Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk > Parrotlet Housing

Notices

Parrotlet Housing Discuss parrotlet housing here.

Cage set-up

This thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 335 times.

Old 04-18-2017, 09:13 PM   #1
Gigi

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Gigi is on a distinguished road

Question Cage set-up

Our very first parrotlet will be arriving in about a month! I've got a wonderful, new, EMPTY cage, a variety of perches and toys, but am feeling at a loss of how best to set things up. I'd love to see pics of how folks have set up the interiors of their parrotlet's cages. Thanks so much for your help!
Gigi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 PM   #2
laracroft

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

laracroft is on a distinguished road

Congratulations! That's so exciting! The big thing to remember is your bird will be climbing and flying all over that cage, so watch where things (ie droppings) might fall. Don't put any perches or toys directly over the food or water dishes. You'll save yourself cleaning time if the perches and toys don't get pooped on much either. Put perches at a variety of heights, and make sure the highest one is one that'll be comfy on their feet, because they'll likely be spending a lot of time there. As for toys, you don't know what kinds will be your bird's favorite yet, so choose a bunch of different ones, so you can get a sense of their preferences. Don't worry too much about getting it perfect, you'll have to swap it around anyway to keep them from getting bored.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:42 PM   #3
kiwibirder

kiwibirder is on a distinguished road

Hi! I am a newbie and it will be a couple of weeks before I bring home my first parrotlet, too. So, while I have kept budgies before, I am not experienced with Parrotlets yet. That being said, I can tell you that my breeder and the nice folks on this forum have advised me to set the cage up as a "baby" cage for a while. Food bowls on the bottom, thick layers of fleece on the bottom of the cage to cushion any falls, toys near the bottom of the cage. My breeder emphasised the need for swings, ladders and a "boing," a corkscrew type of perch that hangs from the top of the cage and nearly reaches the bottom, to help the baby navigate without falling. I hope that helps. I'm sure there are others here that can give you much better advice!

Here is a photo of a boing, in case you have never seen one. (This is the one I have, made by Happy Wings, on Etsy. They are available in cotton rope and sisal rope versions, as well, but after years of cleaning those, I decided to go with this much easier to clean version!)

Good luck, and congrats!!!

Last edited by kiwibirder; 04-18-2017 at 09:44 PM..
kiwibirder is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-19-2017, 06:25 AM   #4
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

We'll be looking to read your experience with your baby---congratulations!
Good advice from members----you will be a very good parront to your baby.
Loved the boing. Ollie loves his rope----can't find them in the store, so an order online will have to be the way to get one.
Old 04-19-2017, 01:25 PM   #5
tijya

tijya will become famous soon enough

The boing is one thing I don't have. Do they really like it that much? Is Kinston missing out?
tijya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:55 PM   #6
kiwibirder

kiwibirder is on a distinguished road

Someone else will have to tell you about Parrotlets and Boings, but it was always the most frequently-used perch by my budgies. The would play on it constantly.
kiwibirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 09:44 PM   #7
Gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibirder View Post
Hi! I am a newbie and it will be a couple of weeks before I bring home my first parrotlet, too. So, while I have kept budgies before, I am not experienced with Parrotlets yet. That being said, I can tell you that my breeder and the nice folks on this forum have advised me to set the cage up as a "baby" cage for a while. Food bowls on the bottom, thick layers of fleece on the bottom of the cage to cushion any falls, toys near the bottom of the cage. My breeder emphasised the need for swings, ladders and a "boing," a corkscrew type of perch that hangs from the top of the cage and nearly reaches the bottom, to help the baby navigate without falling. I hope that helps. I'm sure there are others here that can give you much better advice!

Here is a photo of a boing, in case you have never seen one. (This is the one I have, made by Happy Wings, on Etsy. They are available in cotton rope and sisal rope versions, as well, but after years of cleaning those, I decided to go with this much easier to clean version!)

Good luck, and congrats!!!

[SIZE="7"]Hi Kiwibirder,
It will be fun to be newbies together Thanks so much for all of the info! I really like the idea of the 'baby cage' set-up. Seems much safer for a new arrival, and I'll be better able to set up his 'big boy' cage after we've spent time together and I know more about his preferences. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!
[/SIZE]

Last edited by Gigi; 04-19-2017 at 10:05 PM.. Reason: trying to change font size
Old 04-19-2017, 09:54 PM   #8
Gigi

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroft View Post
Congratulations! That's so exciting! The big thing to remember is your bird will be climbing and flying all over that cage, so watch where things (ie droppings) might fall. Don't put any perches or toys directly over the food or water dishes. You'll save yourself cleaning time if the perches and toys don't get pooped on much either. Put perches at a variety of heights, and make sure the highest one is one that'll be comfy on their feet, because they'll likely be spending a lot of time there. As for toys, you don't know what kinds will be your bird's favorite yet, so choose a bunch of different ones, so you can get a sense of their preferences. Don't worry too much about getting it perfect, you'll have to swap it around anyway to keep them from getting bored.
Thanks for the advice and encouragement! We're very excited. I would love to eventually share pics of our little guy, but not only am I parrotlet newbie, but am also a 'forum' newbie, and don't know how to post pics. Can you offer any guidance in that arena? Thanks again!
Old 04-20-2017, 07:42 AM   #9
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijya View Post
The boing is one thing I don't have. Do they really like it that much? Is Kinston missing out?
I didn't have a boing until just recently. Melody LOVES her. She hardly sits anywhere else now! My other two live them also.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 07:48 AM   #10
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

In addition to what's already shared, make sure you have a variety of perches. The dowel type are not great. Find some natural wood, a cement perch (don't buy pumice it's dangerous) ropes, a swing...
Some birds especially babies take a while to even play with their toys. If you don't want to risk a bunch of shunned toys you can start with just a few different kinds and see what gets attention.
My birds all like yucca kabobs, paper toys, woven (grass?) Toys, Melody likes bells and beads. Blocks have never been a hit for me and pink is evil.

*Edit- oops sorry you just needed to see some set ups LOL after all the comments I forgot

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote