Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

Shauna's Mash diet - Basic Outline

This thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 10306 times.

Old 01-14-2012, 08:13 PM   #11
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

I get hull-less barley. Not sure if barley flakes is good or not, maybe somebody else will know. I usually find mine in regular grocery stores. Otherwise you may want to try the feed store (for like horses and other large animals) or look online.

As for not having access to variety, that should be okay, may get boring. But you can always spice it up with something else. Sometimes I mix up a large batch and just flavor it differently... one day it may be Italian spices and then another day it may just be paprika...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
Autaven

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Autaven is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx n Noodle View Post
I get hull-less barley. Not sure if barley flakes is good or not, maybe somebody else will know. I usually find mine in regular grocery stores. Otherwise you may want to try the feed store (for like horses and other large animals) or look online.

As for not having access to variety, that should be okay, may get boring. But you can always spice it up with something else. Sometimes I mix up a large batch and just flavor it differently... one day it may be Italian spices and then another day it may just be paprika...
Thank you! I never even thought about checking out feed stores we have loads around here - will give them a try. I'll also have a look next time I'm food shopping just incase they are sold, I just presumed as I hadn't seen them before.
Maybe once I've started looking I'll find more things which will give variety, just seems so complicated when you're clueless!
Autaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2012, 10:21 PM   #13
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autaven View Post
Thank you! I never even thought about checking out feed stores we have loads around here - will give them a try. I'll also have a look next time I'm food shopping just incase they are sold, I just presumed as I hadn't seen them before.
Maybe once I've started looking I'll find more things which will give variety, just seems so complicated when you're clueless!

LOL, I know exactly what you mean. I didn't know that my regular grocery stores carried most of the stuff that I was looking for. Sometimes you have to ask where they hide stuff. But I find most of my stuff in the baking aisle... where they sell flour and that kind of stuff.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:43 PM   #14
Chickharmony

Chickharmony is on a distinguished road

How much do you mix at a time and how do you keep it from spoiling?
Chickharmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 08:00 PM   #15
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickharmony View Post
How much do you mix at a time and how do you keep it from spoiling?
You can freeze it in portions (use an old ice cube tray) or 24 cupcake tin to freeze the portions and then take out from the freezer and serve.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 12:20 PM   #16
veneri

veneri is on a distinguished road

are all the nutrients covered with this diet?
i think it will lack vitaminde D, B12 and calcium?

calcium can be added to the diet by cuttlebone, but what about vitamine B12 and vitamine D, especially when you can not take you parrotlets outside for some sunlight?

i really like the variety of the diet, but i'm not sure it will cover everything they need.

do you also have to feed a seedmix?
and when feeding lots of fresh veggies and fruits, do you only feed organic veggies and fruit? i'm a bit concerned about the pesticides on it....
veneri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 04:00 PM   #17
jeannepp
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 2

jeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to alljeannepp is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by veneri View Post
are all the nutrients covered with this diet?
i think it will lack vitaminde D, B12 and calcium?

calcium can be added to the diet by cuttlebone, but what about vitamine B12 and vitamine D, especially when you can not take you parrotlets outside for some sunlight?

i really like the variety of the diet, but i'm not sure it will cover everything they need.

do you also have to feed a seedmix?
and when feeding lots of fresh veggies and fruits, do you only feed organic veggies and fruit? i'm a bit concerned about the pesticides on it....
Most of us feed this along with pellets and seeds. Yes, I try to use organic for myself as well as my birds. 60/40 ration of pellets to seed and then the mash.

Oliver May 11, 2013
Charlie August 18, 2013
Chloe June 21, 2014

Baby aka Napoleon 2011 - 2013
jeannepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2014, 10:05 PM   #18
nerdybird

Parrotlets Owned: 1

nerdybird is on a distinguished road

Hi all, I'm trying to get my new parrotlet to eat fresh foods. I made her a mash, used some basics to start with but I plan on doing a better mix eventually. I started with Kale, carrot, barley ( I think- some organic grain from the bin at whole foods!) and black bean. I cooked it all and blended it with a little water. the grains are still pretty chunky, and the mix overall is fairly clumpy.

She definitely likes it, she tries to eat it, but it seems like most of it falls out of her beak. Do they get better at eating this stuff? Or should I blend it with more water until it's more liquid/pasty?
nerdybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #19
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

It varies bird to bird, you can try blending it more and see if she'll eat it better. My guys tend to like it pretty finely chopped, otherwise they pick out their favorites more.