Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots

Go Back   Talk Parrotlets Forums > Parrotlets > Parrotlet Articles

Notices

Parrotlet Articles Check in here to read all about parrotlets! Lots of information will be posted here. Also, feel free to post your own articles here. (All threads posted here must be approved before they're displayed.)

Toxic Plants

list

This thread has 20 replies and has been viewed 7805 times.

Old 05-21-2008, 08:51 AM   #11
lisa10

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Owner

lisa10 is on a distinguished road

Hi Pado,
thanks for the info!
Lisa
lisa10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-21-2008, 03:28 PM   #12
Pado

Parrotlets Owned: 2

Pado is on a distinguished road

You're welcome - But Reta deserves the thanks - I just recalled her mentioning something about parsley. She has lots and lots of great info posted throughout the site on Avian Diet.
Pado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 11:48 AM   #13
lily

lily is on a distinguished road

I think some of these lists are generic; that the researcher did not study what species is made sick by what plant. For example, we all know that poison ivy leaves a rash if humans touch it (or, for some, just get close to it), and would certainly cause a bad reaction if they ate it. Yet poison ivy berries are one of the most valuable winter foods for the wild birds here in Ohio. Polkberries are also eaten by wild birds here, but are very poisonous to people.

As for parsley (and some other valuable nutritional herbs on the list), I have read many articles by respected parrot experts who use and recommend it and some other herbs on the list. Parsley does have some medicinal value for people, but it is the quantity and frequency that makes it a medicine. Allowing a bird to munch on parsley isn't going to poison him.

I prefer to work with lists that have the Latin names with the plants because of the confusion possible from going by the common names. Pigweed, for example, is a name for different plants in different parts of the country. I can think of three different plants that go by the name "myrtle."

That said, for goodness sake, please don't think the list is useless! Use is as a valuable guide, and triple check any food or chew item you want to give your bird!
lily is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #14
MaggiesMom

Parrotlets Owned: 1
Experience: Parrotlet Lover

MaggiesMom is on a distinguished road

I have a jasmine plant so I'm glad that I read this! I will be sure to monitor the bird from the plant with my life. The list though lists almost every plant/ flower I can think of, is there a list of houseplants that are certain to be safe so that I don't have to live in a plantless house?

I am extra sensitive to this because a parakeet I had when I was much younger died from chewing on some ivy plants we had in the house, I was completely uninformed about it's toxicity.

MaggiesMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:21 PM   #15
lily

Hmmmm, houseplants. The lady at the bird store says Boston fern is safe if birds chew on it. Most of the plants I keep indoors are not "houseplants," so it is hard to think of others... Palms ought to be safe. I have heard that parrots will peel the toxic part of Aloe vera off and eat the gelatinous part when they need it. Asparagus fern is safe for cats to chew, so it would be another to check. (Checkl first. These are just ideas--don't just take my word for it!)
Old 06-04-2008, 11:27 PM   #16
lily

P.S. If you google and find out that these houseplants are okay for birds to chew, that doesn't necessairly mean you can buy them and let the birds play on them. Greenhouses use toxic chemicals to control insects! These can be sprayed onto the plant or fed to it. Ask questions and give any possible chemicals time to become harmless. Except for the palm, you can get these plants by asking a friend (who does not use chemicals on his or her houseplants) for divisions.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:56 AM   #17
ladybug

Experience: Parrotlet Enthusiast

ladybug is on a distinguished road

Are you sure sorghum is toxic, or is it just parrots. My outside birds and the four leggeds love it
ladybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 12:28 PM   #18
Lore

Lore is on a distinguished road

Can anyone tell me if Spider Plants (Chlorophytum comosum) are safe plants for parrotlets? I know they are safe for cats and dogs, but can cause nausea if they eat too much of it. Obviously dogs and cats are completely different animals from birds though :P

I own two spider plants, they have great air-purifying purposes and I love how they seem to 'climb down' from my cabinet when tiny spider plants grow out
But of course I wouldn't want to risk poisoning my pets if they accidentally end up there and eat some of it!
Lore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:10 PM   #19
Mrs.JP3
Super Moderator

Parrotlets Owned: 3

Mrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the roughMrs.JP3 is a jewel in the rough

This is my go to list for safe/toxic plants and food. Spider Plant is under the safe Foliage section by the household name.
http://www.parrot-and-conure-world.c...for-birds.html
Mrs.JP3 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 01:41 PM   #20
Lore

Lore is on a distinguished road

Great! Thanks a lot
I'll make sure to bookmark that page. I'm sure it'll come in handy in the future!
Lore is offline   Reply With Quote