Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk > Do It Yourself

Notices

Do It Yourself If you want to build your own parrotlet toys, cage, or any other parrotlet-related projects, talk about it here for ideas and help.

Foraging toy ideas

This thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 164 times.

Old 05-25-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
sanguinaria

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

Foraging toy ideas

There hasn't been a foraging toy thread in a little while! I've started to think that some of Tihota's issues may be linked to lack of foraging opportunities, so I bought a bunch of things to hopefully help with that and am interested in what you guys have up your sleeves as far as fun homemade foraging toys go.

So far, I've bought a bag of crinkle paper shreds to put in a bowl and make him dig around for seeds, tissue paper to wrap nutriberries in, and Chinese finger traps to hide millet in!

sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2017, 06:45 PM   #2
rizzie5022

Parrotlets Owned: 1

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

Hi my guy does not seem to like ttforage....however he loves loves to shred the wicker stars, balls and shapes. That is what we stock his cage with.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:01 PM   #3
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

I bought some paper cupcake cups and put treats in the bottom and shove crinkle paper in it so he has to forage through it.. but he's figured that one out really easily now. I also have hung toilet paper rolls stuffed with crinkle paper and with slits cut throughout the roll and put treats in there too.

We have also put treats in little cardboard boxes, wrapped up in tissues, etc.. Levi loves to forage.

Old 05-25-2017, 08:37 PM   #4
sanguinaria

Oh, I bet Tihota will like that toilet paper roll idea! I'm not sure if he likes foraging yet... I introduced him to a store-bought foraging toy featuring crinkle paper the other day and he seems pretty into the paper, so I'm hopeful.

Old 05-25-2017, 09:04 PM   #5
theteenygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinaria View Post
Oh, I bet Tihota will like that toilet paper roll idea! I'm not sure if he likes foraging yet... I introduced him to a store-bought foraging toy featuring crinkle paper the other day and he seems pretty into the paper, so I'm hopeful.
I can put crinkle paper in anything and Levi will go nuts for it! Give it a try!
Old 05-25-2017, 10:45 PM   #6
WingleBird

WingleBird is on a distinguished road

Wingle's favorite toy is one I have to make or add too often. I take egg carton, the paper/cardboard type and cut the cup parts off and invert them so one is cupping a bottom one and put 2 of these sets plus some squares I cut from the carton as well. I cut a slit in the bottom of each cup to they can be placed on a skewer and hung in his cage. Cheep, easy and he loves it. I put his seed mix inside and maybe a little piece of walnut, his favorite. He loves to shread the cups as much as finding what is inside. This last time I added some balls and stars for something different. I've been doing this for almost as long as I've had him.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (96.5 KB, 11 views)
Old 05-26-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingleBird View Post
Wingle's favorite toy is one I have to make or add too often. I take egg carton, the paper/cardboard type and cut the cup parts off and invert them so one is cupping a bottom one and put 2 of these sets plus some squares I cut from the carton as well. I cut a slit in the bottom of each cup to they can be placed on a skewer and hung in his cage. Cheep, easy and he loves it. I put his seed mix inside and maybe a little piece of walnut, his favorite. He loves to shread the cups as much as finding what is inside. This last time I added some balls and stars for something different. I've been doing this for almost as long as I've had him.
Huey would like htis, I think I will try it. He would probably love to shred the cups. I forgot to mention Huey also loves to "read" my books with me My books have the pretties edges lol
Old 05-26-2017, 08:59 AM   #8
theteenygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingleBird View Post
This is genius! Egg cartons.. why didn't I think of that! Thanks!
Old 05-28-2017, 09:12 AM   #9
sanguinaria

What a great idea! Unfortunately we don't have eggs in the house, but I'm sure I could rustle some cartons up from friends. Thanks!

Old 05-31-2017, 02:21 AM   #10
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Cool ideas! I wish Lilly would forage more, I'm trying. She like Yucca rounds, so I stuck some Sunflower seed in them, I also stuck some in her grass mat. I made a large food bowl with crinkle paper, straws, foot toys, all kind of stuff and mixed seed in there. I also used a millet tray/holder and put some seed in the bottom but then stuck a paper stuffed finger trap in it so she has to chew to get to the bottom of the trough.
So far nothing is getting much action and i need her to focus on something besides her feathers!

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote