Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Notices

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Odin's hormonal period

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 485 times.

Old 03-02-2017, 01:06 AM   #1
myster_pda

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

myster_pda is on a distinguished road

Odin's hormonal period

Odin is almost 8 months and has not been his sweet self the past month. He is still molting, too, so I guess it's double trouble. I'm not sure if it's full-blown hormones yet.

To help start the discussion, please take a look at this article and tell me if you agree with the pointers there. I can't really see the point of holding him by force, since he does stay, most times, even if just for a quick petting before giving me a warning nip. Also, she says to continue petting his back. Isn't that a no-no during the hormonal period? Is it recommended because he would be in the paper towel? Or because he is biting and not courting?

Other tips also welcome.

http://www.luckyfeathers.com/faq-parrotlets.htm
myster_pda is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-02-2017, 04:37 AM   #2
lindav

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

I am familiar with this website from Florida.
Perhaps this breeder meant to describe stroking the back of the head & neck area, not the back/wing area.
I never tried the paper towel to cuddle with my bird, only use a soft towel. After his nightly "scritches," Ollie gets very bitey, which indicates to me that he is ready for night-cage time. Normally he stops when I say "gentle beak."
Daytime I sometimes "play rough" with Ollie, which is my fault bringing out his aggressive behavior. However, he is so interested in my fingers, he ignores most everything else when playing with him.
Old 03-02-2017, 08:49 AM   #3
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

I know it sounds crazy.. but when Levi gets riled up and bitey or does his "give me scritches! But don't touch me!" routine (very frustrating btw) I perch him on my finger and sing to him. We have 6-7 songs that are kind of lullaby-ish that I sing to him and it calms him right down, within 15 seconds. Now, I don't have a great voice, but he thinks it's the best. Of course, if I stop singing and he still wants another song I get a good chomp haha.

But yes, the singing makes Levi calm down, puff up, beak grind, close his eyes... and he really likes to cuddle next to my cheek when it's sing song time

Old 03-02-2017, 02:13 PM   #4
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

I agree with most of these things aside from the back touching and towel holding. I have tried that method at times, but they just get so freaked out and struggle that I did not feel like it was doing much good. For biting I prefer distraction and deterring, or short handling sessions.
My friend who rescues large parrots uses this method to train and tame them, however when I see her do it seems to have a better affect on the large birds. With the little ones they seem to resist calming down at all, but that was just my own observation.

For my skittish boy, I did have to be a bit more forceful in encouraging him to come out of the cage and do new things. It did work somewhat well on him but I still try to be sensitive to his feelings.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #5
Malachi
Super Moderator

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Most of that seems good, but like Violet said the forceful holding and back petting does not register for me. I'd be inclined to suggest shorter, but more frequent sessions of handling during this period, and gentle corrections and time outs as needed, and yes, indeed, sweet talking and singing...these are things I used with Sky when she went through the "terrible twos" and it worked very well with her. Good luck with Odin!
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 02:47 PM   #6
myster_pda

Thank you everyone, cool answers. Odin is just going crazy over me typing this and is attempting to court the mouse, which he would never dare to do when my hand is on it - just bite away at the hand.

I guess I'm already doing fine then, no need to start on his back or give paper towers a more honorable job than...you know - Odin is flighted and not potty trained.

Not sure if hormones are the cause or not, but of late he is obsessed with chewing on the top of water bottles. He will fly to it and keeps doing that for as long as we allow it. Sometimes he goes round the bottle, looking up but pushing the bottle with his foot. (Sure Odin, you're going to throw your 30 grams and fell the bottle.). Do you think it's hormonal?
Old 03-09-2017, 11:11 PM   #7
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Thumbs up

I read that article and it told me nothing that I didn't know. I have learned most of what I know about parrotlets from this forum. What I like about this forum is that it is a great teaching tool in which a lot of information is given from experiences! You can't beat experiences because they are proven facts. Experiences are not scientific facts. They are pure!

I have solved, or should I say, we have solved all the problems that my Bogie has experienced these past few years. Bogie and his family have come through it all! I pride myself as a man who has been lucky enough to have some smarts. I get my smarts from the people I have associated with my entire life. I am nothing without other people and, of course, God.

Bogie has taught me many life's lessons, simply because I watch him like a hawk! When he is moody, he gets over it. He always does, so, if I get moody, I will get over it, too. I used to stay moody for a long time until I met Bogie. He taught me that it is okay to be moody, but don't carry it too far. There is always something to distract me from my moodiness. Bogie can be mad at me and bite me, then a second later, he runs up my arm and gives me a kiss an the cheek.

One day, he got mad at me and bit me. I said to him," Boo hoo. You hurt Daddy." (in my crying voice, which, by the way, surprised the heck out of my wife!) Bogie ran over to his treat dish and put a sunflower seed on my hand!. My wife couldn't believe what she saw. Bogie has given me a treat several times since then.

Our p'letts have problems just like their paronts. They will get through the problems. Just wait. You'll see.
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 02:28 AM   #8
myster_pda

I am sure he will, David, thank you. We just want to make it as easy as possible for the little monster. And for our ears, cause that's the main problem right now.
Old 04-07-2017, 10:47 AM   #9
myster_pda

Back from Life With Hormonal Odin.

Not sure if he's "period" is passing. He does seem a bit less aggressive.

I have two questions:

1. Is the "hand cave" to be avoided outside the hormonal period? What about touching on the back? We don't plan to peck him but he sometimes just likes to rest his back on my neck; and I'd also like to train him to play dead in my hand and the training steps involve back touching.

2. Sooner or later he starts wiggling his neck at any toy that is big enough and makes sounds. Am I supposed to take them away? It would mean to gradually deprive him of all room toys, as well as half of his cage toys.
Old 04-07-2017, 12:05 PM   #10
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by myster_pda View Post
Back from Life With Hormonal Odin.

Not sure if he's "period" is passing. He does seem a bit less aggressive.

I have two questions:

1. Is the "hand cave" to be avoided outside the hormonal period? What about touching on the back? We don't plan to peck him but he sometimes just likes to rest his back on my neck; and I'd also like to train him to play dead in my hand and the training steps involve back touching.

2. Sooner or later he starts wiggling his neck at any toy that is big enough and makes sounds. Am I supposed to take them away? It would mean to gradually deprive him of all room toys, as well as half of his cage toys.
1. for hens the hand cave is best to avoid at any time. That does not mean you cant do it from time to time. I do with Jules to keep her comfort level with my hands high but you do not want to do it a lot or for long. For a male you have more leeway since the egg thing is not an issue so all you get is a hormonal parrotlet.
The touching part has to do with petting mainly. Causal touching such as leaning against your neck should not be an issue. I think the best analogy is to view touching the back as sort of a secondary erogenous zone. It is not a big deal if and individual accidentally touches one of these areas. It is a different sort of thing a different person starts to caress these areas.

2. You only need to take a toy away if he fixates on it. Then you can lock it away for a couple of weeks and reintroduce it. The point is to break the fixation.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote