Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

3 Month old starting to bite Alot

This thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 228 times.

Old 05-06-2017, 07:14 PM   #1
WildWilly29

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

WildWilly29 is on a distinguished road

3 Month old starting to bite Alot

My girl Ella recently has started to bite whenever she is on something I don't want her to be. Whether it be my arm, shoulder, girlfriend, she's almost getting territorial about this? She never does this in her cage because she always wants to come out. She used to never bite me when I try to take her off my shoulder, but now she won't stop biting everyone. I think she may be going through a slow molt because she's getting pin feathers, but they aren't everywhere. I've tried gentle beak, and putting her in her cage when she bites, but it doesn't seem to be helping
Thanks
WildWilly29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2017, 09:34 PM   #2
TheBeans

Parrotlets Owned: 1

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

She might be going thru her Terrible-Twos. Read this thread for more information:

http://talkparrotlets.com/showthread.php?t=76097

If she continues to be extra-territorial about her cage, the best thing you can do is rearrange the cage interior. This will take away their feeling of being the Boss Bird in their little palace. It throws them off a little to have to re-explore a place they have come to know very well and that usually helps with the attitude about their home.

Daisy & Wendy
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:25 PM   #3
WildWilly29

WildWilly29 is on a distinguished road

Sorry, I meant territorial about being on my shoulder or arm. As in she tries to bite if I go to remove her. She's actually NEVER territorial about her cage because she always wants to be out. I thought the terrible twos was at 2 years? Also I considered puberty, but it seems to early.
WildWilly29 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-07-2017, 10:48 PM   #4
TheBeans

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

The terrible twos as we humans know it, does tend to kick in when our offspring are around 2 yrs. old. However, for parrotlets, it's usually between 6-10 months, although it can vary from bird-to-bird. She'll hit puberty about the time she hits 1 year in age and you'll go through all of the same terrible-twos behavior again, although by then you'll know how she reacts and how to deal with it. Hang in there...it does pass!

Daisy & Wendy
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Parrotlets aren't good shoulder birds. Tumi bites my neck, and so do many. Unless she learns to keep her beak to herself, I would say she has lost shoulder privileges.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 07:43 AM   #6
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

This happened with my guy but it was around 9 months. Gentle beak worked wonders with him, I would l not allow the shoulder time until this stops.

I got good at seing when he was going to bite, so I could prevent it by saying gentle beak before the bite.
Old 05-08-2017, 09:11 AM   #7
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Yeah this happened to Levi. He was biting so much and I was trying to figure out what would set him off but.. it was really everything. Terrible twos. He had me at my wit's end because he was so snuggly when I first got him and then all he did was bite bite bite.

Make sure you still keep handling her even if she is biting a lot and it is frustrating you. She will eventually settle down. And I would limit or get rid of shoulder time all together. Same goes for sitting on heads. When she is biting, try giving her a toy to distract her so she bites it and not you.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #8
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteenygirl View Post

Make sure you still keep handling her even if she is biting a lot and it is frustrating you. She will eventually settle down. .
I stopped handling Huey when he started to bite really hard. I figured I would let him learn us, and then he would like us and then I could start again.

Well that didnt really work. He did become our bird and we had a nice enough relationship but he really did not like hands at all. We really had a hard time handling him. After a couple of years I decided to start again, when he clipped his wings (for a different reason). We have made a lot if progress and I am hoping our training sticks now that his feathers are growing back in.

I should have never quit in the beginning...
Old 05-08-2017, 07:07 PM   #9
Malachi
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

It is important to continue training through the challenging periods, and it sounds like the "terrible twos" have come with your little birdie. To what's been shared I'd add, it might be good to use more frequent shorter sessions of handling, ending on positive notes when possible, also, as needed, it might be good to used short timeouts when your little one is being too nippy...three to five minutes, then back out with you. Along with using "gentle beak" and such, if you stay in their your bird should come through this just fine and settle down on the other side of it. Good luck, and "may the force be with you"!
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 05:18 AM   #10
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Ella is going through the "terrible twos." Gentle beak will help this problem.

When Ollie (3 yrs.) is on my shoulder will bite for a reason----he is bored and wants food. So I put him back where his play gym and food are-----he is good. If he still chirps a lot and is looking for attention, back to his cage he goes. Sometimes I haven't the time to entertain him. Best to you.

Last edited by lindav; 05-10-2017 at 05:20 AM..
lindav is offline   Reply With Quote