Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk > Parrotlet Housing

Notices

Parrotlet Housing Discuss parrotlet housing here.

Which cage to use for parrotlets?

Trying to decide between two cages I own.

This thread has 11 replies and has been viewed 2266 times.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:34 AM   #1
Lore

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

Lore is on a distinguished road

Which cage to use for parrotlets?

Hey everyone!

So, in a few weeks I will be the proud owner of my first male pacific parrotlet babies! (still deciding on one or two, but will stick with two in this thread) Before that, I need to decide on what kind of cage to house them in, so I can get it all ready before they're old enough to come home with me.

I have two cages, and am not sure which one I should pick, but hopefully you can help me out!
[EDIT: I plan to let them fly around the room for at least one hour a day, but of course longer if possible]

The first cage's measurements are 60*95*50cm/23,6*37,4*19,7in (height*width*depth). Brand is unknown.
It's got a high, plastic base. This would make it pretty much impossible to throw the cage lining out of the cage. Unfortunately it's high enough to also completely hide the parrotlets if they're sitting on the ground if I would keep it on the cabinet I used to have it on. (I could easily get a different one, though) Another downside is that it has vertical bars rather than horizontal ones, so climbing would probably be harder in this cage.
Upside is that the cage is longer than high, and I read on some websites that that's better because it allows the birds to fly further within the cage.

The other cage's measurements are 160*65*46cm/63*25,6*18,1in (height*width*depth). It's a Ferplast Aria with a large door installed at the front of the top half, in stead of the small one that was originally there.
The cage has horizontal bars, which makes it easy to climb up and down the height of the cage. Another upside is that, because of the height of the cage, I could possibly devide it in two smaller ones (but maybe too small for keeping one parrotlet?) if necessary.
It has quite a lot less 'space' for flying though, and I would have to store the food and things elsewhere (easily fixable) because it stands on the floor on wheels. Another downside is that it has a tapered roof in stead of bars on the top. Hanging stuff from the top of the cage isn't really an option.

So, thoughts? Advice?
Are these cages usable at all, or should I consider buying a different one? I could find pictures of both cages if that's helpful.

Last edited by Lore; 04-19-2016 at 01:03 AM..
Lore is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-16-2016, 11:28 AM   #2
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

The largest cage you can afford is great so that they can fly and play. Also wider than taller but I have a tall cage. A flight cage and my guy uses every single inch of his cage. His balls are on the bottom and his swing and slinkie on top. Fly space through the middle.

This was his baby cage 20 x 20 x 20 inches

This is his adult cage 30 x 21 1/2 x 53 inches

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 11:54 AM   #3
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Bar spacing is a key thing. Space between bars should be about 1/2 inch or 1.25 cm.

Bar orientation does not seem to be much of a issue for a healthy bird. My Jules likes vertical bars since she just slides down them.

Wider is better than height. Birds tend to go high so the taller a cage is the less the bottom may be used but the width is almost always utilized.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.

Last edited by ozzie3860; 04-16-2016 at 11:57 AM..
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-16-2016, 01:32 PM   #4
Lore

The cages both have spacing that should be right for them to climb!

I've found some pictures of the cages I currently own.

This is the 'broader than high' cage of which I don't know the brand.
(I used it as a rat cage, hence the platforms in there)

And this is the Ferplast Aria. (Not my picture but I have the same one.)

Last edited by Lore; 04-18-2016 at 04:57 AM..
Old 04-17-2016, 06:58 PM   #5
parrotletzoo

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

parrotletzoo has a spectacular aura aboutparrotletzoo has a spectacular aura aboutparrotletzoo has a spectacular aura about

http://www.amazon.com/Parakeet-Cocka...ight+bird+cagehttp://www.amazon.com/Parakeet-Cocka...ight+bird+cage

each of my birds have this style cage. I love them. They're easy to clean and I like the storage space underneath for their travel cages and extra supplies.

Green Bean and Nym snuggling after a bath.

Before there was man, the parrot ruled the world. Now man rules the world and the parrot has not forgiven - Native American Proverb
parrotletzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2016, 07:51 PM   #6
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

The second picture one (can't see number one) I don't like at all. It's too wide and narrow and like you said, you won't be able to hang toys from the top at all.
Here's what I notice from the cage I have....
Melody spends most if not all of her time on the top half.
She dosent care or have problem climbing both vertical and horizontal bars.
I have food cups that can filled from the outside. (Love this.)
Also as mentioned, the bar spacing is important. I love the cage that Parrotletzoo posted. In fact another member I know just got that cage and she loves it. I'm considering the same one for my Bourke.
I don't really mind that Melody can't fly much back and forth in her cage. She flys up and down from toys and hopps and swings and jumps alot. And she flys plenty when she's out.
This is mine. It's jam packed with toys. You will want different size perches, some ropes, swings, bells, and lots of us have plastic slinkys.
Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 04:55 AM   #7
Lore

Thanks for the replies everyone!
I take it bar spacing is important so they don't get their head stuck between the bars or things like that, right?

I re-uploaded the image of the other cage. I must have accidentally deleted it.
Anyway this is the other cage:
It's probably not the best picture but the only one I can currently find... Gives you a general idea at least?
I believe the bottles haning off the side of it are 300ml ones or somewhere around that, if that helps ^^;

I agree that the high, 'thin' cage is probably not the best option with birds preferring to fly high up on things.

Let me know if the other cage would be suitable! If not, what dimensions would you suggest I keep in mind when deciding what cage to buy??

Last edited by Lore; 04-18-2016 at 05:01 AM..
Old 04-18-2016, 06:11 PM   #8
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Water bottles are not a good option as they can have trouble getting to the water. A water dish is better and inside the cage especially when they are little. The smallest cage is 50.8 x 50.8 x 50.8 cms which is equivalent to 20 x 20 x 20 for one bird.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:23 PM   #9
ozzie3860
Super Moderator

ozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to beholdozzie3860 is a splendid one to behold

Some of your cage size question depends on how much out of cage / free flight time you are allowing. Jules main/night cage is 18in tall X 36in wide X 18in deep. Her day/travel cage is 20in X 20in X 20in. But when we are home she is out with us more than not so she gets at least 1 and usually many more hours of out of cage time a day. So she has plenty of time for expanded exercise, play and socialization, so her smaller cage sizes are not a big deal. If you can not do much out of cage time then larger cages are required.
Resistance was futile, they are just that cute.
ozzie3860 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 01:02 AM   #10
Lore

Ozzie, thanks for the examples. I think at least one hour daily of free flying time should be very much possible. I heard they are pretty good at learning to come fly back to their owners/cage so as long as I am in the room, he'd be free to fly around, as far as I'm concearned

Leanne, thanks! The picture is from when rats were kept in the cage. I simply thought they might bea good indication of the size of the cage. it is currently stored and folded up, hence why I don't have any better pictures at the moment. If I were to keep parrotlets in it in the future, I would make sure to get dishes for the food and water, and of course I would need perches, too.

Tags
cages, male, pacific parrotlet