Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

Ethoxyquin

Posted By Buuzbee

This thread has 21 replies and has been viewed 11330 times.

Old 02-27-2008, 01:18 PM   #1
catfish

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

catfish is on a distinguished road

Ethoxyquin

I found this post by one of our members on another forum, talkbudgies, and on my hamser forum. It's talking about ethoxyquin. I know with hermit crabs we avoid this along with copper sulfate because they are also used in pesticides and have caused deformed hermit crabs to appear after moltings. Some are severe enough to cause death.

We also now try to avoid it in hamster food because it is thought to cause an increase in cancer and the early death of hamster....

So now when I go bird food shopping, I'm going to avoid foods with ethoxyquin for my birds....it's just not worth the risk.

I can't believe I never thought about it. Why would I feed my birds this chemical if I wouldn't feed it to my hamster or my hermit crabs?!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

There was a considerable amount of discussion regarding ethoxyquin as a preservative in bird diets on CAGTAG-L back in March of this year. I have gathered a lot of material on ethoxyquin, but just haven't had the time to go through it all and to come up with some conclusions regarding its safety or otherwise.

Ethoxyquin is not used as a preservative for HUMAN foods with the following exception: . It is permitted to "promote colour retention" in paprika and ground chili pepper in a maximum concentration of 100 ppm.

The maximum allowable residue in eggs, meat, poultry, apples, pears, poultry fat and livers for HUMAN use is 0.5 ppm.

In ANIMAL feeds, the maximum allowable concentration of ethoxyquin is 150 ppm.

Lafebers provided me with information on the concentration of ethoxyquin in their avian products and it is less considerably less than 150 ppm. Neither Kaytee nor Roudybush responded to my letters requesting information on the concentrations of ethoxyquin in their products.

So what are the potential concerns regarding ethoxyquin? This chemical is not innocuous as has been suggested. Attached is part of an earlier post of mine in response to a question regarding the safety of ethoxyquin for birds:

"Interesting question. I was not familiar with the ethoxyquin controversy. However after quickly perusing the toxicity data (abstracts) there may be reason for concern. The acute oral LD 50 of ethoxyquin in rats is 800 mg/kg and in mice it is 1730 mg/kg.

Its chronic toxicity in animals is reported as "apparently low."
Chronic feeding studies in rats of 0.2 % of ethoxyquin in the diet caused transient depression in growth rate, At necropsy, damage to kidneys, liver and thyroid gland were seen in many of the male rats but not in the females.
In another study, diets containing 0.5 % ethoxyquin fed to rats for up to 18 months, produced renal lesions in all of the study animals.
Continuous administration to rats fed a diet of 0.2 % ethoxyquin, caused tumors in some of the animals according to one study.
Toxicity in chicks was "significantly greater when the diet was low in protein." (Details of this study were not given).
The above abstracts suggest that long-term exposure ito this chemical in our birds is a reason for concern."

As I have mentioned, I do not have the information together in order to offer you guidance as to whether you should use ethoxyquin-preserved avian diets or not. You will have to decide what you feel most comfortable with. There are good diets available that contain no preservatives and others that contain preservatives that have been approved for human use. Ethoxyquin has not been approved as a preservative for human use.

http://theaviary.com/ethoxy.shtml
http://www.alanwood.net/pesticides/ethoxyquin.html

Roudybush contains Ethylenediamine Dihydriodide.

Ethylenediamine dihydriodide (EDDI) is a salt of ethylene diamine and hydrogen iodide. It is used as a pet food additive and cattle feed additive to prevent iodine deficiency. It has high bioavailability. It is a colorless to light yellow crystalline powder. Its chemical formula is C2H6N2.2HI. Its CAS number is [5700-49-2]. It is nonflammable, but iodine may be released during a fire. It is soluble in water.

In cattle, administration of EDDI has preventive effects on foot rot. [1]

Other iodine supplements in animal feed are calcium iodate (most stable) and potassium iodide (most water-soluble, least stable). EDDI is restricted to GRAS as a nutrient source of iodine only. FDA suggests a limit of intake to 50 mg/head/day. [2]

EDDI may react with sulfates and release free iodine.
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 05:06 PM   #2
BeakerLuvsBunsen

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

BeakerLuvsBunsen is on a distinguished road

I've heard of the dangers of this chemical before (ethoxyquin), I don't buy Kaytee
products because I noticed many of them contain it...
(oat groats however... do not) strange but true

BeakerLuvsBunsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 05:15 PM   #3
Pado

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Pado is on a distinguished road

I'll be checking ingredients for ethoxyquin tonight -
Pado is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 05:22 PM   #4
catfish

I just bought some pellets the other week from Kaytee because all the birds were snubbing zupreem. So it looks like I'll be throwing this out (there goes $15) and buying some zupreem and trying the apple juice trick in the morning. My birds actually are more willing to eat Kaytee than zupreem, i find the pellets in the water all the time w/ my quakers (they like to dunk their food). Oh well... i don't want to give them anything like this.
Old 02-28-2008, 01:59 PM   #5
Kathy

Kathy is on a distinguished road

You'd be surprised at how many pet foods contain ethoxyquin -- it's quite scary. Lots of fish food contain it, too.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
SweetPeasMom

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

SweetPeasMom is on a distinguished road

EEEEKKKKK I threw the bag out that contained ethoxyquin, I bought zupreem fruit pellets, and then I mixed with seed mixture and put in larger airtight container. Are you saying that zupreem does not have ethoxyquin???

Last edited by catfish; 03-02-2008 at 12:44 AM.. Reason: to clarify post due to merge
SweetPeasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 09:22 PM   #7
catfish

zupreem is okay, don't worry
Old 02-29-2008, 11:43 PM   #8
SweetPeasMom

Parrotlets Owned: 3
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

SweetPeasMom is on a distinguished road

thanks catfish, just one more thing to have to worry about...
SweetPeasMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 12:13 AM   #9
catfish

ha your welcome
Old 03-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
1mainer

1mainer is on a distinguished road

Thanks Catfish for such an informative article. I unfortunately have been using the KAYTEE brand, which has ethoxyquin. Needless to say I have already emptied out Jade's dish and replaced it with Sunscription vita+plus. Thanks again for posting the info.

*edit from Catfish- Thank Buuzbee. she originally posted it
1mainer is offline   Reply With Quote