Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Bonded Afraid Parrotlets

This thread has 3 replies and has been viewed 95 times.

Old 05-22-2017, 09:48 PM   #1
Redstone103

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Redstone103 is on a distinguished road

Bonded Afraid Parrotlets

Hi there! I have never posted on here before and I am a first time parrotlet owner, so bear with me if my post doesn't make sense!

I have two parrotlets, Kiwi and Uva. I got Kiwi first since I only wanted one parrotlet, but saw that he looked very sad and wouldn't eat or interact much. I got him from my local petshop and at the petshop he was already with a female parrotlet. I should have gotten both of them in the first place, as I think they may have already been bonded. I got Uva about a month later, and while they get along with one another (they sit very closely together and do everything together) they are very, very afraid of anyone and everyone. They are also very shy. Whenever you enter the room, they immediately stop whatever it is they were doing--whether eating, talking, playing, and stay very still.

Any slight movement, even walking into the area they are in scares them, no matter how much we try to soothingly talk to them. I have tried to slowly put my hand in the cage and have them get used to it, but to no avail--I fear they will hurt themselves when they fly around the cage trying to get away from me. I worry that maybe they act this way as leftover treatment from the petshop--I am not sure how the handling was done there, but I wonder if maybe they are traumatized from that time? So far I have had them for eight months but really don't know what to do. I can see that they are a bit shy, but don't know why they would be so afraid. I fear that if I let them out of the cage they might not go back inside, both because of their fear of me, and because they haven't really been trained. Any suggestions? I appreciate it!
Redstone103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2017, 06:42 AM   #2
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Hi and welcome to the forum!
How old are they?
Also, quick check, do you wear nail polish? Birds are VERY sensitive to color, and nail polish is pretty well hated by most, as is red/orange/pink.
Keep at slowly convincing them that you aren't a parrotlet-eating monster. Remember that they are TINY and you are HUGE. There is a large chance they were forcibly grabbed at the pet shop, making them associate humans with hawks and thus the extra fear. It will be a slow process to overcome that fear.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 09:03 PM   #3
lindav

Parrotlets Owned: 1

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

It's going to take a lot of time and patience for both birds to trust you. Birds teach us patience with them. Don't stress about it. Give them love and see how they respond to you. I never had two parrolett that may want to breed. Best to you.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:11 PM   #4
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Lightbulb

Hello and welcome!

Your parrotlets have been exposed to the public traffic that all pet stores and pet shops have. They are not trusting you because they have been moved around too much. If you want babies, then keep them together,( if they accept each other as mates). They may decide to fight and it won't be pretty. One could die.
I suggest that you separate them into two cages located away from each other. Do this until you calm them down . Start with the one you have had the longest and try to band with that one. Read about the Step Up procedure located to the left of this post under Training and Bonding---in fact. read all the forums there. It will take all the patience you have to bond with them. P'letts are difficult birds and smart, too.

What are you feeding them? Veggies? Fruits? Small Hook bill foods? Is there a lot of action going on in your home? If so, put the birds in a quieter place until they settle down. Send us some pictures! We love pictures! Let us know what bis going on. We all will poitch in and try to help you and your birdies.

David and Bogie!
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote