Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Notices

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Tips for Bird Weight Loss?

I need suggestions...

This thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 303 times.

Old 04-16-2017, 12:15 PM   #1
TweakFox

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

TweakFox is on a distinguished road

Tips for Bird Weight Loss?

Hey guys! Hope you all are having fantastic starts to your days today!

I am in need of some suggestions about weight loss when it comes to our little feathered friends. Tink's weight is getting a little out of control and the vet has asked me to help her lose a few grams. Needless to say this has not been an easy task thus far. Instead of losing weight I have managed to help her gain ANOTHER GRAM. ARE YOU KIDDING ME...

I have cut her seed intake by half and upped her veggie (leafy greens mostly) intake and am not seeing any change. I am doing my best to give her more out time and to get her more mobile, but it's really just not happening.

Any tips, routines you guys have, thoughts in general or anything at all really would be helpful to get me thinking outside the box.

Thanks so much guys!
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2017, 12:43 PM   #2
laracroft

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

laracroft is on a distinguished road

Well, if you can't get her out more, can you try to increase the amount of exercise she gets while out? Maybe try some flight training. Flock talk has some good tutorials on youtube. And if possible, you could try to get her out at different times of the day? I know with Micah, that has a big effect on how active he is while he's out. And maybe try foraging activities for some of her food, so she has to work to get it?

Micah
DOH: 3/18/2016
laracroft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:27 PM   #3
TweakFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by laracroft View Post
Well, if you can't get her out more, can you try to increase the amount of exercise she gets while out? Maybe try some flight training. Flock talk has some good tutorials on youtube. And if possible, you could try to get her out at different times of the day? I know with Micah, that has a big effect on how active he is while he's out. And maybe try foraging activities for some of her food, so she has to work to get it?
Great ideas, thank you! Yes, I love Flock-Talk so much! Her videos are INSANE! She is without a doubt some sort of bird whisperer, she needs a TV show. <3

I will definitely try to shake it up when it comes to Tink's activities. I am doing a lot of research online right now and watching a lot of Courtney's (my name is also Courtney but I'm of course referring to Courtney from Flock-Talk) videos to give myself some more ideas.

Thank you for responding! <3

Old 04-16-2017, 01:48 PM   #4
sanguinaria

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

It's funny you've posted this because in the past I had sent one of your videos to a friend of mine as an example of the parrotlet body type I like best! I WISH my boy had a few grams to lose.

I definitely agree that flight training might be helpful for Tink since it's such a metabolically intense activity!

sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 01:59 PM   #5
Malachi
Super Moderator

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

More opportunity for flight is exactly what comes to my mind, and perhaps smaller portions of food each day.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 02:05 PM   #6
TweakFox

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinaria View Post
It's funny you've posted this because in the past I had sent one of your videos to a friend of mine as an example of the parrotlet body type I like best! I WISH my boy had a few grams to lose.

I definitely agree that flight training might be helpful for Tink since it's such a metabolically intense activity!
Aww haha! Thank you for saying so! My vet often comments on how beautiful Tink is, but given the challenges we've been having with her trying to lay eggs and then the little liver flare up we had, she wants Tink to stay a little leaner than she is right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malachi View Post
More opportunity for flight is exactly what comes to my mind, and perhaps smaller portions of food each day.
Yes, this is definitely going to be my new priority. The more I read the more I'm realizing that my girl isn't getting enough air time. She has a lot of out time, but that's mostly just attached to me haha! She needs more action time in the air, getting those little wings of hers flapping!
Old 04-16-2017, 09:00 PM   #7
kiwibirder

kiwibirder is on a distinguished road

I have recently discovered the Flock Talk videos, and that young lady is incredible. So knowledgeable, and very intuitive when it comes to training. I can only hope to do half as well with my Parrotlet when I bring him home.
kiwibirder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 09:16 PM   #8
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Tumi viciously attacks cat balls, which can be rolled around and MUST use a bunch of energy. Just in case you want something other than flying for exercise.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 10:23 PM   #9
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Flight. Jules is full flighted and spends much of the time we are home with us, on us and flying between us. Health, both physical and mental is the reason we keep her fully flighted even with the possible risks involved.
When we got Jules she was a poor cage bound creature. I remember her first flight in the house when a 10 foot flight across the room left her so winded she was panting her little heart out and it took her 10 minutes to recover. For four years we have watch her learn to fly, reclaim her health, and gain confidence. She eats mor now than ever but the work out of flying between us and around the house keeps her weight down and her health good.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2017, 11:45 PM   #10
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Wink

Hello!

Too much calories = too much bird.

Burn more calories = smaller bird.
This applies as long as Tink's health is well.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote