Parrotlet Vet Listing

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Your Parrotlet's Health > Parrotlet Diet

Notices

Parrotlet Diet Discuss the diets of parrotlets here. Recipes can go here too.

What's Your Nutrition??

This thread has 80 replies and has been viewed 16355 times.

Old 02-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #1
Kumiko

Parrotlets Owned: 2
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

Kumiko is on a distinguished road

Lightbulb What's Your Nutrition??

Hey, I thought this would be an interesting thread, and I would think that it would help people with nutrition problems with their bird. It would help me a lot depending I am trying to get rid of Kiwi's stress bars.

Just post your feed schedule. What you do through out the day with your parrotlet. Measurements of seed, pellets, veggies and fruit, treats (beak appetit, etc.)? Feed-feed what? Tell all of us what you do on a normal basis with your bird.

(1conure, 2 parrotlets, 7 parakeets)
Kumiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2008, 11:52 PM   #2
Sally

Parrotlets Owned: one

Sally is on a distinguished road

I have many foods out like a buffet out all day. I change it twice. Chipper eats all day, she is so active. I do not measure anything. She eats different amounts of different things each day, just like me.

I put food in coconut swings and little foraging places as well as food dishes.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:44 AM   #3
raiven

Parrotlets Owned: 1

raiven is on a distinguished road

Well after her vet visit I was told by my vet that I was giving her too much carb and she should be on a pellet diet such as Harrison's with addded veggies such as kale or red peppers and some occasional fruit like blueberries. Well, I checked out the Harrison's and the main ingredient is corn. It does have important supplements so I am trying to do a little balance between real food and pellets for her. (The argument against the high carb diet was she would get all hormonal and lay eggs and we so do not want eggs. Noooo)

So I give her the pellets and just let her graze on those. In the morning when I get up I heat in the microwave a cube of premixed cooked brown rice, split peas, wheat germ and frozen mixed vegetables. I usually add a little raw veggie to the mix as well. That stays in her cage till I go to work and I replace it with some kale or chopped red peppers or brocolli florets, sprouts or something along that line. I work split shifts so when I get back around three I play with her a little and she may get a little treat of fresh veggies or a nibble of millet. At five when I go back to work I give her fresh chopped veggies again. She does not eat everything she is given but nibbles on everything. At night when I put her to bed I give her a nutraberry which she may or may not nibble on. I am thinking I may switch the nutraberry for a few pellets as they have added sugar. I am probably still giving her too much carb but at the same time I want to give her real food not just pellets. She has a little fruit from time to time but the only fruit she likes is mango or blueberries and then only if mixed with red peppers. I know!! She loves red peppers.

The cuttlebone issue: after reading that some parrots were biting off sharp shards from the back of them and cutting up their digestive tract I took mine out and the vet said it was okay, especially since the pellets add calcium to the diet.

I am glad Jo started this whole nutrion issue as I was going to ask about it as well.

Last edited by raiven; 02-27-2008 at 12:48 AM..
raiven is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-27-2008, 01:49 AM   #4
Wilder

Experience: Parrotlet Owner

Wilder is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by raiven View Post
Well after her vet visit I was told by my vet that I was giving her too much carb and she should be on a pellet diet such as Harrison's
All right, I have to ask -- what precisely does the vet think is in pellets? For the average brands, the answer is corn, soybeans, and wheat. Which... are all carbs?

(Well, all right, there's some protein in the soybeans, but you get the point.)

I'm sorry, but I find that absolutely ridiculous.

I'm with Sally on this -- Mira has access to fresh foods all day, and then a bit of pellets and a bit of seed. What she eats and how much of it varies depending on how active she is in a day, or whatever her mood is. But as she eats a wide variety, it balances out.

I've been thinking of doing away with pellets all together and just using the Harrison's birdie bread. Has much of the same ingredients, but my birds like birdie bread far more than pellets. I know the budgies would prefer it. Mira eats anything, bless her.
Wilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 02:08 AM   #5
catfish

catfish is on a distinguished road

the only thing I could think of is the pellets, even though still made of carbs, is going to formulated with the essential vitamins and minerals. Where the normal diet of seed and various foods can make it difficult to match the same amount of the vitamins and minerals found in pellets.

Who knows. I think that bird nutrition has come a long way, but more needs to be done. Pellets have their place in a diet, but I don't believe any vet will say it should be the sole source of nutrition.
Old 02-27-2008, 10:03 AM   #6
Wilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
Who knows. I think that bird nutrition has come a long way, but more needs to be done. Pellets have their place in a diet, but I don't believe any vet will say it should be the sole source of nutrition.
Mine did! When told what I feed Mira on a daily basis, she got on my case for feeding ANY seeds and said she'd be fine on Zupreem, with a "treat" of some veggies here and there. And this is a certified avian vet.

But I do agree, more does need to be done. And until then, the best we can do is do what we feel is best. And I do know that I wouldn't want to live every day by popping a vitamin supplement and eating nothing but cereal -- won't do that to my birds, either. Several of the Beak Appetit foods are fortified though, so that is helpful in assuring proper vitamin intake.

