Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Notices

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

Top 10 Pet Bird Hazards

This thread has 16 replies and has been viewed 2468 times.

Old 05-18-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
UnrepentantMaverick

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

UnrepentantMaverick has a spectacular aura aboutUnrepentantMaverick has a spectacular aura aboutUnrepentantMaverick has a spectacular aura about

How does the chair close? Is it the kind where if you pull the lever very slowly, it would just sort of gently push him out, or would that still risk crushing him?
UnrepentantMaverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2014, 02:34 PM   #12
sometimes24

Parrotlets Owned: 1

sometimes24 is just really nicesometimes24 is just really nicesometimes24 is just really nicesometimes24 is just really nice

Hmmm.. that would be a freaky situation! Maybe have a stick with you and you can kind of try to get him to stand on it or push him away. I doubt he'll pay attention to it (unless you do then he'll probably get curious). You can also put millet near the chair so that if he ever does go there throw the millet next to him and he'll move willingly - then again, trust a parrotlet to do any of the things expected of it
Old 05-18-2014, 02:54 PM   #13
JustAParrotlet

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

JustAParrotlet has a spectacular aura aboutJustAParrotlet has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrepentantMaverick View Post
How does the chair close? Is it the kind where if you pull the lever very slowly, it would just sort of gently push him out, or would that still risk crushing him?
I can close it down slowly. My main thing is to try to never let him get in there in the first place but I"m going to try to have a back up plan. I even thought of keeping a plastic bag to rattle by the chair. Any other suggestions would be appreciated!
JustAParrotlet is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-2014, 07:33 AM   #14
mawahr

Parrotlets Owned: 5

mawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura about

I've never had a problem as my birds were fully feathered and they stayed up higher. There was a member who had that accident some time back so it's a valid concern.

Kiwi and Molly
Gone but not forgotten...
Pee Wee, Miss Peanut, Sweet Pea and Mr Peanut
mawahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2014, 07:42 AM   #15
Jinx n Noodle
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Jinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really niceJinx n Noodle is just really nice

Hmmmm, can you get a big chair cover that will cover the whole recliner? That way it at least covers the openings of the recliner when fully open?
Old 04-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #16
Amber

Amber is on a distinguished road

I got so worried last night about hidden dangers I had an idea and went on Amazon and got a largish net fronted pop up tent! It folds up to a very flat thing when not in use but when I want some play time and training with Pickle we can go in our tent, though for coolness reasons from now on it's going to be known as Fort Feathers!

Oh another danger to look out for that wasn't on this list is rodent wee. I keep guinea pigs and so wanted to make sure that all my babies would be safe before I got Pickle and was advised not to let him near their habitator toys because rodent urine is toxic to birds. Whether that's just rats and mice which are ominvours I don't know, but we're not taking that chance so my pigs talk to Pickle quite happily 'over the fence' but they're not inviting him over for any cocktail parties
Old 04-29-2016, 01:50 PM   #17
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAParrotlet View Post
You know what I keep worrying about (and I don't even have my boy yet) my recliner. I sit in a recliner all the time (back surgeries) and I am so fearful my baby is going to go under the chair and how am I going to get him out? I can't close it to get up and I can't get out of the chair with the foot up..I was evening thinking about getting one of those fake owls and seeing if it would fit under the chair to scare him out...I'm hoping he doesn't pay any attention to the black hole under the chair but I am concerned.

I can just see me having to call 911 from my chair and having the door busted in by the cops to get my baby out from under the chair so I can get up.
Are you getting another Parrotlet? How is Bogie? Too big to worry about the recliner I guess. What about folding up a towel and stuffing it under there? Or getting a thick piece of foam, that you put underneath and then when the chair moves it will squish?
Breaking the door down...Haha that made me laugh!

"In his hand is the life of every creature, and the breath of all mankind." Job 12:10

Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote