Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Breeding

Notices

Parrotlet Breeding If you're interested in breeding your parrotlets, this is the place for you!

Hen abandoned nest at 20 days

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 583 times.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:48 PM   #1
Jayro

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Jayro is on a distinguished road

Hen abandoned nest at 20 days

Hello everyone, we are new to this forum, and any help would be really appreciated!

We are now 20 days past the start of incubation for our parrotlet hen's second clutch (the first clutch had no hatches). This morning, our hen abandoned the nest and now shows no interest in it. She has spent the rest of the day climbing around and mating with the male. There are six eggs, all of which are fertile, and the older ones showed movement. One of them has done drawdown and may have done the internal pip. We started up our incubator and placed them in around an hour-ish after the hen left them, it has been 4 hrs now and I just turned and checked them. At least a couple of them are still moving.

So we had bought this incubator in case of emergency and that seems to have happened. However, we are totally new at this. We have read many different things, but so far, this is what we are doing: keeping humidity high ~80% for the hatching one, keeping the temp as close to 37.2 as possible, and turning the eggs 1/3 of the way every 4-6 hours, back and forth.

Someone please please please let us know if we are doing things right, and if not, what we need to do differently. Thank you very much!

Eric and Heather

Last edited by Jayro; 01-05-2017 at 12:21 AM..
Jayro is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2017, 07:55 PM   #2
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

I am not a breeder have not attempted the journey you are embarking on so all I can do is give you my best wishes and welcome you to this site.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 07:59 PM   #3
Jayro

Thanks for the encouragement; we'll let you know what happens.

*Update on the result of this situation: So we ended up doing a few things. We wanted to keep our birds interested in the nest, because they are ultimately better at incubating than us. We tried to do this by putting the fake eggs into her nest which we had been originally advised to make as birth control. Around 6 hours later the hen went in and chose three to sit on, rejecting the other two. Once she had settled back in, we swapped the three fake eggs for three real ones from our incubator (two of which showed movement). We were left with three, the oldest of which died due to malposition, and the other two we incubated ourselves for a day, then placed back under her one at a time. Whew, she has been quite dedicated to them since, leaving only to defecate. We'll see if any of these hatch, and if she is willing to raise them. We found a breeder through a local pet store who would be happy to raise them from day one, so we'll keep an eye on her.

Last edited by Jayro; 01-05-2017 at 01:21 AM.. Reason: added update

Old 01-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #4
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Wow sounds like you really took care of that situation! I would have no idea, sorry our few breeders on the forum did not catch your post. Good luck with the babies, maybe you can update us with some pictures!

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:13 PM   #5
Jayro

Thanks Mrs.Jpg, here's a pic of Tsi-tsi, previously Egg#2!

His/her story is quite long, as there were more events, but momma bird is now successfully looking after him. He is chirping loudly, and when I checked on him, he was strong and had a rounded crop. Now, I will give the parrotlet family some space. She is young, and perhaps was also feeling discouraged by the loss of her first clutch. Poor bird, all of this human interference must have been very confusing, but it would have been so sad for her to lose more eggs!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg newbirdie.jpg (105.4 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-06-2017, 07:26 PM   #6
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Yay for baby bird! He is a cute little "pterodactyl." Hopefully his mommy just was taking a breather and is now back on track with her mothering, since at that age mom and dad are the best care givers. I don't know anything about breeding except what I hear from breeders, but I know that parrotlets are tiny baby birds and hard to deal with. Good luck, and keep us informed! Hopefully a breeder will appear to give you advice, but they are often busy with their flocks and make infrequent appearances.

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 07:58 PM   #7
Jayro

Thanks Rubydoo252! Ya, we've been told the same thing, so we did everything we could to have the parents look after it. I think I can leave them alone now. Momma has also just become quite defensive which is positive; if the baby is a pterodactyl, then she must be a T-Rex!
Old 01-07-2017, 02:33 PM   #8
Malachi
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Welcome! I'm not a breeder, and so cannot give much input on the subject, but I'm very happy to hear things are turning around...sounds like you did a great job responding to the situation. That's awesome!
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #9
theteenygirl

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

I'm not a breeder - just following your story and had to say WOW I did NOT realize how tiny these little babies are when they hatch!!! Baby bird must be the size of a quarter!!!