Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Notices

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Tips for Bird Weight Loss?

I need suggestions...

This thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 304 times.

Old 04-17-2017, 10:54 AM   #11
TweakFox

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

TweakFox is on a distinguished road

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwibirder View Post
I have recently discovered the Flock Talk videos, and that young lady is incredible. So knowledgeable, and very intuitive when it comes to training. I can only hope to do half as well with my Parrotlet when I bring him home.
I know right! She is so unbelievable! I am so happy that I came across her channel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydoo252 View Post
Tumi viciously attacks cat balls, which can be rolled around and MUST use a bunch of energy. Just in case you want something other than flying for exercise.
Mmm! Good call. Tink does have a lot of squeaker toys that she goes nuts for, I'm going to start bring some more imaginative play into the equation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie3860 View Post
Flight. Jules is full flighted and spends much of the time we are home with us, on us and flying between us. Health, both physical and mental is the reason we keep her fully flighted even with the possible risks involved.
When we got Jules she was a poor cage bound creature. I remember her first flight in the house when a 10 foot flight across the room left her so winded she was panting her little heart out and it took her 10 minutes to recover. For four years we have watch her learn to fly, reclaim her health, and gain confidence. She eats mor now than ever but the work out of flying between us and around the house keeps her weight down and her health good.
Right on! Tink is also flighted because I could never bring myself to take away her ability to fly, it would break my heart. I'm moving my schedule around to make more time for her in the mornings (when she is most active and ready to go). It's hard with my work schedule, but I am also thinking of a different cage set up and maybe only taking half my lunch hour so I can get home earlier to spend more time with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Miller View Post
Hello!

Too much calories = too much bird.

Burn more calories = smaller bird.
This applies as long as Tink's health is well.
I love how simple your response is. My husband said the same thing and when he brought her food into the office yesterday. He decided no more seeds in her mix (honestly we don't give her that many seeds to begin with, it's less than half of her mix) and she was totally find yesterday enjoying just pellets and her veggies. I'm interested to see how this is going to go. Her weight is a little down from yesterday which makes me happy and let's see if it'll be a trend. I don't want her to lose too much though so this is going to be interesting trying to find a balance...

Thanks so much for your input everyone! I will let you know how it goes and if you have any other thoughts or tips, I would love to hear them! <3
Advertisement

Old 04-19-2017, 12:40 PM   #12
TweakFox

OK guys, here's the update!

Tink is now down 1g since last week. She is now on a pellet-only diet with fresh veggies. Seeds are now a treat that I use only for training. She is eating her pellets without a fuss and is now way more inclined to eat her veggies which makes me SO HAPPY!!

I have also increased her out time and am encouraging her to fly more which she seems eager to do anyway.

Hopefully things now keep trending in this positive direction. We still have 2g to go before she is where the vet wants her to be but I'm feeling good about the progress so far.

YAY!!
Old 04-19-2017, 01:24 PM   #13
theteenygirl

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Great news! You can do it Tink!1

Old 04-19-2017, 02:27 PM   #14
laracroft

laracroft is on a distinguished road

Go Tink! Sounds like she's on the right track.

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 10:26 PM   #15
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

One note. Bird weight is more about the feel of the keel than actual weight. If you start down the more exercise by flight method, Tink may not have to lose as much actual weight as shown on the scale to get back into flying trim that the vet will be happy with.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 02:35 AM   #16
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Late to the party, good thread! I don't think we have this question very often.
Way to go Tink!!

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:36 PM   #17
TweakFox

Thanks guys! Yes, this is a totally new thing for me to be dealing with too. I haven't weighed her today (trying not to do it every single day - don't want to turn into a crazy person) but she is looking good. She's been getting a huge amount of out time/flying time now and is really getting into a good food routine between her veg and her pellets.

I did have to buy her new tiny food dishes because in an initial little birdie rage session she was getting into her old dishes and fluffing around and tossing all of the pellets everywhere. Way to go birb.

I also made a big purchase of new perches, toys, ladders and a new rope hanging toy to get her more active and to make her cage a little more interesting. She's enjoying it so far but was so pooped after 4 hours of exploring my office, flying around and other birdie antics, she is now catching some zzzz on her favourite little rope swing.

Man I feel pretty happy with all of the changes and how well she's handling it. No weird behaviour and no birdie nonsense. It's good to see she's not pissed off with me for trying to get her healthy.