Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

is this diet complete?

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 147 times.

Old 05-25-2017, 04:01 AM   #1
veneri

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

veneri is on a distinguished road

is this diet complete?

I have a question about diet. my parrotlets aren't very good veggie eaters. I also work fulltime and cannot feed fresh during the day, i can only rovide fresh in the evening and they will spoil most of it and fling it out the cage.

they do love their sprouted seeds. do you think a diet with these ingredients can be complete:

-aviseed sproutmix: Ingredients: Yellow millet, safflower seed, wheat, japanese millet, mung beans, niger seed, rapeseed, white dari, hemp seed, red milo, buckwheat, sesame seed, quinoa seed.

-aviseed dry seedmix: Ingredients: Canary seed, white millet, yellow millet, paddy rice, japanese millet, safflower seed, grass seed, peeled oats, hemp seed, red millet, yellow panicum, buckwheat, flax seed, niger seed, rose hip seed, sesame seed, white dari, pine seed, barley, mung beans, clover seed, marian thistle seed, red milo, red panicum, white perilla, rape seed, radish seed, spinach seed

-easyyem herba: Composition: Nettle, fennel, shepherd purse, sage, yarrow, ribwort. thyme, chickweed, wormwood.

-easyyem plant: Composition: Broccoli, carrots, white cabbage, spinach, courgette, bell pepper.

-easyyem spirulina

-Egg food for parakeets CeDe:
Ingredients
Bakery products, eggs and egg products, sugar, seeds, vegetable protein extracts, oils and fats, minerals.
Crude 16% Vitamin A 19 500 IU
Fat 6.5% Vitamin D3 2,000 IU
Fiber 4.2% Vitamin E 30mg
Moisture 11% Vitamin K 2mg
Ash 5% Vitamin B1 12mg
Calcium 0.9% Vitamin B2 38mg
Phosphorus 0.4% Vitamin B3 55mg
Sodium 0.5% Vitamin PP 100mg
Magnesium 0.01% Vitamin B6 1.75 mg
Choline 210 mg Vitamin B12 0.07 mg
Folic Acid 6.8 mg Vitamin H 0.38 mg
Manganese 80mg Vitamin C 4mg
Zinc 58 mg Cobalt 1.8 mg
Copper 5mg Iron 29 mg
Calcium 1.2 mg

do you think this diet can provide all the needed nutrients? in what amounts should all these stuff be fed?

Last edited by veneri; 05-27-2017 at 01:37 PM..
veneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-26-2017, 12:41 PM   #2
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

It looks like an extensive diet to me, I think your doing great, not sure why you listed the sugar but try to stay away from sugar.
If I may suggest a fresh option, I like this food from http://christineschopshop.com/
She sells an organic grain bake that all my birds love with tons of good stuff. You just mix it, toss it in the oven to bake and then I freeze little cubes and microwave one a day.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:37 PM   #3
veneri

the sugar is in the ingredient list form the Cede eggfood. should i use eggfood to supplement protein and vitamins, or would it be better to use a vitamin supplement?
protein can be added by feeding cooked pulses, egg and bee pollen.

Old 05-27-2017, 11:22 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Thumbs up

Hello!

I was looking over your list of dietary supplies and I am quite impressed, to say the least. Parrotlets are a very easy bird to feed well. They enjoy a lot of different kinds of foods and you are smart to determine what is best for our little ones.
My Bogie is 8 and a half years old and for the most part, he has had a good feeding life. I have always mixed it up for him. It wasn't until recently did I have trouble with him refusing to eat a wide variety of foods that he ate all his life.

He wasn't sick, because the vet looked him over beak to tail--inside and out! So, I asked this forum for help and got a lot of suggestions and I got the help I needed. If anything was learned from my experience with feeding Bogie, it was this...I had to keep it simple with him. I got too fancy with his feedings and became his personal chef, so to speak. I was on the way of overdoing it and it was killing my little guy!

My Aunt had a parakeet named " Dickiebird." He was 2 years old when I was born. I was 15 years old when he died! Yep. He was 17 years old! He was raised on a very simple diet..The old Hartz Mountain boxed parakeet seed. He ate that for all those years, along with a drop of whiskey in his water on Friday afternoon. He got a treat, every once in a while, but his diet was mundane I miss that bird!.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2017, 01:33 AM   #5
veneri

Thanks for the reply. So this diet could be good enough when they don't eat fresh veggies or pellets?
It is so hard to feedcfresh during the week.i can only force them to eat fresh to feed thevfresh food and nothing else during the day.but i'm gone for work and the food will go bad during the day.
They do eat pellets but i prefer a varied diet instead of feeding pellets.

Another question: the veggies are freeze dried so very good quality, but non organic.
How do you guys think about feed non organic but good quality food?

What do you think about the eggfood? Should i feed this for protein and vitamin supplementation,or aould it be better to leave this out (because of hormonal female and because of the ingredients) and replace it by a vitamin supplement?
I already use calcivet twice week for calcium,vit d and magnesium.
Old 06-05-2017, 02:06 AM   #6
veneri

another idea:
i could leave the eggfood out and maybe supplement with a complete vitamin/mineral supplement a couple of times a week, i could ad some nuts and bee pollen.

this could be the ingredients of the total mix;

Canary seed, white millet, yellow millet, paddy rice, japanese millet, safflower seed, grass seed, peeled oats, hemp seed, red millet, yellow panicum, buckwheat, flax seed, niger seed, rose hip seed, sesame seed, white dari, pine seed, barley, mung beans, clover seed, marian thistle seed, red milo, red panicum, white perilla, rape seed, radish seed, spinach seed
Nettle, fennel, shepherd purse, sage, yarrow, ribwort. thyme, chickweed, wormwood.
Broccoli, carrots, white cabbage, spinach, courgette, bell pepper.
bee pollen, walnuts

but how much of everything should i put in the mix?
Old 06-05-2017, 04:10 AM   #7
veneri

I feel so silly
i'm really a birdfood nerdy. i just made a spreadsheet with some ingredients and calculated the vitamins and minerals (natural vitamins and minerals from beepollen, spirulina, dehydrated veggies aren't included):

the mix:
-Aviseed parakeet seedmix 40 %
- Avian Beepollen 5%
- Cede Eggfood small parakeets: 20%
- Easyyem herba mix: 4%
- Easyyem plant mix: 5%
- oystershell: 0,10 %
- Avian fruit patee: 10%
- Spirulina: 2,5%

protein:13,73%
fat: 5,25 %
vitamin A: 7150 IE/kg
vitamin D: 621,76 IE/kg
calcium: 0,4%/kg

another option is to just mix the seeds, bee pollen, dehydrated veggies and herbs without eggfood and other stuff, and supplement wit a multivitamin/mineral supplement several times week.
when i calculate this the analyse will look like this:
protein: 14%
fat: 6,35%
natural vitamins from beepollen, spirulina, dehydrated veggies and herbs aren't calculated.

I have ggogled the vitamins and minerals in Beepollen and spirulina, it seems these contain so much needed vitamins and minerals, better than the synthetic stuff that comes form eggfood.
it looks like these products can complete the food without the need for synthetic extra's.

would you choose the natural mix (with or without a supplement), or the mix with eggfood in it?

Last edited by veneri; 06-05-2017 at 05:05 AM..