Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Harness troubles

This thread has 13 replies and has been viewed 1030 times.

Old 01-03-2017, 12:32 AM   #11
JessicaAleigha

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

JessicaAleigha is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.JP3 View Post
I'm curious about something. When your bird is on the harness, and they try to fly, what happens when they reach the end? Do they just kind of hold back, or is it awkward and abrupt? Do they just learn not to fly off?
They make leashes (meant for bands -boo) that have a coiled part so that if they fly it's more of a bungee and less abrupt. I've always changed out the simple tether for one of these. They also have the benefit of a soft exterior with a metal core that can't be chewed through.
JessicaAleigha is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2017, 07:17 AM   #12
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaAleigha View Post
They make leashes (meant for bands -boo) that have a coiled part so that if they fly it's more of a bungee and less abrupt. I've always changed out the simple tether for one of these. They also have the benefit of a soft exterior with a metal core that can't be chewed through.
Huh, I would be interested just to see one, where have you seen them?

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 03:49 PM   #13
mmmiu

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

mmmiu is on a distinguished road

It's getting warm outside and i would love to take Bernie out for walks on my shoulder instead of inside a travel cage...(plus i like having the option of him being about to take him in and out of the travel cage on a harness)
I've seen so many different reviews on the aviator, mini wings and flight suit..mini wings looks the best in terms of sizing, but what about long term use? Has anyone's parrotlet chewed enough that they've almost broken free or wriggled out?

Old 04-11-2017, 10:43 PM   #14
sanguinaria

sanguinaria is on a distinguished road

We have both a petite flightsuit and a Leather4Feathers leather harness. Tihota is a little too skinny for either of them to fit perfectly, but he isn't able to fall or wiggle out of either of them and if Bernie is more of an "average" parrotlet girthwise you should be fine.

I personally prefer the look and construction of the leather harness and Tihota minds wearing it less (lighter, less bulky), but I really like the diaper aspect of the flightsuit! With whatever you choose, it's important to acclimate the bird to the harness before even trying it on him and then once it's on, you need to train him not to chew it. They're determined little gnawers and I bet they could chew through anything given enough time and opportunity, so it's best to not allow it at all!

sanguinaria is offline   Reply With Quote