Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk > Do It Yourself

Notices

Do It Yourself If you want to build your own parrotlet toys, cage, or any other parrotlet-related projects, talk about it here for ideas and help.

The Easiest Foraging Toy

This thread has 8 replies and has been viewed 1244 times.

Old 11-21-2016, 11:11 AM   #1
theteenygirl

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

theteenygirl is on a distinguished road

The Easiest Foraging Toy

So, I was at a craft store outlet this weekend picking up some yarn with my mum. As we were checking out, I noticed they had party decor. I picked up a bag of crinkle paper for 65 cents (I think it's to put in gift baskets?) and paper cupcake cups ($1.65) and now have the easiest and cheapest foraging toy for Levi.

So far I have put crumbled nutriberry and pellets in it and he has been entertained for HOURS! I have enough materials to last the year, if not more!

I am thinking of making a two or three-tiered hanging one for his cage too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20161120_202015.jpg (92.2 KB, 65 views)
Advertisement

Old 11-21-2016, 01:47 PM   #2
lindav

lindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the roughlindav is a jewel in the rough

Great idea------you are so clever to think of Levi at shopping moments---cheap toys are the best.
The newest toy for Ollie is a slinky last week. He hates it and runs from it----so scared. It has different colored plastic spirals that I put near his cage. Heaven forbid if I put it IN his cage-----he goes to the top of his cage while slinky hangs out on top of a chair in the kitchen. It will take a long time before he knows what to do with it. I'll have to work with him to get used to it. So much for trying something new.
Old 11-21-2016, 03:37 PM   #3
theteenygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindav View Post
Great idea------you are so clever to think of Levi at shopping moments---cheap toys are the best.
The newest toy for Ollie is a slinky last week. He hates it and runs from it----so scared. It has different colored plastic spirals that I put near his cage. Heaven forbid if I put it IN his cage-----he goes to the top of his cage while slinky hangs out on top of a chair in the kitchen. It will take a long time before he knows what to do with it. I'll have to work with him to get used to it. So much for trying something new.
I've seen slinkies in cages before and it's so cute when they run inside them! I have one but it's metal and I don't want to give it to him. Besides, I know for a fact Levi would be like Ollie... run awaaaaay!

Old 11-23-2016, 07:57 AM   #4
Rubydoo252
Super Moderator

Rubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to beholdRubydoo252 is a splendid one to behold

Tumi will go in his slinkie without fail if I put a tissue in it. I use his obsession to my advantage whenever I can.
The muffin cup looks like messy fun!!!!

Tumi and his mommy Dana

Rubydoo252 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 08:24 AM   #5
JessicaAleigha

Parrotlets Owned: 3

JessicaAleigha is on a distinguished road

Awesome! I love his little fluffy behind sticking out. They sell this stuff instead of tissue paper here so I'll have to give this a try. I really love the tiered hanging idea. It would look like a stack of cupcakes!
JessicaAleigha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
rizzie5022

rizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura aboutrizzie5022 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by theteenygirl View Post
So, I was at a craft store outlet this weekend picking up some yarn with my mum. As we were checking out, I noticed they had party decor. I picked up a bag of crinkle paper for 65 cents (I think it's to put in gift baskets?) and paper cupcake cups ($1.65) and now have the easiest and cheapest foraging toy for Levi.

So far I have put crumbled nutriberry and pellets in it and he has been entertained for HOURS! I have enough materials to last the year, if not more!

I am thinking of making a two or three-tiered hanging one for his cage too.
Great idea, I have not noticed Huey being big on foraging, he is more of a shredder, but I have the stuff in house so why not ive it a try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindav View Post
I have a plastic one that is white. I dont notice Huey playing in it but I have seen him run through it. He runs throught it once a day lol. When I uncover him in the am and he is on his perch I look into the slinky and if I can see him I say peekaboo then I look outside and he moves his head. It is a fun little game we paly.
Old 02-15-2017, 09:59 PM   #7
sanguinaria

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

Oh my goodness, how CUTE! I hope my baby takes up an interest in foraging!
sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #8
theteenygirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanguinaria View Post
Oh my goodness, how CUTE! I hope my baby takes up an interest in foraging!
I've discovered that Levi's favourite activity (besides preening of course) is foraging. On his play stand I will crumble even just half a nutriberry on the bottom of his stand (it's like a tray) and sprinkle crinkle paper over it and he can entertain himself for hours just foraging around for bits. I think it's really healthy for their mental health. Our 20+ year old lovebird never took to toys, but spends almost all day foraging for millet and I think that's why he has lived so long!
Old 02-18-2017, 02:39 AM   #9
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

That is the best picture!! How fun!!

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote