Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Can parrotlets chew through hair?

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 110 times.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:16 PM   #1
Isada18

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Isada18 is on a distinguished road

Can parrotlets chew through hair?

Or damage human hair by playing with it?

I was also wondering what age parrotlets are adults, as well as when they're colors are fully matured.
Isada18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2017, 08:09 PM   #2
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Unless your hairs is ridiculously fragile, parrotlets cannot damage it. However, they CAN get tangled in it. When Tumi was a youngster I had long hair and he liked to climb under my braid and snuggle as far up as he could and he wouldn't come out voluntarily.
Puberty comes at 4-6 months and can be rough.
Colors generally develop a bit at the first molt. If the bird has any pied traits, the colors actually will change every molt, but most stay after the first molt. When the first molt happens depends - there aren't any rules about molting for indoor birds, so you will know that it is happening when feathers start falling. Molts can be one feather at a time or what seems like all the feathers - both are normal. Tumi is starting a molt right now, and I won't know if it is light or heavy until it is done, I just know that I have a wing feather sitting beside me.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 07:13 PM   #3
Isada18

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Isada18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoo252 View Post
Unless your hairs is ridiculously fragile, parrotlets cannot damage it. However, they CAN get tangled in it. When Tumi was a youngster I had long hair and he liked to climb under my braid and snuggle as far up as he could and he wouldn't come out voluntarily.
Puberty comes at 4-6 months and can be rough.
Colors generally develop a bit at the first molt. If the bird has any pied traits, the colors actually will change every molt, but most stay after the first molt. When the first molt happens depends - there aren't any rules about molting for indoor birds, so you will know that it is happening when feathers start falling. Molts can be one feather at a time or what seems like all the feathers - both are normal. Tumi is starting a molt right now, and I won't know if it is light or heavy until it is done, I just know that I have a wing feather sitting beside me.
What do you mean by the colors changing? She is a bit pied
Isada18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Lightbulb

Hi.
The first molt usually brings in feathers with a little deeper coloring to them. Kind of like some human children who are blond when growing up, then their hair changes to something darker. Most of my relatives are tow-head ( Blondish) children, but as they get older, their hair gets darker.
My Bogie has chewed on what hair I got left (I am old and balding). He likes to pull at my mustache, too. No harm was done.
Be careful of hair sprays and medicated shampoos on your hair. It may not be good for them to chew on your hair, especially when wet.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 10:31 PM   #5
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Pied parrotlets will develop new spots of color some molts, or the spots disappear. If you think of the pied like spots on a dog, molting causes those spots to move. Sometimes a feather will grow in yellow, for instance, that previously was blue or green. Other than that, at the first molt the original coloring just gets more vibrant.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2017, 11:34 PM   #6
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

As far as the hair, yes they can chew it but most would not they just "preen" you. Lilly however plucks, and when she got the chance she would chew off Tobie's feathers too. Now that they are separated she gets more mommy time, she was "preening" my eyebrows the other day and I heard her crunching them in an attempt to "trim" them for me. I declined the offer.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2017, 12:54 PM   #7
kpenguins48

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

kpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of lightkpenguins48 is a glorious beacon of light

Send a message via Yahoo to kpenguins48
Actually, Jeannepp gets split ends from Oliver.

The Little Prince
kpenguins48 is offline   Reply With Quote