Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

bonding

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 172 times.

Old 04-18-2017, 12:39 PM   #1
itskassiani

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

itskassiani is on a distinguished road

bonding

Hey, all!

I'm new here, and also pretty new to owning parrotlets. I'm trying really hard to bond with my two, but I'm not sure its working. They rarely want to come out of the cage, and Kai attacks me every time I try to take him out but is fine once he's out. My new baby girl, who I still haven't really named (thinking Frankie) will come out on my finger good, but once she's away from Kai, who's in the cage, she just tries to get back and doesn't really want anything to do with me.
Does anyone have any tips for me that will help me bond with them better and get them more socialized with me?
I just want to love them ...

TIA
Advertisement

Old 04-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #2
tijya

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

tijya will become famous soon enough

I've only ever had one parottlet at a time, so I'm not sure. How long have you had them? If I were to reach into my parrotlet's cage to get him, 65% of the time he'd go after me. He's protective of his space. I'm allowed in there to fill his dishes. I let him come out on his own terms.

My sun conure is less protective of her cage and she's also lazy, so she does require retrieval.

One thing I tried with Kingston is playing parrotlet videos on youtube. He would come over to check it out. I think that helped him become comfortable with me. But he will never be the type that will be touched with hands, and that's ok. We work around it.
tijya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 02:25 PM   #3
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Have you tried to spend time with both of them at the same time in addition to separate training time?

BTW-welcome to the site. If you have pictures we would love to see them.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-18-2017, 03:51 PM   #4
itskassiani

Quote:
Originally Posted by tijya View Post
I've only ever had one parottlet at a time, so I'm not sure. How long have you had them? If I were to reach into my parrotlet's cage to get him, 65% of the time he'd go after me. He's protective of his space. I'm allowed in there to fill his dishes. I let him come out on his own terms.

My sun conure is less protective of her cage and she's also lazy, so she does require retrieval.

One thing I tried with Kingston is playing parrotlet videos on youtube. He would come over to check it out. I think that helped him become comfortable with me. But he will never be the type that will be touched with hands, and that's ok. We work around it.
I just got my second 2 weeks ago, and she's only nine weeks old now. Shes very shy and sort of timid, she rarely bites, but if she sees Kai biting me, she will try to bite me too. I'm hoping to bond wth her. Kai Ive had since June of last year. Hes super difficult... need lots of patience with that guy lol. Hes so okay to sit on my shoulder and hang with me, but ill never get a snuggly birdy outta him.
I do leave their cage open all the time, except for at night, or if I go out somewhere, they don't usually like leaving the cage. Sometimes I'll reach in and take them out, putting them on top of the cage because I have a little gym up there for them to use. I'll also put mullet up there to try and coax them out and to explore. My little girly sometimes gets curious and ventures out, but she's not so stable yet and has a hard time gripping on things.

I love conures, as well as parrotlets.
I will try the youtube videos; I have kind of done that a few times with Kai. Come to think about it, after I did it a few times; he started regurgitating food for me. I talked to my breeder, and she said that it was completely normal and he loves me lol. Not realizing that I am not a bird lol. Poor guy.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:57 PM   #5
itskassiani

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie3860 View Post
Have you tried to spend time with both of them at the same time in addition to separate training time?

BTW-welcome to the site. If you have pictures we would love to see them.

I have tried. My guy Kai is hand shy, but my little girly isn't. She sees how Kai reacts to my hands tho and she backs off too. It's hard to get them when they are together because Kai doesn't want to be around me too much. I rescued him, and I don't think the people who previously had him cared too much for him. He's perfectly content sitting in his cage.

I really just want them to love spending time with me. They like my presence, because the moment i leave the room they go nuts with the chirping. kind of cute.

Ive attached a pic of them, Kai is the boy, green, my girly, I havent named yet. Still thinking.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-04-12 at 11.27.19 AM.jpg (7.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 04-19-2017, 06:38 AM   #6
lindav

Parrotlets Owned: 1

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

They are beautiful birds---welcome to the forum.
Do you plan on breeding them?
Females are more "nest" conscientious----protective.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #7
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by itskassiani View Post
I have tried. My guy Kai is hand shy, but my little girly isn't. She sees how Kai reacts to my hands tho and she backs off too. It's hard to get them when they are together because Kai doesn't want to be around me too much. I rescued him, and I don't think the people who previously had him cared too much for him. He's perfectly content sitting in his cage.

I really just want them to love spending time with me. They like my presence, because the moment i leave the room they go nuts with the chirping. kind of cute.

Ive attached a pic of them, Kai is the boy, green, my girly, I havent named yet. Still thinking.
Good on you guys for rescuing Kai, that presents different challenges. I rescued my guys too from a difficult situation. They were very scared of people and hands and very aggressive about it. Also similar to you very much liked the security of their cage.

Things that worked for me was placing my hands in the cage a lot but not approaching them just doing cage maintenance and letting my hands hang out with them. Wanted to show that hands were not scary but just part of the world.
Also at one point the outside of the cage looked a lot like the inside of cage. Perches and food (treats) on the outside of the cage by the door so the divide between in and out was blurred. Even moved their favorite perch from inside to outside of the cage. Anything to make them feel safe and comfortable outside the cage and seek being out on their own.
There was other stuff along the way but this is where we started.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 03:07 PM   #8
itskassiani

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie3860 View Post
Good on you guys for rescuing Kai, that presents different challenges. I rescued my guys too from a difficult situation. They were very scared of people and hands and very aggressive about it. Also similar to you very much liked the security of their cage.

Things that worked for me was placing my hands in the cage a lot but not approaching them just doing cage maintenance and letting my hands hang out with them. Wanted to show that hands were not scary but just part of the world.
Also at one point the outside of the cage looked a lot like the inside of cage. Perches and food (treats) on the outside of the cage by the door so the divide between in and out was blurred. Even moved their favorite perch from inside to outside of the cage. Anything to make them feel safe and comfortable outside the cage and seek being out on their own.
There was other stuff along the way but this is where we started.
awesome advice! thank you !!
Old 04-20-2017, 08:18 AM   #9
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

I have a boy who runs for the safety of the cage. I try to let him hang out on the top with toys and food and he's getting better, I used to have to cover the cage so he couldn't see it, sometimes I go in other rooms but he scares so easily and without the cage to go back to he just hits things.
I have a plexiglass carrier I sit in other rooms too so he can be enclosed and see the room for new scenery when I'm hanging out there.
Tobie's idea of "time outside" is taking a vacation in someone else's cage LOL if any other doors are open I find him there having a grand time and eating their food.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote