Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Aggression towards toy

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 125 times.

Old 06-01-2017, 01:29 PM   #1
Isada18

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Isada18 is on a distinguished road

Aggression towards toy

I have noticed my girl has a toy (a small dream catcher with cut up feathers,) that she will play with very differently. She will climb it attacking it with her wings held in a attack posture, as well as very viciously biting it from the nearby perch. This morning she actually hurt her wing a bit while in a full fledged attack (likely just hit it on the perch when she lost balance and fell off of the toy.)

There are no reflective bits so I really don't understand if I am just misinterpreting play for aggression? I haven't seen such a thing with any of my past birds, but I usually just keep softbills. It seems like a mild issue, but I want to make sure this isn't actually distressing her in any way.
Isada18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 02:20 PM   #2
sanguinaria

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

Aw, poor girl! Was it a long fall? I've heard of young parrotlets being clumsy and getting fatally injured by falls, so her cage size might be something to be mindful of while she's young.

From what you're describing, it sounds like she's probably just having fun with her toy. Some parrotlets really like to roughhouse and yours might be one of them. If she's acting scared of it in addition to attacking it, that might be grounds for its removal, but what you're describing just sounds like a bird having a good time.
My Tihota has a fleece-covered swing that he loves to knock around, growwwwwl at, and bite viciously from a perch, but at other times he just sits peacefully on it. I think your girl is probably acting similarly.

sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:23 PM   #3
Isada18

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Isada18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinaria View Post
Aw, poor girl! Was it a long fall? I've heard of young parrotlets being clumsy and getting fatally injured by falls, so her cage size might be something to be mindful of while she's young.

From what you're describing, it sounds like she's probably just having fun with her toy. Some parrotlets really like to roughhouse and yours might be one of them. If she's acting scared of it in addition to attacking it, that might be grounds for its removal, but what you're describing just sounds like a bird having a good time.
My Tihota has a fleece-covered swing that he loves to knock around, growwwwwl at, and bite viciously from a perch, but at other times he just sits peacefully on it. I think your girl is probably acting similarly.
It was a short fall to a nearby perch. It wasn't an injury, bt she was holding her wing to indicate it hurt for about a minute. Thank you, my old birds were mainly doves, ect, so they weren't the type to get so involved with their toys. Surprising how into it they can get. I had just heard of how some birds can become aggressive to reflective toys, so wanted to make sure nothing on it could be distressing her like a mirror can.
Isada18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
sanguinaria

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

Oh good, sounds like nothing to worry about then. Yeah, if you're used to softbills, it can be shocking to see how violent these little guys can act! Parrots can be really intense with their toys and parrotlets are no exception!

sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:57 PM   #5
theteenygirl

Parrotlets Owned: 1

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isada18 View Post
It was a short fall to a nearby perch. It wasn't an injury, bt she was holding her wing to indicate it hurt for about a minute. Thank you, my old birds were mainly doves, ect, so they weren't the type to get so involved with their toys. Surprising how into it they can get. I had just heard of how some birds can become aggressive to reflective toys, so wanted to make sure nothing on it could be distressing her like a mirror can.
Just wait till she starts bell bashing!! Levi LOVES toys with bells on them and his favourite way to play with them is to shake them really vigorously while 'yelling' at them. He can sure get himself riled up! But it's all fun
Old 06-01-2017, 08:01 PM   #6
WingleBird

WingleBird is on a distinguished road

I would love to see a video of Levi multi-tasking
Old 06-02-2017, 09:05 AM   #7
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingleBird View Post
I would love to see a video of Levi multi-tasking
I'll try to snap a video of him but he will only do it for like 10-20 seconds and very randomly. Like he'll be sleeping and then he'll wake up, stretch, yawn, and then ATTACK THE TOY and then he just mutters to himself and eats some food.

What a goofball.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:53 PM   #8
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Tumi loves to run, beak open and wings up, straight at cat balls and then bully them across the floor. He also bullies bells for fun whenever he can! He is a violent little guy.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
Malachi
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Sky has a toy with bells on it and it's her favorite toy. She loves to attack it fiercely, as though trying to 'kill it.' It's just her fierce passionate play mode though. I'd guess most parrotlets do this, and I've seen this with virtually all parrots I've had, very fierce during their play at times.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote