommy, she might as well be a baby!
My thinking exactly!!

Old 06-05-2017, 05:26 PM   #9
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoo252 View Post
My thinking exactly!!

Old 06-07-2017, 02:13 PM   #10
WingleBird

WingleBird is on a distinguished road

I'm so glad! Sounds like you've been working really hard on this. I think Lily will definitely become mommy's special little girl! How sweet she rides around in your pocket