Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk > Do It Yourself

Notices

Do It Yourself If you want to build your own parrotlet toys, cage, or any other parrotlet-related projects, talk about it here for ideas and help.

Homemade Perches

? regarding washer use

This thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 1417 times.

Old 05-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #11
Strix.nebulosa

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

Strix.nebulosa is on a distinguished road

Here is the best image I could get showing it attached to the cage. They seem to hold for a few days and then get loose, especially if he lands on the end of the branch. Some of them seem to stay better than others. Do the store bought ones come glued to the washer, or does it all come apart?

Last edited by Strix.nebulosa; 05-02-2016 at 11:28 AM..
Strix.nebulosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-01-2016, 08:40 PM   #12
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix.nebulosa View Post
Here is the best image I could get showing it attached to the cage. They seem to hold for a few days and then get loose, especially if he lands on the end of the branch. Some of them seem to stay better than others. Do the store bought ones come glued to the washer, or does it all come apart?
The picture isn't showing for me.

As for my perches, a few are glued, but most are just hanger bolts that are screwed in. For the most part, mine are pretty good. A few will loosen over time, but I think it's more the winged nut slowly loosening.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:30 AM   #13
Strix.nebulosa

Hopefully the picture is fixed now. I took out the problem perches yesterday and re-glued the screw in the one. The grapevine perch wouldn't budge though so I don't think a loose screw is the problem at all. I suppose it could be the wing nut loosening off, but its happening rather quickly even though its the exact right size for the screw. I did go and look for some hanger bolts, but they were all to big not to mention zinc plated! Its hard to find any of the hardware you need for birds at a reasonable price in Canada.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 PM   #14
TheBeans

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

TheBeans has a spectacular aura aboutTheBeans has a spectacular aura about

I've made two perches, because Daisy's travel cage is a weird size and there are no perches that fit it. So, I bought some natural, untreated doweling and measured the length I'd need and cut them down to size. Then, I lightly penciled a straight line across each end of the dowel (just so I would be able to make consistently straight notches) and then with a small hand hacksaw I just sawed into the end. When I was done sawing to the depth needed, I started again, just a little bit next to the one I had just cut and when I got done then I took a flat-head screwdriver and just sort of chiseled out the little bit of wood in the cuts.

It worked really well but I confess that it did take me one practice dowel to get the width of the notching just right. The first time I tried it I made the notch too wide and it wouldn't stay snug on the bars no matter what I tried. It's better to start too small and slowly take away....you can't start big and put back!

Daisy & Wendy
TheBeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 10:15 PM   #15
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

Ahhh, I see it now! It's the angle of your perch. I have one that does the same thing. Every time they land on the end, they're literally unscrewing it for you. Try cutting the perch end a different angle (so the perch doesn't angle away so much) and that should help. I don't have this kind of problem if there are branches that balance the other end more.
Old 05-02-2016, 11:32 PM   #16
Strix.nebulosa

Yeah, that makes sense. The grape vine goes off at an angle too. Maybe if I just angle it in such a way that it doesn't unscrew it... I'll have to have a loot tomorrow and see what I can do without totally decimating the perches because of the angle they grew at!
Old 05-03-2016, 02:23 PM   #17
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

I meant cut the perch at a different angle, so that the branch sits more straight on the screw than angled... does that make sense?
Old 05-03-2016, 09:25 PM   #18
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx n Noodle View Post
I meant cut the perch at a different angle, so that the branch sits more straight on the screw than angled... does that make sense?
Makes sense to me. I have some handmade perches (that I bought lol) and if the end that attaches to the cage is not straight I end up having turn the perch and reposition it to lay flush with the washer.
I have to say, this sounds like so much work. I don't really like Pet store perches much, so I understand just feeling limited. I'll post some links to some good perches I have if it may help.

RIZZIE: HAHAHAHA!!! Your comment was funny!!
Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 09:32 PM   #19
Strix.nebulosa

Yeah it makes sense.
Old 05-03-2016, 09:46 PM   #20
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00061...hardwood+perch
I like this a lot, it was a little thicker than I anticipated but still fine and they make different sizes. You might be able to find it in a store, here in the US I think they have them. It's natural wood.

Do you have any of these rope perches? They are awesome.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00025...ViL&ref=plSrch

I have purchased from these shops before and had great experiences, they may ship outside of US.

https://www.etsy.com/shop/Perches4Ch...eader-shopname

https://www.etsy.com/shop/HappyWings...eader-shopname

https://www.etsy.com/listing/184408784
Melody won't eat or bathe from this, but when I put it on top of the cage sticking straight up she loves to sit in the circle. Lol

Sorry I'm not a whole lot of help. But maybe u get some good ideas at least if you make stuff.
Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote