Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

Shauna's Mash diet - Basic Outline

This thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 10321 times.

Old 07-16-2009, 11:55 AM   #1
chapala

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

chapala is on a distinguished road

Shauna's Mash diet - Basic Outline

I wrote this and posted it on Feeding Feathers - am putting here also for those of you are interested. I think it makes the concept of Shauna's Mash diet a little easier to grasp, and may encourage more people to try a fresh foods diet!

Shauna’s Mash Diet – Basic Outline

Shauna’s Mash is a fresh, whole foods diet for parrots that can be made in an amount for one bird or for larger flocks by using the proportions given below. It consists of:

Grains and legumes, two parts grains to one part legumes for complementary amino acids resulting in complete protein. Two parts grains to one part legumes = 50% of the diet.

Fresh mixed vegetables, 40 to 45% of the diet.

Fruit, 5 to 10% of the diet.

Natural Supplements: Kelp, Green supplement (organic powdered alfalfa, wheat grass or barley grass and/ or Veggie Magma brand supplement), Essential Fatty Acids (fresh dated and refrigerated flax seed oil, or fresh ground flax seed for Omega 3 fatty acids). If needed for extra protein, hemp protein powder a few days a week.

Example: 2/3 cups grains, 1/3 cup legumes = 1 cup grains and legumes;
7/8 cup ( cup plus 2 Tbs.) fresh vegetables, about 2 Tbs. fresh fruit = 1 cup fresh food.
This combination with the supplements is the basis for Shauna's Mash diet, half grains/legumes, half fresh food.

Ingredients and preparation:
GRAINS Choose at least four different kinds from these whole grains: millet, quinoa, whole oats, hulless barley (not pearl), spelt, kamut, wheat berries, amaranth, raw buckwheat, brown rice, wild rice. Grains can be either soaked and sprouted, or soaked and cooked. It’s easy to prepare a mix, keep in an air-tight jar, and scoop out what’s needed for sprouting or cooking. Soak overnight and sprout until the tips of white roots are just visible – both grain and legume sprouts will keep well refrigerated for several days (check other articles for complete sprouting instructions). Or soak and cook the grains – they can be frozen in two or three day portion sizes along with cooked legumes as the base for the Mash.

LEGUMES: Choose two to four kinds from ONLY these recommended varieties for easier digestibility: mung, adzuki, whole lentil, whole sprouting pea, garbanzo. Soak overnight and either fully sprout to “ tails (exception lentils can have ” tails) or cook (boil 10 minutes, then cover and simmer for 20 minutes).

VEGETABLES, organic when possible. Choose five or more kinds of vegetables. One or more Orange (carrot, winter squash including pumpkin, acorn, butternut, sweet potato, red pepper though peppers fed only a maximum of three times a week), two or more Dark Leafy Greens (kale, dandelion greens, mustard greens, collard, turnip greens, and occasionally beet greens, Swiss chard or spinach), Other vegetables (broccoli, arugula, dark leaf lettuce, peas, zucchini, red or green cabbage, bok choy, carrot tops, chayote, green beans, tomato, cactus leaf, okra, cauliflower, radish, corn, beet root, jicama.). All vegetables should be run through a food processor or very finely minced to avoid picking out favorites.

FRUIT: Choose two to three daily (papaya, mango, cantaloupe or other melon, strawberry, blueberry, blackberry, raspberry, pomegranate, kiwi, orange, nectarine, cherry, apricot, grapefruit, banana, pear, apple, fig, pineapple, lemon, lime).

SEEDS and NUTS: Depending on the bird and species, you can add small amount of seed, preferably sprouted and nuts for certain species (sunflower, pumpkin seed, sesame seed , nuts).

SUPPLEMENTS: Kelp (very minute amounts but important for iodine, for a medium sized parrot, 400 to 500 grams, the amount that would fit on the tip of a pencil, or 1/10 of tsp.). Green supplements (organic powdered alfalfa, wheat grass or barley grass as natural multi-vitamin/mineral supplements), small pinch daily, about 1/16th tsp. (1/4 of tsp.) for medium sized parrot.
EFA’s a little less than 1/8 tsp. Flax seed oil for 500 gram parrot, tsp. for 1,000 grams. Or, fresh ground flax seed, tsp. per 250 grams parrot. As an alternate, cold pressed, dated and refrigerated hemp oil also can be given in the same amounts as flax seed oil.
Protein powder (optional for extra protein) – small pinch of hemp protein powder per bird a few days a week.

OPTIONAL additions: You can occasionally add to the Mash: a bit of broken organic whole grain pasta, fresh wheat grass clippings, cooked egg (1/4 to tsp per bird one to two times per week) non-fat organic yogurt especially Stonyfield Farm’s yogurt with vitamin D3 added (1/4 to tsp. per bird once or twice a week), sprouted grain bread crumbs, small piece of finely minced or food processed up to 3 to 5 times per week, dash of seasoning such as cinnamon, cayenne (not for birds with liver problems), fresh grated or minced ginger, turmeric. Squirt of organic ACV (apple cider vinegar) if desired, tsp for 250 gram parrot, tsp for 500 gram, etc. Organic unrefined red palm oil up to 1/8 tsp. for birds 250 to 500 grams, tsp for birds up to 1,000 grams – if red palm oil is fed, it should be alternated with flax seed oil, not both given together..

Pellets
People who are feeding Shauna’s Mash diet can offer up to 20% of the diet in a natural colored pellet that contains vitamin D3 supplementation. Artificially flavored and colored “fruit” pellets are not recommended, nor are pellets that do not contain vitamin D3.

Give Shauna's Mash a try! It only sounds complicated at first – once you've prepared it a couple of times, it becomes routine and easy, and it's a healthy, whole foods diet for your parrots.

July 16, 2009

Last edited by Evelyn; 05-26-2012 at 06:58 PM.. Reason: Removed Garlic, it will make birds sick.
chapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #2
Midori

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Midori is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Midori
Thanks for the list! I'm looking to start Midori up on Mash within the next month or so (I want to have her settle in a bit more before changing her diet to such an extent) so I know I'll be using this sticky in future - and quite often!

Small question though - I'm on a tight budget & since I am the only one in the house eatting fruit & veg on a daily basis I can afford fresh for everything (It'll spoil before I can eat it all) how "bad" would it be to use some frozen fruit & veg mixed in with fresh? I keep mostly frozen for myself & love it, I find it has very little difference in taste and most actually have no preservatives in them or other chemicals. I know freezing can remove some of the nutricious value of the foods but if it is blended in with fresh as well does it make such a difference where I should avoid doing this?

(a student budget sucks btw, I'm still used to having a full time job & money to spare -sigh- hopefully once school is over with & I graduate I'll have a better job in the end! ...if not I'll feel like crap graduating @ nearly 30yo without a leg to stand on!)
Old 07-16-2009, 01:51 PM   #3
chapala

chapala is on a distinguished road

First preference is fresh vegetables, but when that's not possible, yes, do use frozen. What you have to watch for is the added sodium in many brands, so it does require reading labels and choosing the lowest sodium you can find. No added salt is even better.
chapala is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-10-2011, 09:16 PM   #4
seharley

seharley is on a distinguished road

This is a fantastic list of stuff! I have been feeding Quinn, my Pionus, a diet of 80% Harrison's pellets and 20% fresh stuff (mainly uncooked veggies like broccoli and carrots; some cooked legume mix, and fruits like strawberries, melon, blueberries, mango, etc). He is doing very well -- maybe too well?? -- he's not starving, let me put it that way. He LOVES food. But Bogart is a picky picky picky little guy. And I'm thinking that a mash might be the way to get him to eat something besides seeds (which, plus dried fruit, are pretty much all he picks out of his current pellet mix). I've found a lot of the grains, and I have a good legume mix; where I hurt is the fresh veggies. I can't seem to find a store that sells a lot of organic stuff. Kroger is hit or miss, but the best shot for me. I have no Whole Foods, and the little health food store has very little, unfortunately. So my concern is that Boo won't get a balanced diet. I have some frozen organic veggies, but most seem to be the starchy kind (corn, peas, etc). Is this a good start, or should I wait until I can find a better variety of veggies before I attempt the mash?
Old 09-10-2011, 09:58 PM   #5
BeakerLuvsBunsen

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

BeakerLuvsBunsen is on a distinguished road

Reta left the forum a while back, instead of frozen or steam in bag veggies I do
The sulfate free dehydrated kind you can get them from whole foods/ trader joes/ mrs greens/ dr foster and smith

The company is called just tomatoes but the have lots of varieties.
Mine loooove the peas, corn, strawberries and soy nuts.

BeakerLuvsBunsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 10:01 AM   #6
seharley

seharley is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeakerLuvsBunsen View Post
Reta left the forum a while back, instead of frozen or steam in bag veggies I do
The sulfate free dehydrated kind you can get them from whole foods/ trader joes/ mrs greens/ dr foster and smith

The company is called just tomatoes but the have lots of varieties.
Mine loooove the peas, corn, strawberries and soy nuts.

Thanks very much! I will look for these.
Old 10-09-2011, 01:00 PM   #7
Julie

Julie is on a distinguished road

Send a message via Yahoo to Julie
Hi,
Is the sulfate free dehydrated food as nutritional as the frozen and fresh?

Julie
Julie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 10:03 PM   #8
iamomeed

iamomeed is on a distinguished road

Hi,

Are we supposed to blend all this together?

Also what is the serving size for one parrotlet? How many times a day?
iamomeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 07:49 PM   #9
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

Yes, I blend it all together. I usually give my birds 1-2tbsp of the mash and only once a day
Old 01-14-2012, 10:58 AM   #10
Autaven

Autaven is on a distinguished road

I am really interested in starting this diet for my Parrotlet - only issue is that I'm unsure of where to buy these things in the UK. I have found our health store sells Oats, Millet Flakes and Barley Flakes. This along with brown and wild rice, would this be enough for the grain portion as it says you need a mixture of 3? Is it okay not to change these around as I can't seem to find someone who stocks any of the rest? Is the Millet and barley flakes the correct thing I'm looking for?

In terms of legumes, I think I can find sprouting peas (though I'm unsure exactly what they are, do I have to buy a certain type of peas to sprout?) and also lentils would be fine as well. Is this enough?

I'm sure I have a lot more questions and I hope I've posted it in the right place. I have a bird who currently is on fresh fruit and veg along with a millet sprig and some seed sprinkled in and she's just picking out the seed so I really want to change her diet. Sorry if this is all common sense!
Autaven is offline   Reply With Quote