Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Talk > Parrotlet Housing

Notices

Parrotlet Housing Discuss parrotlet housing here.

Kaytee Super Petz Acrylic Bow Front Cage

This thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 2436 times.

Old 10-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #11
Tracey

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Tracey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn View Post
birds should never be kept in a round cage.
Why?

Not trying to start a debate.... I do not and have not kept a bird in a round cage and have no intention of housing Lacy in a round cage.

PLUS I've never seen any birds in my local Parrot shop in round cages which to me is an obvious indicator they are not suitable.

I'm just curious as to the reasoning.
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2015, 02:17 PM   #12
Dixie-1

Dixie-1 is just really niceDixie-1 is just really niceDixie-1 is just really niceDixie-1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
Why?

Not trying to start a debate.... I do not and have not kept a bird in a round cage and have no intention of housing Lacy in a round cage.

PLUS I've never seen any birds in my local Parrot shop in round cages which to me is an obvious indicator they are not suitable.

I'm just curious as to the reasoning.
Hi Tracey , hope this will answer your question .

Question: Are Round Cages Really Bad for Birds?
Answer:
Round cages are not recommended for most bird species, for a variety of reasons.

The first reason that these cages can be bad news is because they can be detrimental to a parrot's psychological health. Birds are very intelligent creatures, but many have driven themselves crazy climbing around and around cylindrical cages, and feeling like they're never getting anywhere.

Giving a bird an angular cage provides them with reference points to different locations in their territories -- thus helping them feel confident, safe, and secure.

Another reason to avoid round cages is because they are often awkward living spaces for a bird to inhabit. They very way that they are shaped causes many bird's feathers to be in constant contact with the cage bars, wearing them down and giving the bird a ragged appearance.

Round cages can also be difficult to maintain. Because most bird cages are now square or rectangular in shape, it can be hard to find certain accessories that will fit round cages -- like cuttlebone and millet holders, seed cups, and cage liners. For this reason, it may be easier on both you and your pet to opt for a square or rectangular cage. By doing so, you can provide your pet with a comfortable home, and provide yourself with a cage that is easy to keep clean and well stocked with fun accessories.
Dixie-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 02:35 PM   #13
Evelyn
Super Moderator

Evelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of lightEvelyn is a glorious beacon of light

Well Dixie answered that for me. Yes to all she has stated.
Evelyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-2015, 06:18 PM   #14
Malachi
Super Moderator

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Malachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to beholdMalachi is a splendid one to behold

I wholeheartedly agree with what everyone has shared...though a pretty cage for sure, I wouldn't put any of my birds in it...it seems like a nice, artistic idea, but impractical. I find that all of my birds love to come to the front of the cage to visit with me, and to let me know when they want to come out, so they often hang and play on the bars on the front. This seems good to me.
Malachi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #15
Tracey

Tracey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evelyn View Post
Well Dixie answered that for me.
And provided an excellent response indeed - Thank You Dixie!
Tracey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #16
Dixie-1

Dixie-1 is just really niceDixie-1 is just really niceDixie-1 is just really niceDixie-1 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracey View Post
Thank You Dixie!
You are most welcome .
Dixie-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 02:03 PM   #17
CuriousCreatures

CuriousCreatures is on a distinguished road

I'm fascinated by cages that look out of the ordinary (and let's face it, there isn't much of that available for birds), and recently managed to win one of these (long discontinued) cages on auction. I have not moved my parrotlet to it yet, but I can share my thoughts on it so far.

Firstly, these cages are NOT round. The acrylic door is bowed as the name suggests, but it is most definitely rectangular. And though it is taller than it is wide, it is also much deeper than the average tall cage, and so not as impractical as some have suggested. I have the 'small' size and the bar spacing is fine for a parrotlet - the larger sizes have wider spacing though. With regards to the lifespan of the acrylic, Super Pet claims that it is resistant to discolouration and deterioration. I can't speak for my own experience yet, but this cage had been housing a much larger parrot for a good while before I bought it, and the door is still in perfect condition. I never attach any accessories to the front of Olive's current cage, so the acrylic door is not a hindrance to me in that respect, but as to how Olive feels about it, I'll let you know!
CuriousCreatures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 06:02 AM   #18
Lore

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

Lore is on a distinguished road

Seeing as how Marvel flew into a window last week.... I'd say having an acrylic front in stead of bars wouldn't be ideal for birds... They can't see the window, so they think they can fly through it. For ne personally, risk of injury because of that is too great.

As for plants in cages: having them should be fine, as long as they are safe for the birds in case they do eat them. Really, it's the same as for using natural branches for perches! A plant cab serve as a living perch more or less, and I can see a parrotlet happily exploring that Be prepared to have to replace it though, in case you have birdies that like to shred stuff
Lore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 12:45 PM   #19
CuriousCreatures

CuriousCreatures is on a distinguished road

Well I guess like most things it depends on the p'let's personality. If you've got a bird with a habit of flying into windows then fair enough, not a good cage choice. But I keep my button quails in a terrarium and haven't had any problems with them running into the glass. And quails are pretty low on intelligence compared to a parrotlet. I mean Olive did fly into a window once, but she certainly hasn't done it again since!

CuriousCreatures is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 01:17 AM   #20
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousCreatures View Post
Well I guess like most things it depends on the p'let's personality. If you've got a bird with a habit of flying into windows then fair enough, not a good cage choice. But I keep my button quails in a terrarium and haven't had any problems with them running into the glass. And quails are pretty low on intelligence compared to a parrotlet. I mean Olive did fly into a window once, but she certainly hasn't done it again since!
I just caught up in this.... I think it looks interesting. Maybe you could post a picture just so we can see your setup.
Good comments on all the pros and cons, it is unique.

I think our Birds must have different hangups, possible? Melody has never flown into a window and only a mirror twice before she figured it out. Even in a strange place if we go on a trip, she knows what a window is and turns right around. Smart girl.

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is offline   Reply With Quote