Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Faster Bonding, Less Stress

This thread has 112 replies and has been viewed 42810 times.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:46 PM   #21
LovelySydney

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

LovelySydney is on a distinguished road

Im starting this method with Oliver. ALthough he was hand tame and step up trained when I got him, I think he became overwhelmed too soon. With being in a new home, away from clutch mates and everything familiar, I may have forced bonding and taming on him too quickly. I started with the millet today in his cage. It took him nearly 20 minutes to walk over to it but when he finally got there he ate it up. I can tell this is going to be a process but it will be worth it Im sure.
Advertisement

Old 05-22-2009, 01:51 PM   #22
Eikoden

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Eikoden is on a distinguished road

I have done the same thing as you, Sydney. When I get them home I'm just so excited to feed, love, skritch, and care for them that sometimes I've gone slightly too fast. Luckily, all of my birds have bounced back without problem.
Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #23
GRANNYAT50

Parrotlets Owned: 2

GRANNYAT50 is on a distinguished road

i am so excited, for the first time since i got my parrotlet i put some millet in my hand and he stepped onto my hand to eat the millet. i have had him for two weeks and he was so scared he went crazy if i tried to get him out of the cage....i had to catch him and then he would let me pet him. he is getting tamer. he is chattering like crazy right now.
GRANNYAT50 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2009, 04:43 PM   #24
chapala

chapala is on a distinguished road

Great! Millet spray does work wonders taming these little birds. I used it for my never handled Budgie too, and he was tame within two weeks. All postiive, no forcing results in a better bond with the bird.
chapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 03:08 AM   #25
Midori

Midori is on a distinguished road

Send a message via MSN to Midori
Found an article that has a variation of the millet training on it. I'm going to try it with Midori since she still has yet to step up on my hand after 3wks of training. Figure it might help out anyone else that seems to have trouble!

http://goodbirdinc.blogspot.com/2009...tep-up_28.html
Old 08-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #26
Caboose

Caboose is on a distinguished road

Hey all! I brought Caboose home last thrusday, so I guess a week ago. He was pretty hand tamed but I'm afraid I've ruined him. I took him out the 1st day (he was climbing all over my hands while i was putting the water dish in) so i assumed me wanted to come out. So i took him out had him step up a few times and he then flew (into a wall). The breeder said his wings were clipped :S and they look clipped. He's done it twice more and is now afraid to come out of his cage. He won't step up anymore either. He eats out of my hand and let's me pet him. I had him out yesterday but instead of flying into a wall he jumped into his cage the first chance he got. I try to take him out everymorning (when he's too tired to fly :P) and cup my hand over him against my chest and talk to him while feeding him millet. Do you think this will make it worse or better. I'm going away for a week and im afraid he's going to be less tame when I get back. I have a friend taking care of him but I asked him not to take him abnout because I'm terrified of Caboose breaking his neck .
^___^ I just bought him a cozy little hanging house thing (takes up a big corner of the cage) I hope he goes in it ^^ it looks so warm and cozy!!! AND I FOUND A CIRCLE SWING >< he went on it as soon as I put it in his cage (excitment). Also if he's making noises that arn't chirps after I say something that I say repetativly, is he trying to mimic me? He's only 4 weeks old, well 5 now ^___^ my baby's growing up!
Caboose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 03:35 PM   #27
Kasey

Kasey is on a distinguished road

Very nice videos! You can read this stuff in a book (or on a message board) but there is no substitute for seeing!

I like that the author stresses everything has to be by the bird's own free will, there is simply no way to force a bird to do something, they are very different from dogs (or people!) in that way.
Kasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:57 AM   #28
JHFcyclist

JHFcyclist is on a distinguished road

http://cagefreeparrot.blogspot.com/

This is an awesome source of info in terms of training a parrot with positive reinforcement. The women behind it has owned birds for something like 30 years I believe. she helped me alot with my budgie.
JHFcyclist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 02:47 AM   #29
Tahmpahl

Tahmpahl is on a distinguished road

Red face New Parrotlet

The night before last, I was going to the pet store, and fell in love with this parrotlet (Sugar). The night I brought her home, I set her home up with lots of nice toys, and brought her out of her box to try and get used to me a bit before I put her in her new home.

I found that she is quite the bitter! It took a while, but soon I got her calmed down, and I was talking to her, and rubbing the back of her head.

I was worried when I put her in her new home, because she looked a bit shocked. Since then, she has become more comfortable with her home. I finally sweet talked her into eating and drinking. ( I found the spot she felt safe in her cage, and moved her food there)

Now, Even leaving her door open, she will not leave her cage. Though she will come right up to me when I am talking to her, as soon as the door opens, she is on the opposite end of the cage.

I know I have only had her for 3 days now, but I guess I just want to make sure I am doing right by her.
What is the normal time range in which they become less shy? Any good tips? What about the biting situation? When she bits, she does not let go! I know that this is because she has not had somebody working with her...just want to make sure I am doing things the right way!

Oh, and she has started this grinding of her beak. Is that normal? Sounds painful to me!

I have read that they like fruit and veggies. Is there anything I should not feed her?

All and all, I take special time with her everyday, I talk to her every chance I get in a nice soft voice, and I feel like after she gets adjusted to me, and not some pet store, she will feel very welcomed and loved

I'm sure I will have a million questions in time... so I hope you guys do not get sick of me here I saw this message board searching for tips, and I felt like learning from people who have them is much better than just buying a book. (though not opposed to it if you know one worth buying) (parenting for dummies?)

Thanks a lot

Tom
Tahmpahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 09:22 AM   #30
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

I would just say patience. Go at the pace in which she is comfortable, her whole world changed in 3 days! Beak grinding is normal and means that they're happy.