Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health

Notices

Your Parrotlet's Health You may ask any questions about your parrotlet's health in this forum.

Parrotlet Declining Health

This thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 869 times.

Old 02-01-2017, 03:49 PM   #11
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Well this is great news, at least great progress! I'm so sorry you went through all that. I hope she continues to get better and your other little one stays healthy.
Thanks for the updates

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2017, 01:07 PM   #12
PetiteJadie

PetiteJadie is on a distinguished road

Thanks! I spoke with the vet she has been seeing last night. He clarified some of this thinking. This morning Jadie wasn't eating and was all puffed up. I decided to take her to the emergency avian vet in the city. They are keeping her for the day. Poor girl... I hope she pulls through this.
PetiteJadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2017, 08:48 PM   #13
PetiteJadie

Here is Jadie in the oxygen tank at the emergency vet! She spent the whole day there hanging out. In the afternoon they did an ultrasound and were hoping (and kinda not hoping) to be able to use the ultrasound to extract fluid from the organ that was causing the problems. Unfortunately it looks like it's the liver, which apparently is too challenging to get to for a biopsy.

And yet at the same time this is clarifying.

Jadie is showing nodules/lesions/nods on her liver. This could be cancer, benign tumors, or infection. She is back on the antibiotic injections and pain meds.

Ultimately, there may be nothing we can do and i'll come to terms with that when the time comes. But in the meantime I am glad we are back on path that she was responding well to before. And I hope she does better on the pain meds.

I'm learning so much through all of this! I'm glad I went for a second opinion. It didn't provide direct answers, but the different vet had different technology that was able to clarify a few things. I still wish they had sent the fluid in her abdomen from November to a lab... and the theory about the uterus could still be a factor with the Lupron effectively suppressing it.

But the fact of the matter is her liver isn't right. And she was still showing signs of distress. Hopefully this route eliminates some of that.

Old 02-04-2017, 12:24 AM   #14
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

This must be so hard. It's so wonderful your doing all you possibly can. She's really lucky to have you.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Old 04-09-2017, 09:06 AM   #15
PetiteJadie

Hey everyone.

I have a sad update on little Jadie. Last night at about 8pm, Jadie died. I noticed that her appetite was weak on Thursday. So I took her for her injection Friday evening and snuck in a visit to the vet. She was dehydrated and gained weight in fluids. The gave her the weekly antibiotic and some fluids to hydrate her. Then they went to drain some of the fluid in her abdomen but it was bloody. This pointed to cancer that had spread to her spleen.

I took her home that night, she was so tired. She woke up chipper yesterday and we had a wonderful, special day hanging out together. I made it as special for her as I could with her favorite snacks and lots of head scratches and tlc. But I know she was in pain, she was not chirpy and a bit despondent, not eating enough and her little body was just tired.

I didn't want her last day to be a bad day, and as much as I didn't want to admit it, I knew it was time. I took her to the vet clinic and she was such a joy even to the last moment, dutifully shredding bits of paper and making her last little happy chirps. They usually sedate and then give a drug in the wing vein that stops the heart. But she was so ready, she passed away with the sedation.

I've cried and cried. I had adopted her as soon as she was ready from a wonderful breeder and she has been mine all mine since 2008. I've shared a picture from her first hatch day. Now my house seems so still and quiet.

I have a lineolated parakeet as well, Luella. They weren't bonded, but I know we both feel a void. Poor sweet Jadie.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_8251_1491743007296.JPG (70.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_8254_1491743079784.jpg (84.2 KB, 15 views)

Last edited by PetiteJadie; 04-09-2017 at 09:08 AM..
Old 04-09-2017, 11:42 PM   #16
David Miller

Parrotlets Owned: one

David Miller has a spectacular aura aboutDavid Miller has a spectacular aura about

Thumbs up

She couldn't have had a better, loving, paront as you. You gave her a lot of extra time and she was worth it! May she rest in peace. My Bogie was hatched in 2008! It makes me wonder!

David and Bogie
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2017, 01:30 AM   #17
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

I'm so sad with you, and I'm so sorry. She had the BEST care and the longest life with you they she could ever had had. I hope you can find some peace in knowing that you could not have done any more and that the only life she ever knew was to be loved and cared for. Everybirdy deserves that but not all recieve it. She did, because of you. RIP sweet little Jadie girl.
Huggs

Old 04-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #18
PetiteJadie

Thank you everyone for your kind words and replies. I thought I had five more hours, five more days, five more months, five more years. I wanted that. And her spirit was there-her happy big spirit was there till the very end. Even the vet on Friday said she was full of "spunk". It was just her little body gave out.

My house feels so quiet and empty without her chirping and swinging.

Please give all of your fids a little extra tlc for me I honor of Jade.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:37 PM   #19
Chuck

Parrotlets Owned: One
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Chuck will become famous soon enough

We are so sorry to hear of this news. Blessings and Peace to you.
Old 04-12-2017, 02:43 PM   #20
Malachi
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

Just saw you post...I'm very sorry to hear of your loss! I recall the silence and emptiness in house following the loss of animal friends...not an easy thing. My thoughts are with you.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote