Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Notices

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

Do you have emergency plan?

This thread has 18 replies and has been viewed 1450 times.

Old 03-04-2014, 09:47 PM   #11
ginziputzi

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

ginziputzi is just really niceginziputzi is just really niceginziputzi is just really niceginziputzi is just really niceginziputzi is just really nice

This is brilliant. I am ashamed at myself for not having thought of an emergency evacuation plan before! I noted in that article that there was a photo of the bird with information inside a plastic sheet protector, taped to the bottom of the travel cage. I am going to do this with Kiwi's cage. As she travels in the car with me often, this would be useful, for example, if I was in an accident. Which also makes me think that I should keep an "emergency" bag in the car with some essentials - like a thermal blanket if the car breaks down when it is cold outside and food and water for Kiwi (and my dog) if we wound up stranded in the car like some travellers have been.

Wow - this is getting me thinking! I am also going to make some contingency plans with family and neighbours. There was a low rise apartment building a few blocks from where I live that had these two beautiful parrots often looking out the window. The low rise behind that building burned to the ground one night and i was terrified for the parrots wondering if they had suffered from the thick smoke. I have seen them since, so they are fine - but i thought even if there was a fire in the neighbourhood when I was at work, who could ensure Kiwi's safety? I think I will make plans.

Oh - and another thing i do when I am away - i make sure to advise the vet in the event Kiwi needs medical care. I have been with them long enough now that they do not worry about me being good for the money, but I make sure they are authorized to do whatever is necessary in the circumstances and to bill me for it. In the case of my dog, she swallowed a chicken bone when I was away - and a big one (that is a long story) - and my daughter brought her to the vet and they ended up extracting it by lassoing it and bringing it up the same way it went down (she was sedated, obviously). But because they had my authorization, they knew that they could just handle the situation.

Sorry - long post - but i think a very worthwhile discussion!

Kiwi and Jackie
Forever in our Hearts - Tango, Daisy, Po and Mickey

ginziputzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2014, 07:13 AM   #12
mawahr

Parrotlets Owned: 5

mawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura about

Wow, that's a bad one for your poor little dog! Thank God the vet would do the work right away! The traveling in the car is a concern, we did this all the time with peewee.

Kiwi and Molly
Gone but not forgotten...
Pee Wee, Miss Peanut, Sweet Pea and Mr Peanut
mawahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 09:18 AM   #13
M'éanín's Mommy

Parrotlets Owned: 8
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

M'éanín's Mommy has a spectacular aura aboutM'éanín's Mommy has a spectacular aura aboutM'éanín's Mommy has a spectacular aura about

Yea, most people don't like to discuss the "what if's" in life. It's the same with my patients when I talk to them about advance directives, POA's, resuscitation orders etc...no one wants to think about those things, but it's usually to late once you get to that point, always best to know up front how to react and to be prepared. I have window decals too that show location of animals within the home, that way if there is local event emergency respondents will know there are pets inside.

Pancakes, M'éanín, Skrill, Cinnamon and Chestnut.
Avatar Marthanóir & M'éanín (other wise known as M&M or the "blue psychos") with Síocháin (The Green Goblin) chowing down on dinner.
M&M currently making Mini M&M's
M'éanín's Mommy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-05-2014, 11:45 AM   #14
mawahr

mawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura aboutmawahr has a spectacular aura about

Wow, you are prepared!

Kiwi and Molly
Old 03-05-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
ginziputzi

ginziputzi is just really niceginziputzi is just really niceginziputzi is just really niceginziputzi is just really niceginziputzi is just really nice

Well, it is a tough subject - in North American culture anyway. I think this is why we refer to the sandwich generation - dealing with kids and aging parents. Neither is prepared to deal with it because no one thinks about it .. And yet it will happen to us too. It wouldn't feel like a sandwich of we opened up about it. It would just be natural - which, by the way, it is. That does not mean easy either, but not so shocking.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kiwi and Jackie

Old 03-05-2014, 06:47 PM   #16
mawahr

I'm in that sandwich situation. My mother is still alive, bless her 84 year old heart! She isn't very demanding but when my dad was alive it fell to the children to take care of him as my mother is limited to a mobility cart. Then I have my grandchildren who I watch several days a week. Between that and trying to work a little I have my hands plenty full! Oh, did I mention I also have a husband who doesn't know how to dish up his own ice cream?

Kiwi and Molly
Old 03-05-2014, 08:58 PM   #17
ginziputzi

LOL! You are like a club sandwich, Molly!! So where does dear Kiwi fit into all this as, I note, you are definitely focused on his needs as well! Is there a quad-decker sandwich?

Kiwi and Jackie

Old 03-05-2014, 09:26 PM   #18
mawahr

Lol, he fits in there between the grandchildren and the husband although the hubbie would probably disagree and say the bird comes first!

Kiwi and Molly
Old 03-06-2014, 08:23 AM   #19
ginziputzi

And he maaaaaay be right ...! I think my husband accepts his diminished spot in the flock! Haha!

Sent from Petguide.com Free App

Kiwi and Jackie