Oh, and Catfish -- I love that signature of your blue birdie's butt. It's so cute.
Old 02-27-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
Pado

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Pado is on a distinguished road

Most Vets tout a mostly Pellet diet - I've heard they do this because a lot of bird owners give their birds seed and thats about it - the more sinister being they get kickbacks from the Pellet companies. In the case of a seed only diet then yes, Pellets may be better for them nutritionally and vitamin wise
but for the person who is very conscious of a varied diet for their birds I just don't see it.

Harrison's recommend only Pellets and a little vegetable - Besides being boring this just doesn't sit well with me and I wouldn't consider this. As Wilder mentioned Monkey Biscuit and Sunflower Seed were once the "preferred" Parrot diet - When I was a kid I recall white bread soaked in tea and plain seed was all the rage for Budgerigars. I think now all the rage is Pellets.

The fact is nobody knows what is the best nutrition for captivate Parrots - Pellets have been on the market for such a short time - Parrots can live from 20 to 80 years of age and nobody knows the outcome of a mostly Pellet'ed diet for this length of time ... again ... how BORING for the bird to live that long eating the same thing, with the same taste and texture. Thats borderline cruelty in my book

I have to say I'm on the varied diet bandwagon and let the birds decide how much to eat. Like Sally my birds are offered a smorgage-board of foods and they don't sit and just eat the Millet - If birds are raised being offered all this different foods they will eat all the different foods. Mine will go for their favorites first so those are more limited ... example the light Sunflower Seed ... but eat all they do. When I let mine out first thing in the morning as their food is being prepared ... Harrison's is the only food available and they eat that.

I offer my birds two different seed mixtures: Lately their meal consists of.
All Unmeasured -

- A cockatiel mix (no sunflower)
- A small Hook-bill mix (I will leave in some of the light colored sunflower type seed - not sure what they're called)
- Harrison's Bird Bread
- Harrison's Pellets
- Millet (not every day)
- Plain Oatmeal - Dry and Cooked - (the cooked is only offered in the morning, its what I eat everyday and they get a spoonful)
- Vegetables (Daily: Raw Vegetables, Broccoli, Carrots, Peas, Sugar snap Peas in the pods,
- Fruit (not everyday) - Apple, Strawberry, Banana - others when I have them available but these are the staple
- Beak Appetit
- Whatever healthy human food is for dinner.
- Nuts (not everyday and very limited) - Almond, Cashew, Walnut
- Occasional Treats: Sunflower Seed, Peanut and Peanut Butter and yes I'll admit it on "occasion" a bite of Potato Chips - Their favorite is corn chips and its probably the only food they would fly through fire for when the bag is pulled out ... but this is on the very rare occasion and only a bite or two each.
- Popped Popcorn.

Of all the food offered the foods favored would be the Bird Bread and the Vegetables and of course the light sunflower seeds - I was thrilled when they liked the Harrison's Bird Bread, for some reason I just felt it was the most healthy.
Pado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 01:09 PM   #8
catfish

Wilder, I can't believe (not that I'm saying you are lying) that your vet said that! My vet wants all birds to be on a mostly pelleted diet, but she emphasizes that they need more than that. She recommends a little of all foods with plenty of fresh veggies, and fruit as treats. She even says seed as a treat or early morning breakfast. The pellets are just to make sure they keep the fat content lower and making sure that all RDA of vitamins and minerals are met, as well as protein.

I believe that the same thing can be done by feeding non commercial foods, but only in birds that are not very picky and are willing to eat just about anything you give them. I provide pellets to my flock and they munch on them along with the seed and various other foods.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:12 PM   #9
catfish

I don't think I have the perfect diet for my birds, but I try.

Well in the mornings I cook about 2 tablespoons of beak appetit. Normally it's gone within an 1-2 hours.

I provide about 2 tbsp of seed and about 1-2 tbsp of pellets (about 1 tbsp mixed in with seed and 1 tbsp in a separate bowel). all the time

I eat a lot of steam bag vegetables, so I give the mixture I am eating (typically green beans). I also give spinach, carrots, and sometimes sweet potato. This is about every day to every other day. THis is in the evenings around 5-6.

I try to give 2-3x a week a bit of fruit, ranges from berries and bananas to apples. I will also give a bit of whole wheat bread. normally in the evenings

I also give some sprouts that I grow in a mason jar. I bought the kit at Akins and buy seed from the store. It takes about 3 days to grow, so for about half a week they get sprouts mixed in with beak appetit.

Wilder- Oh and lol yeah that was when I was trying to snap pics of Hpnotiq and she would not sit still. I tried to snap a pic and she turned around and stuck her butt out.... such an odd little girl.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:23 PM   #10
Wilder

Quote:
Originally Posted by catfish View Post
The pellets are just to make sure they keep the fat content lower and making sure that all RDA of vitamins and minerals are met, as well as protein.
This has me honestly curious. What ARE the recommended daily allowances for parrotlets? Or budgies or conures? Do we know for sure what those are? I did a search and only found vague answers to that question. I'm going to look a bit more, but if anyone knows the answer, go ahead and post it. Might save others some time!

(And yes, my vet really did say that. Just goes to show that even the vets vary in their opinion on a proper diet. What's a parrot owner to do?)