Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk

Notices

Parrotlet Talk Talk about anything having to do with parrotlets here!

Advice on introducing a 2nd Parrotlet

Troubles with the first female accepting a male.

This thread has 10 replies and has been viewed 277 times.

Old 05-04-2017, 10:30 PM   #1
Zoxo

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Zoxo is on a distinguished road

Advice on introducing a 2nd Parrotlet

Hello,

I'm hoping someone can help me. I have a 3 yr old female that I brought into my home as a baby while I worked from home. Now that I work away from home most days, my female has been very lonely (she is very attached to me).

Anyway, long story short, it was heart breaking that she was lonely, so I bought a second parrotlet male for her to have a friend. Now the problem is that my original bird refuses to accept the male. She attacks him. He is 4 months old, and is in a separate cage until she accepts him.

Any advise from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Zoxo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2017, 02:19 AM   #2
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Here's the thing about Parrotlets, they do not easily get along with eachother and your female sees him as an intruder to her bond with you, not as a potential friend.
For her, on top of things changing and seeing you less, now there is a strange flock member too.
This is really going to be a challenge for you unfortunately, because now you have 2 birds that require bonding and attention and not just one. The new bird needs to be socialized separate and your girl will still want her time with you.
Putting their cages next to each other so they become more used to each other is typically how you introduce them, but I'm not sure how well this is going to go at this point. She can really inflict injury or even kill him is she's aggressive enough. Remember, he is an intruder taking away her mate: You.
I hate to sound discouraging but I have a female who's 2, she was our first bird and she is absolutely a people only bird. We have added 4 more to the flock since her (all for us, not for her) and she has absolutely no interest in them as friends. She almost has no concept that she is a bird. She remains the most spoiled of all our birds.

I think your going to have to do your best at the moment to work with them individually.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 06:09 AM   #3
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Unfortunately, Violet (Mrs.JP3) is right about parrotlets. They aren't flock birds, and death/injury of a potential mate is very common. Unless you plan to breed them, something it doesn't sound like you have time for, they should NEVER share a cage even if they get along. And as the female is being aggressive, she is making it pretty clear that she has no need for another bird in her life. Parrotlets are capable of adjusting to new schedules with less human time as long as you give them each an hour a day of interacting. You shouldn't have them out at the same time, as it only takes a second for serious injury, so each of them will need an hour of their special time to be properly cared for each day.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-06-2017, 10:07 AM   #4
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Agree, they can never share a cage even if they DID get along. Be careful not to let him land on her cage either, you would be surprised how fast a toe can get a nasty bite. Happened to me once.
I'm sorry I don't have more encouraging suggestions.
I do want to welcome you to the forum and say we will be happy to hear about them and how it's going, we love photos and we will try to help in anyway we can!

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 12:36 PM   #5
Zoxo

Well that sure is bad news. Spent a dang fortune on this second one. He is only going on 5 months old. Beautiful pied bird. And I only bought him to keep her company. No I don't have time to breed... and if I did, I wouldn't be able to get her to like him anyway I guess :S

My daughter fell in love with our parrotlet, so when she moved away, got her own female. When she would come over, our bird was the same way towards her... attacking. But then my daughter got a second parrotlet to keep her female company. They had no problem at all. And what is crazy about the whole ordeal is that now when she brings BOTH of her birds over, mine is in love with the first one that she use to attack, and her mate is now the one chased away. Sigh... crazy birds.

So here is what makes it even weirder. I was at work and my wife let the new male out but not the female. The male successfully, on two consecutive days, coax my female to the edge of the cage, and let the male feed her! But that's it. Never when I am home. Maybe cause I am the one that she is attached to. If I have them out together, she still goes in for the fight.

This afternoon, I am having my daughter bring over her male and female. We'll see what happens then... I'll update you all anyway. I'm hoping that her two will want to be friends with this male (I'll start by letting the male out of his cage, and keep the female in her cage for a bit) and see how the dynamics are. I'm careful to guard this baby...

I really like the new bird too! except the whole idea was to give the female a friend. Oh well, I'll try for a couple months and if it doesn't work out I guess I'll have to find another home for him (totally sucks).

Thanks for the responses though! I had budgies growing up. Totally different bird. This would never happen with a budgie!!!

Here are some pics!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0690.jpg (79.5 KB, 21 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0689.jpg (77.7 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0687.jpg (73.1 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by Zoxo; 05-07-2017 at 12:42 PM..
Old 05-08-2017, 06:15 AM   #6
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

You are very correct - parrotlets have almost nothing in common with budgies. They are FULL parrots in small sizes with all of the needs of a large parrot. They like what they like and want what they want and there is nothing you can do about it.
If you are likely to rehome the youngster, please consider doing it now so that he will have time to develop a solid bond in his new flock. Remember that you are responsive for his life, welfare, and happiness as well, and that if he is going to learn to trust humans you need to teach him to step up and not bite and give him an hour a day or more of your time. If he is stuck in the cage with you, you are hurting his chances of a truly happy life, and should either commit to giving him your time or find a good home for him that will. Parrotlets are very special, and each bird that we choose to bring into our home we own care and attention to.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 10:48 PM   #7
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Question

HI.
I was wondering. Are your 2 birds the same sex or are they male and female? For sure? It is hard to tell from the pics. Just wondering.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 05:23 PM   #8
Zoxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
HI.
I was wondering. Are your 2 birds the same sex or are they male and female? For sure? It is hard to tell from the pics. Just wondering.
Hi sorry for taking so long to get back to you! The green one is the male (you can tell by the bright blue colouring around his eyes), and the blue one is a female.
Old 05-15-2017, 05:29 PM   #9
Zoxo

Update... well I've made some progress.

First off, @Rubydoo252 I know all about giving them lots of attention. I've been giving both of them tons of attention I'm playing it by ear in regards to re-homing the second one.

Secondly I have been making some really good progress (still a ways to go). My wife kept the female (aggressive one) in her cage and allowed the male out on his own. After a few hours, the mail one successfully started feeding the female through the cage!

Several days later, we allowed both in the same cage under close guard. The female chased him a bit, then finally gave up. After an hour or so, the female started doing some sort of dance and the two of them started feeding each other within the cage. It only lasted about ten mins or so, then she was back to chasing him. Then we put him back in his cage (can't trust them without our supervision).

Anyways the long and short of it, things have improved. I will give it a max of three more weeks then decide on re-homing at that time.

Thanks for all of the tips and advice!
Old 06-02-2017, 12:44 AM   #10
Zoxo

Update

Well the three weeks are up. They share the cage and are finally friends. Although the female still treats him like garbage a lot of the time, he is finally standing up to her, and has pretty much earned her respect. So much so that they have been cuddling each other on the occasion. Today they started mating so I'd say they pretty much will be ok after all.