Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Bonding and Training

Notices

Bonding and Training Want to train your parrotlet? Just want to bond with your parrotlet? Ask all your questions and suggestions here.

Faster Bonding, Less Stress

This thread has 112 replies and has been viewed 42808 times.

Old 04-26-2009, 09:20 AM   #11
chapala

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

chapala is on a distinguished road

Give him time. He needs to start feeling secure and safe at your house before you can expect much. Clip some millet in there next to a perch, and as soon as you see he's eating it and learning how delicious it is, then you can start using it for training treats.
chapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #12
KatiesMom

Experience: Parrotlet Lover

KatiesMom is on a distinguished road

Chapala is right- and you've only had your little one for three days! Millet is kinda like "Pringles" chips for birds, they can't eat just one!

My Parrotlet came home at about 8 1/2 weeks, and the day I bought her, she was still in her brooder, and I had to wait three days before I could bring her home because they wanted to transition her to a cage, and make sure she was eating seed. I was fortunate to buy Katie from a pet store that also breeds their Parrotlets and they say they spend at least one to two hours a day holding the babies, so when I brought Katie home, she was very used to people, and she is always eager to come out of her cage, but some of these little guys don't get that one-on-one time with humans.

I'm chuckling right now because here I am typing, and Katie is on her play gym, which is full of fun toys and things to do, but she's whining at me because she'd rather sit on my shoulder, which always ends up in her repelling down my shirt to get to the keyboard so she can stand on the keys and be a general nuisance!
KatiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2009, 08:09 AM   #13
weewings

weewings is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the links! We recently had a 14 month old parrotlet come into our household that has not been handled. We'll try this method with him and let everyone know how it works.
weewings is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-29-2009, 08:54 AM   #14
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

I've been using a similar method with Noodle and it's been working great. I got him to perch on my finger after 2 weeks! But we've seem to have plateaued because he's still scared of my moving fingers and still doesn't like it when my hand approaches him.

Here I thought Noodle was just really smart! (not that he isn't). The only other thing that I do is limit the amount of food he gets to make sure he's a bit hungry for the millet. When I'm done training for the day, he gets his evening meal.
Old 04-30-2009, 10:04 PM   #15
Eikoden

Eikoden is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebird View Post
my p'let wont even eat the millet i left in his cage.. he only eat his seeds in the dish. today is his third day in my apt..
Take your time. He/she may not want to eat in front of you, and will need time to settle.

Have you seen seed husks on the floor of the cage? This indicates she/he has been eating when you are not around.
Eikoden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2009, 10:05 PM   #16
Eikoden

Remember, this can take a while. With P'lets, as with any bird, there is no "insta fix", nor any "easy" solution. Keep at it, and you will all do well.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:15 AM   #17
Ladyred

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Ladyred is on a distinguished road

Send a message via AIM to Ladyred
Thumbs up 2 Thumbs up, Eikoden

Eikoden, thank you for posting those video's. I couldn't get Sweet Pea to get on my hand but I could get her to eat out of my hand, by using this method for 2 days she now steps up and when I try to put her back on her parch she climbs up my arm. She more than happy to stay on me now. I was so excited about it. Now it's time to work with Kiwi.
Ladyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2009, 05:49 PM   #18
Eikoden

Thank you, Ladyred!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyred View Post
Eikoden, thank you for posting those video's. I couldn't get Sweet Pea to get on my hand but I could get her to eat out of my hand, by using this method for 2 days she now steps up and when I try to put her back on her parch she climbs up my arm. She more than happy to stay on me now. I was so excited about it. Now it's time to work with Kiwi.
Congratulations! It's always great to hear the method is working for someone other than me.

I'm glad your baby believes good things come from your arm, and can now associate you with a wonderful, food-filled time. Keep working!

Good luck with Kiwi! I'll bet he/she has been watching jealously, wondering why she/he didn't get a chance at the millet-arm. Just you wait, more good things are to come!
Old 05-20-2009, 12:50 AM   #19

25k is on a distinguished road

loved the video thanks for sharing.
25k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2009, 09:04 AM   #20
chapala

chapala is on a distinguished road

I want to add my experience with the new Budgie, Sax. Within two weeks of coming home, straight out of a large aviary and never handled, he is eating out of my hand, flying to my shoulder, arm, hand, leg (when sitting). All with millet reinforcement, never forcing, and going at his speed. For about a week, progress seemed at a sort of standstill - he would eat from my hand, and I could walk with him, but still had to encourage the first step onto my hand and wait until he was ready. All of a sudden, he decided I'm his friend! He is flighted also, and I want to keep him flighted so tried the taming without clipping. No problem!
chapala is offline   Reply With Quote