Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Notices

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Let's talk mirrors

This thread has 9 replies and has been viewed 152 times.

Old 04-28-2017, 04:53 AM   #1
myster_pda

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

myster_pda is on a distinguished road

Let's talk mirrors

I imagine this was discussed before but here we go.

http://feistyhome.phpwebhosting.com/mirrors.htm

What do you think? What's your experience with parrotlets? We all know they are very smart but they are little parrots and probably fall into the not-intelligent-enough category of parrots that can't tell between real and reflection.
myster_pda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2017, 06:32 AM   #2
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

It isn't an issue of intelligence as much as how their vision works. When it comes to mirrors, cons include increased hormonal issues, territoriality, egg-laying if female, and general biteyness. Pros include nothing. Therefore, mirrors are for humans, not birds.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 07:53 AM   #3
sanguinaria

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

I'd always heard they weren't great but didn't realize they could be THAT bad! I've never really seen him interact with it, but I'm taking the tiny mirror on one of Tihota's swings out right now!

sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-28-2017, 08:45 AM   #4
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

When I bought Levi I was given a lot of material to read before I picked him up and then I had to pass an oral test before they would allow me to bring him home. One of the very first "don'ts" in the materials from the breeder was "Do not give your bird a mirror" and it was really stressed. They didn't even recommend a mirror to budgies.
Old 04-28-2017, 02:32 PM   #5
laracroft

laracroft is on a distinguished road

I bought Micah a mirror once, but before I got around to putting it in his cage I was warned against it. So the only experience with mirrors he has is when he was very young and it hadn't occurred to me to turn my full length mirror to face the wall. He flew straight into it. He was fine, but it really scared me, so now that's always covered when he's out. Regardless of the degree of damage mirrors can do, most people I've heard from agree that they don't have any benefits. Like Dana said, the cons are extensive and the pros are nonexistent.

Is the logic behind them supposedly to give them interaction with 'another bird'? Because even if they didn't cause problems, I don't think that's good logic. If you think your bird needs more interaction, interact with them, don't throw a mirror in there and call it good.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 01:37 AM   #6
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

You know I think now its different than it used to be years ago, at least for me as a bird owner because it's so much easier to get information with the internet and forums and whatever...
When I was a kid and we got budgies you just got the little toys that were in the store, a mirror, whatever and we never really though about it. I guess if the information was out there we were just ignorant to it. I don't think it was a disaster but I certainly never considered giving my birds mirrors now for the reasons mentioned. I think also they are so used to actual contact if I show them "the bird" in the mirror they seriously look at me like
"What? This is boring."

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:14 AM   #7
myster_pda

What about letting him around one for short periods when outside?
Old 04-29-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

I don't cover my mirrors for me, but I don't give any to Tumi. Because he's not used to seeking out mirrors and he only sees my mirrors with me in the reflection as well, I think it works fine. They are flight hazards, but Tumi is now a clipped bird (probably for life) as he has quite an impressive bruise from bird vs. window. As long as you avoid flight issues, your bedroom/bathroom mirrors shouldn't be too much of a problem, but none in the cage of course! But if the bird starts caring about your mirrors, then you have to deal with them.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:18 AM   #9
laracroft

laracroft is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by myster_pda View Post
What about letting him around one for short periods when outside?
Is he interacting with it? Or is it just in the room where he's out? I would avoid having him interact with it for the reasons already discussed. If it's something you've just got hanging up that he ignores I probably wouldn't worry about it, though Micah did run into my mirror once, so depending on size and placement that might be a problem.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 04:02 AM   #10
myster_pda

He interacts with it. He also acts a bit funny when on the glass coffee table. Not the way he acts when given the little mirror. We will stop doing so, then.