Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

Aurora's Diet

Pushing fresh foods

This thread has 6 replies and has been viewed 119 times.

Old 05-23-2017, 07:30 PM   #1
aurora'smomma

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

aurora'smomma is on a distinguished road

Aurora's Diet

Hi guys!

Hope this finds whoever reads this well, along with your birdies of course. I have an 8 month old parrotlet that I adopted in December. When Aurora came home to me she ate all of her fresh foods just fine. Now, over time, she has had a declining interest in ALL fresh foods. She really prefers her seeds. I asked on here about it already but I am looking for any fresh insight out there that may exist. I called my breeder and she was not happy that Aurora is refusing her fresh foods. She also said that she would never give her parrotlets nutriberries. Do you all feel that nutriberries are bad? The reason I give her one per day is because she loves it and will get nutrients from it. Does anyone have any recommendations on peaking her interest in fresh foods? I have a set routine where I give her fresh foods in the morning and seeds in the afternoon. She will wait all day for her seeds! How do I get her munching on kale, bok choy, carrots, celery, quinoa, wild rice, cucumber, broccoli, corn, peas, ect, ect, I just really want my baby to live many years of happy life and so I am worried about her seed fetish. Any advice on promoting fresh food eating would be much appreciated!
aurora'smomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017, 07:47 PM   #2
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Maybe change up how you offer it? Hang it from the side of the cage? The roof?
I personally feed a lot of nutriberries to Tumi, who loves them. His avian vet is happy with this. Breeders are good sources of information, but they didn't go to vet school so they aren't the source of all information. I treat nutriberries as pellets that aren't ground up, which the ingredients list really is like that.
While I agree fresh foods are important, there aren't many calories in most of those things on the list. Aurora might be needing to up her intake of calories now that she's a big girl. I mean, she's probably over 30 grams!
Pay attention to which seeds she goes for. Are they the fatty ones, or is she actually into grains? Tumi is wild for buckwheat and oats in his seed mixes, which are both healthy grains so I am happy to let him pig out on those. He ignores the actual seeds in the mix, the silly boy. Is Aurora eating sunflower seeds or does she like her grains raw?

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
aurora'smomma

aurora'smomma is on a distinguished road

l will try changing up how I feed her. Perhaps that will peak her interest. She eats all of her seeds including the sunflower seeds. I am glad to gain knowledge from owners like you who have healthy birds so thank you.
aurora'smomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-23-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Keep trying. Give fresh greens mixed with brown rice, snap peas, romaine lettuce and a sprinkle of Hemp seeds. Birds love this mix. Keep trying daily with different types of veggies. Eventually she should start eating her greens. Oatmeal is good, so is quinoa.
Sometimes Ollie seems like he doesn't eat much of it, but whatever he eats, it's enough. His poops are very green, so he is getting something. I put it in a separate dish.

BTW, OLLIE loves Nutriberries!

Last edited by lindav; 05-23-2017 at 08:48 PM..
lindav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:09 AM   #5
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

I found that the only way I can get Levi to eat SOME fresh foods (he's very picky) is to feed them to him from a stainless steel bowl hanging from the side of the door of his cage, with the door open so he can drop the stuff he doesn't like onto the floor.

At least I know he's eating SOMETHING!
Old 05-30-2017, 04:36 AM   #6
myster_pda

myster_pda is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteenygirl View Post
I found that the only way I can get Levi to eat SOME fresh foods (he's very picky) is to feed them to him from a stainless steel bowl hanging from the side of the door of his cage, with the door open so he can drop the stuff he doesn't like onto the floor.

At least I know he's eating SOMETHING!
Talk about spoiling the little demon!

We were starting to have some success with Odin but he reverted and plays the same waiting game, screaming for his seeds and starving until he gets them, even if it's late in the afternoon. At first, sprinklingg some chia seeds on fresh food helped but now he just ignores the fresh stuff. Only thing he seems to eat now is corn...but he drops them on the floor and then screams for us to put them back in the bowl. Really frustrating.

His feathers are starting to look bad
myster_pda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 04:38 AM   #7
myster_pda

myster_pda is on a distinguished road

He also eats frozen berries and strawberries (seed junkie...) but I've read that those are not that healthy and shouldn't be fed too much due to high sugar content.
myster_pda is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
eating fresh foods more