Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Not clipping a parrotlet?

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 194 times.

Old 05-31-2017, 12:43 PM   #1
Isada18

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Isada18 is on a distinguished road

Not clipping a parrotlet?

I was wondering if a parrotlet can learn not to fly into windows if it is unclipped?
I have also heard of people who very lightly trim a few feathers only, so that the bird can fly but can't stay in the air as long and confidently (which makes it so when they crash they do not have the same speed and posture to hurt themselves, like a baby just learning), what is your opinion on this?

My new girl came trimmed from the breeder, and I would like to let them grow back but I worry about my apartment (the windows are too large to cover.)
Isada18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2017, 02:51 PM   #2
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Jules is not clipped and has not been clipped for the 3 years we have had her. She has no problems with windows or mirrors. The only window I have seen her flutter against is the one in her bedroom. If she is in there and we are in the other room she will hover in front of it to see what we are doing and to get our attention. (Like her calling is not noticeable enough). She does not fly into it but I have seen her flutter against it and push off it with her feet to change direction.
She used to sit in windows but a hawk scared her a couple of years ago and so she tends to stay back from them. She basically has free run of the house when we are home, unless there is a reason to restrict her movements.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 02:58 PM   #3
Malachi
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Sky is flighted and like Jules has been for several years and is doing just fine. It's a personal choice, though, and does depend upon ones environment, but I deeply enjoy having a flighted parrotlet, and flying about brings much joy to Sky, and it's great exercise for her...she's a bird made to fly, and she's small enough there is no harm in it in my home.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-31-2017, 04:47 PM   #4
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Yes it is possible, I have two birds who completely recognize windows and mirrors, they began flying right after the first clip (from the breeder like yours) initially they had a couple bumps and it is a risk ( Dana can tell you about Tumi's run in with a window luckily he was fine but you should be aware) for me it's a trade in the beging because I think for my home being flighted is overall safer and healthier.
It's up to you and the needs of your bird, we pretty much all support each other's decision to clip it not clip. For example, one of my birds was in a pet store for a long time and did not learn to fly from a young age like the other two, and he is still clumsy. I have debated keeping him clipped but he's finally catching on. I definitely think if you want to try leaving her flighted do it now and then decide because once she is clipped for a long period of time she won't catch on as quick.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 05:07 PM   #5
sanguinaria

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

I clipped Tihota when he was new before he knew/liked me just to make the bonding process easier and safer. He kept flying away from me and smacking into things. He has yet to molt the clip, but once he does, I'd like him to be flighted for exercise's sake. However, if he starts flying into windows or mirrors again or gets too aggressive, it'll be back to clipping.

I do think having him clipped when I first got him was helpful, but it's up to you for where you want to go once your girl regrows her flight feathers. See how she does and go from there.

sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2017, 09:50 PM   #6
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Warning - scary story...but Tumi is FINE at the end!
Tumi had been completely flighted until a couple of weeks ago. I have windows, but I thought I was fine because I had spent time making sure he understood they were there and he didn't show interest in them. I had him out, and walked to the other side of the condo with him. I set him on his cage beside my kitchen so that I could make a sandwich not four feet away. He wasn't happy, but I was only going to be a quick second. All of a sudden he took off and I heard a horrible thud, and after a minute of searching I found him on the ground and had a horrible moment when I thought he was dead. I rushed him to the nearest emergency vet (his vet was closed) and he was checked out and slowly recovered. I am very fortunate. He didn't break any bones, and simply suffered the shock and impact. He has fully recovered except the remains of the bruise on his beak to remind me. And he is now a clipped bird and always will be. He is a talented flyer, knew about the windows, and was nowhere near them. He was not unsupervised, but he was faster than me. I almost lost him in one second. Anyway, I'm sorry for the horrible, scary story, but I would rather you read about my experience than go through it yourself. I do think there can be some circumstances in which flighted is safe, but I also think that we are too often simply lucky.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 02:18 AM   #7
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

I've been thinking if clipping Tobie too Dana, he's getting better and he loves to fly but he has a recurring problem with the bedroom mirror. I decided he's not allowed in the bedroom now and it has not been a problem but I think I'm going to take down the mirror completely​ and replace it with a curtain. I also like the suggestion of having curtain or sheers cover the windows and I do that too. Tumi's story is definitely a scary reminder of the dangers flight can pose as there are many.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 01:38 PM   #8
Isada18

Isada18 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoo252 View Post
Warning - scary story...but Tumi is FINE at the end!
Tumi had been completely flighted until a couple of weeks ago. I have windows, but I thought I was fine because I had spent time making sure he understood they were there and he didn't show interest in them. I had him out, and walked to the other side of the condo with him. I set him on his cage beside my kitchen so that I could make a sandwich not four feet away. He wasn't happy, but I was only going to be a quick second. All of a sudden he took off and I heard a horrible thud, and after a minute of searching I found him on the ground and had a horrible moment when I thought he was dead. I rushed him to the nearest emergency vet (his vet was closed) and he was checked out and slowly recovered. I am very fortunate. He didn't break any bones, and simply suffered the shock and impact. He has fully recovered except the remains of the bruise on his beak to remind me. And he is now a clipped bird and always will be. He is a talented flyer, knew about the windows, and was nowhere near them. He was not unsupervised, but he was faster than me. I almost lost him in one second. Anyway, I'm sorry for the horrible, scary story, but I would rather you read about my experience than go through it yourself. I do think there can be some circumstances in which flighted is safe, but I also think that we are too often simply lucky.
Thank you, my city has the "tons of glass" apartment trend so I am doubtful that she wouldn't fly headfirst into one of the windows and break her neck if that still happens to some of the birds of the species.
Isada18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 11:14 PM   #9
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

I don't like having Ollie clipped, but he has to be for my Husband's peace of mind.
He is fine with it. He preens his feathers daily. It has been a while since he was clipped.
After reading what Tumi went through I am glad that Ollie is clipped.
Old 06-03-2017, 01:20 PM   #10
WingleBird

WingleBird is on a distinguished road

I have a huge sliding glass door (in a little bitty house!) I have always "decorated " it with window clings, or vinyl clings. For years I have done this for the outside birds (ok,yeah, a little bit for me too!) For the most part it has stopped them from flying into it. I have found it helps Wingle stay away from it too. For that reason it is over decorated and kinda cheesy!!
I did clip him last summer, he was getting sooo aggressive and I was having lots of trouble with him but I regretted it because it sent our trust back really far . He is fully flighted again and can get great height. He's so proud of himself and he does get exercise. As long as he is safe, I'll most likely keep him flighted-he is a bird after all!
Mrs.JP3-could you drape something over your bedroom mirror to keep Tobie safe and uncover when you want to use it? Perhaps just a light scarf? Just a thought.
RubyDoo and Tumi- I'm sooo glad he's ok, I'm sorry you had to go through that. I'm had a mad dash to the vet myself (my chihuahua) and it's such an awful thing to go through.