Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Breeding

Notices

Parrotlet Breeding If you're interested in breeding your parrotlets, this is the place for you!

Egg bound hen

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 116 times.

Old 05-27-2017, 03:18 PM   #1
Corsara

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Corsara is on a distinguished road

Egg bound hen

I've posted most of this info in the introduce yourself section, but I thought I best put it here as well to get advice from any breeders. My 1 1/2 year old green rumped hen has been egg bound for about 24 hours. I gave her a warm bath, put olive oil on her vent, put calcium in her water and dusted damp seeds with calcium too.

I called my local vet this morning, asking if they had liquid calcium, and they basically said no and hung up, and I can't find an avian vet.

I've had the pair for 3 weeks, and I got them from a retiring breeder. They had a cuttlebone in their cage when they came, and eat fruit and veg happily, so they are obviously used to a good diet.

She has done 3 or 4 massive poops in the last 24 hours, one in the last hour or so, so that makes me wonder if she's still able to poop, is she not completely blocked?

I'm thinking I might have to help her out, but she is still able to fly and perch fine, so I'm in wait and see mode right now. I'd appreciate any tips or advice.
Corsara is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-27-2017, 11:35 PM   #2
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Exclamation

Hello.

I think you answered your own query. You said you got birdies from a retiring breeder? Call that breeder at once! Right now! Wake that breeder up if you have to! If that breeder refuses to help you, then ask that breeder for another name of another breeder! This is important!

Do not let that parrotlet breed again in the future. It is not worth the risk.

Keep us posted and do not waste time on this!

David and Bogie.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
Corsara

The breeder has ignored all the other questions I've tried asking him, so I didn't bother contacting him, but I contacted a friend of mine who breeds other birds. I had her in the steamy bathroom last night for a while, until the steam set the fire alarm off for the 3rd time! I tried to give her a hand last night at about midnight, and it looked as if I would cause a prolapse if I continued, so I left it. I just went to have another look, as I was considering trying to get a veterinary hospital in Plymouth (I don't drive). She laid it!! I'm so relieved, its been such a nightmare weekend. I'm exhausted already as I've been hand raising 2 dove chicks for the last 2/3 weeks.

Old 05-28-2017, 06:15 AM   #4
Corsara

My next concern is if she is going to try and finish this clutch. This is the first egg. What can I give her to help? I'm giving calcium, baths, soft food/egg food.

Last edited by Corsara; 05-28-2017 at 06:18 AM..

Tags
egg bound