Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

Parrotlet Diet

This thread has 82 replies and has been viewed 21833 times.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:05 PM   #21
musicjan

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

musicjan is on a distinguished road

Ok - got it! The next thing I want to do is get some flax seed. I so appreciate all of your good information you've shared - and your bringing it together in the "sticky" on the forum. I've worked with Bitsy's diet for months, and I think he's doing really well over all. Even though I process his food in the small food processor, the little stinker still picks around the dark leafy greens. At least I know I'm doing all I can. Once again, Reta, thanks!
musicjan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2009, 03:11 PM   #22
BirdyBirdyBirdy

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

BirdyBirdyBirdy is on a distinguished road

What does everyone sprout and where do you purchase it? I want to try sprouting but don't know where to even begin. I looked in the grocery store for some mung beans and couldn't find any... would beans from the store be good to use? I saw some lentils there, and was thinking about trying with them.

Where do you buy seeds for sprouting? Can I sprout the seeds from his seed mix I already have?

Also, what precautions do you take to avoid mold? I guess what I need is a lesson on sprouting for dummies. lol Any help would be appreciated.

This site makes it seem like an all day process.
http://www.landofvos.com/articles/sprouts.html

This site makes it seem easy.
http://www.ittybittybirdiebites.com/sprouts.html
BirdyBirdyBirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 03:56 PM   #23
jodeg

jodeg is on a distinguished road

You might want to check out this website:
http://www.sproutpeople.com/

Sprout People has lots of good info about how to sprout, in addition to selling supplies. I buy the Lil' Bird Mix, which has a mixture of 26 kinds of organic seeds. My birds LOVE sprouts!

Parrots On The Porch is another good website for sprouts and food:
http://www.parrotsontheporch.com/cgi...uts&search=yes

It's very simple to do (really!), but it does take a couple of days to sprout. If you search this forum, I believe there are some threads about how to sprout seeds. Once the seeds are sprouted, they are very nutritious for your birds.

Good luck! Hope you give it a try!

Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 PM   #24
BirdyBirdyBirdy

BirdyBirdyBirdy is on a distinguished road

Thanks for your reply jodeg!

Those prices are a bit to steep for me at the momemt. I'm going to have to try and find something more affordable for now.

I did look through the forum. I now know what's good to sprout but am still a bit confused about the sprouting process. I've read to soak them overnight in a jar, and then in the morning rinse them well. I got that part... then what? Just leave them out of water in a strainer? I also read that they need to be rinsed frequently... how often would that be? What happens when I'm at work and am not home to rinse them?

Also, I saw on a few sites people saying they sprout using cookie sheets and damp paper towels. Is that safe if you rinse them often and would you have to change the paper towels often?

Everyone says itís so easy but it doesnít sound that way. Iím just worried Iíll do something wrong and they'll get mold or bacteria.
BirdyBirdyBirdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #25
chapala

chapala is on a distinguished road

I don't like to use a jar for sprouting because I think good air circulation is very important to avoid any problems with mold. I use just a simple strainer. After soaking overnight in a small bowl or cup, the grains (or legumes) are put into the strainer, rinsed and then just set the strainer over the bowl or cup, to catch the drips. Rinse a few times during the day, and the grains will be ready by the next morning. Legumes (only the recommended varieties) take a little longer because they need to have 1/2" tails before feeding (1/4" for lentils). I let the finished sprouts drain really well (not completely dry, but not dripping wet), then store in a covered container in the refrigerator, and they will keep fine for several days. I wouldn't use paper towels.
chapala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 10:54 PM   #26
jodeg

I rinse the seeds (usually a couple of tablespoons), put them in a small margarine cup with the lid on, and then soak them overnight in the refrigerator (they swell up a bit). Then I rinse them REAL well under running water. You can buy a sprouting kit, but to keep it real simple and less expensive, just get a small strainer and put the seeds in the strainer to rinse them.

After that, I LEAVE the seeds in the strainer and set the strainer on the kitchen counter hanging in that small margarine cup to catch the drips (not in direct sunlight). Then I rinse them every 2-3 hours during the day, still leaving them in the strainer. The idea is that the seeds don't dry out completely, just like you'd do if you were trying to get grass seed to grow in your yard.

After that first day, you may start to see the seeds open a little -- they don't all sprout, and they don't all sprout at the same time. Rinse them again before bed and leave them on the kitchen counter. The next morning, I rinse again and check to see how long the "tails" are. That's the sprouted part. If they are about 1/4" long, I'm done rinsing.

Then I usually spread them out on a paper towel to dry. After that, they should be kept in the fridge in a sealed contailer (like that margarine cup with a lid)

I've read that they are most nutritious when the tails are just about 1/4". When they get longer than that, they aren't as nutritious.

Since you work, it might be easier for you to do the rinsing part when you're off work. They usually sprout really fast too.

It may sound complicated, but once you try it, you'll see how easy it is -- really!

Hope this helps a little!
Old 02-24-2009, 10:55 PM   #27
jodeg

Opps! Looks like Reta and I were typing at the same time!
Old 02-25-2009, 02:00 AM   #28
raiven

raiven is on a distinguished road

Totally Organics has some seed mixes that can be fed dry, soaked or sprouted.

http://totallyorganics.com/products.php?cat=6

It will give you an idea what types of seeds can be soaked. I usually buy my grains/seeds at our local natural organic food store. They come in bulk bins and I just buy a couple of ounces or so of about six different ones.

The Totally Organics is a good product and not too expensive. Even just soaking a bit of the mix overnight and rinsing the next morning is good. In fact I give my birds their first feed from the rinsed overnight-soaked mix then continue to sprout the remainder. I too use a strainer over a bowl and cover it with a baggy laid over the top. The trick is to rinse them very well. Check the bottom of your strainer that it does not feel slimy. My mix rarely makes it to the fridge because I soak and sprout about enough to last three days only.

The legumes I sprout separately. Mung beans sprout very fast and once they get a half inch or so root on them I refrigerate them. I then use them in their veggie mix which I chop up in a small food processor. If you buy lentils at the grocery store just make sure they are the whole lentil not split.

Soaking is easy. You just have to make a routine of it and remember to rinse very well.
raiven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 02:28 PM   #29
StephGee

StephGee is on a distinguished road

I have a question:

Grains, 30% of the diet, soaked overnight and preferably sprouted, at least 4 different grains. The grains also can be cooked, combined with cooked legumes and frozen as a mash base in ice cube trays or small zip locks, depending on how many birds you are feeding. Millet, quinoa, oats (whole, not rolled or cut), hulless barley (not pearl), wheat berries, kamut, spelt, wild rice, brown rice, raw buckwheat.

Could the grains also be fed dry in a pinch? Like I forgot to soak them the night before, so every now and then he just gets them dry? Do any of those grains HAVE to be cooked? I bought everything you listed above from Whole Foods. Thanks!
StephGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2009, 05:43 PM   #30
chapala

chapala is on a distinguished road

Yes, grains can be fed dry as well. They do contain more fat in the dry form, just like seeds do, but fortunately far less fat than seeds have. If you want to feed a dry mix, I would lean towards the grains and away from seeds. The only grain you cannot give dry is amaranth because it contains a toxin in the dry state. It must be either cooked or soaked and sprouted.
chapala is offline   Reply With Quote