Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

Food aggression

Anyone else?

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 250 times.

Old 03-21-2017, 07:44 AM   #1
mmmiu

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

mmmiu is on a distinguished road

Food aggression

Hi everyone!
I take Bernie out every morning to eat his breakfast near me but have noticed he's gotten a lot more aggressive.
I feed him avicakes and since it's a big block, I break it with my fingers while I put it down. As he eats, he picks it up and usually it falls out of his beak and onto the play gym. When I go to pick it up, he lunges at me. Now it's become worse as he lunges at me and grabs on my fingers while I'm putting his food in the dish.
If I put my hand near by, I need to watch out for my fingers, unless I slowly inch my hand closer, otherwise he'll bite. I tell him no, gentle and no biting, but of course since he's only 4 months old, he hasn't caught on the meaning yet lol.
Anyone else notice aggression during feeding? Any other time when I out food in the dish inside the cage, it's fine
As I'm typing this, he's coming towards my breakfast to try to nab something out of my dish
Thanks!

Old 03-21-2017, 08:02 AM   #2
rizzie5022

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

Do you have to pick it up? Or can he climb down to get it? My guy eats treats outside of his cage too and he would naturally drop food. It would fall to the floor..... I placed a piece of cardboard underneath the area he sits and now when it falls he just walks over and eats it.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #3
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

You are discussing resource guarding. It is pretty normal behavior. It usually manifests itself in protecting food, cage aggression, and sometime protection of the person. You will have to figure a way to train through it or accomidate it.

With my Jules she is very cage and person aggressive/protective. On her cage I can not get her to step up. She will bite us. What we do is open the cage and offer an arm and she hops over. She is also very protective of my wife and I. If we try to move her between us we will get bit. We have to bump body parts next to her and she will climb over. Can't help you much with the food. Jules actually prefers to be with or on us while eating.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-21-2017, 08:37 AM   #4
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

Oh yes, Levi does this too. I try to clean up around him when he's eating but you have to have quick fingers to clean up between those lunges! He will also sometimes bite me quite hard if I'm holding the food for him and.. GASP the food is all gone!
Old 03-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #5
Malachi
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

I might be inclined to leave the food be, and tend to it later; likewise, if eating with me, or from my plate, became an issue, inviting aggression from my bird I'd stop allowing it. I've often worked with birds that there were certain things that invoked inappropriate behavior, or an attitude, so I stopped offering those things to them.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:49 AM   #6
mmmiu

mmmiu is on a distinguished road

Thanks all! It's like he's a child (which technically still is) saying "mine"!!!!!! And doesn't understand sharing lol
So this morning while he's sitting on his dish in the play gym....I slowly scooched my fingers over, no biting but he looked wary.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:36 PM   #7
Bird Lady

Bird Lady has a spectacular aura aboutBird Lady has a spectacular aura about

Simon used to eat at the table with me until he decided he wanted both plates and started lunging and biting me for mine. Now I can't even make pop corn for us because he wants it all. Now I put a bowl in his cage and he's so busy screaming for mine he ignores his own. Impossible brat.....
Bird Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:43 PM   #8
Malachi
Super Moderator

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bird Lady View Post
Simon used to eat at the table with me until he decided he wanted both plates and started lunging and biting me for mine. Now I can't even make pop corn for us because he wants it all. Now I put a bowl in his cage and he's so busy screaming for mine he ignores his own. Impossible brat.....
Sounds like a typical, healthy parrotlet
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 01:55 AM   #9
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

My females lunge at me if I go near the food. I'm used to it. It works in my favor if I'm trying to get them to eat something healthy, I pretend to grab from the bowl and they go nuts trying to get it first. Heh heh heh...

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #10
Debra

Parrotlets Owned: 4

Debra is on a distinguished road

It sounds to me like Bernie is a pretty normal parrotlet!
~ RIP My Little Coconut 3/30/11 ~ 4/14/16
Debra is offline   Reply With Quote