Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

"OUCH!" biting reprimands?

This thread has 26 replies and has been viewed 407 times.

Old 06-01-2017, 03:01 PM   #21
theteenygirl

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Hmm this pointing thing is interesting. When Levi is getting fussy and I have to say "gentle" I do point my finger and if he keeps sort of biting it then I keep saying "gentle" and then when he touches my finger gently then I praise him. We also play a game called "got your beak" where I will hold his beak gently with two fingers and say "got your beak!" and he is really comfortable with me touching his beak now. He actually says "gotcher beak" back to me!
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2017, 07:38 PM   #22
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteenygirl View Post
Hmm this pointing thing is interesting. When Levi is getting fussy and I have to say "gentle" I do point my finger and if he keeps sort of biting it then I keep saying "gentle" and then when he touches my finger gently then I praise him. We also play a game called "got your beak" where I will hold his beak gently with two fingers and say "got your beak!" and he is really comfortable with me touching his beak now. He actually says "gotcher beak" back to me!
Melody plays with my finger all the time. She bites me when I ask her to step up little stinker but then she "play" snaps at my finger or let's me touch her beak, I do like Malachi does when I say "no bite" and usually she gets all cute on me by putting her head down for Scritches. Who was it that said it was like "fencing"? Lol
All my Parrotlet are pretty comfortable with me pointing at them even though it's "parrotlet taboo" they know I either have a treat for their beak in my finger, or a beak rub, sometimes just to play and for Scritches. As long as I don't come from above or behind they don't seem to mind.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:07 AM   #23
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
As long as I don't come from above or behind they don't seem to mind.
Yeah that's it exactly. My friends/family will sometimes get mad that he lunges when they try to pet him and I'm like.. well if you would stop bringing your hand down at him like a hawk like I told you too...

These humans need to be better trained. They will learn.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:01 PM   #24
Koiki

Koiki is on a distinguished road

That is one long article! But a lot of great insights.
So when Dima gets bitey with me I have been setting her down and walking away just for a moment. I don't put her back in her cage or give her a time out but just stop whatever we are doing together, this is after she is told to be Gentle and hasn't.... so far so good!!

Now, training the rest of the family is another thing! My Dad always complains that Dima bites him. He literally walks up to her cage asking her if she wants to bite him today and just lets her lunge and grab on. It seems people are harder to train for proper parrot behaviours then the parrots themselves!
Koiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2017, 03:23 PM   #25
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

I find sometimes Melody lunges at me like a dinosaur but if I actually let her at my finger she doesn't bite at all she's just playing. Key word, sometimes.... I'm also not very intimated by her most the time because I know her so well. I take cover when she flys at the sink or a dish towel though, she doesn't play with that.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 03:34 AM   #26
myster_pda

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

myster_pda is on a distinguished road

When Odin was starting his terrible twos, I turned around to ignore him after a bite. He got so infuriated by my gesture that he flew right on the back of my neck and bit really hard. "Don't go give me your conditional training b*******t!"
myster_pda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 07:00 AM   #27
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

My Huey absolutely loves to have his beak rubbed, he will actually doze off in my hand when I am rubbing his beak.

Maybe that is why gentle beak works so well with us. He is really not fond of a lot of handeling but a beak rub.... well that is a different story.